The Student Room Group

Smart people only!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Laomedeia
You will never get this one.
If the words joke, spoke and coke all end in 'ke', why is the yellow bit of an egg spelled differently?

Original post by paradoxicalme
It's not. It's spelled y-o-l-k, not d-i-f-f-e-r-e-n-t-l-y.

:tongue:

See, I was right.
Words taken too literally by person who lacks judgement to realize their intended definition.
Original post by Medically
Well the answer is 1 because if 1=4 then 4=1 well done to the people who got it right.

Try answering this:

A young man brought a gold fish and went to the beach, but the man accidentally dropped the gold fish in the water. After three months later, the man could not find his gold fish. However, one day the man was thirsty so he opened the tap and what came out?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Water.

Posted this, then realised there's 10 more pages.
I should have read the title.
Original post by cole-slaw
Suppose there are three cards:

A black card that is black on both sides,

A white card that is white on both sides, and

A mixed card that is black on one side and white on the other.

All the cards are placed into a hat and one is pulled at random and placed on a table. The side facing up is black. What are the odds that the other side is also black?

1/3

All the cards are placed into a hat and one is pulled at random and placed on a table. The side facing up is black. What are the odds that the other side is also black?

2/3

Posted from TSR Mobile

1/2
(edited 9 years ago)

50/50

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 186

50/50
Reply 187
What came first, chicken or egg?

Posted from TSR Mobile
This question is a bit tricky though, good luck:

A rich man went to a bad country, were the criminal level is very high. Therefore, the rich man hired a bodyguard to protect the rich man when he sleeps. After a few months, the rich man wanted to go back to his country. However, the bodyguard told the rich man that he had a dream that the plane will explode and crash. Few days later, it was announced on the news that the plane crashed and exploded. At the same time, the rich man told the bodyguard "thank you for saving my life, but I will fire you".

Why did the rich man fire the bodyguard?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Was the bodyguard responsible for the crash?

2/3 - Surprised I remembered Bayes Theorem from Probability this year lol

Definitely 2/3.

The cards are A(B1,B2), B(W1,W2), C(B1,W2)

Now you are either looking at A(B1), A(B2) or C(B1). Of these three possibilities, two of them will have black on the other side, namely A(B1) and A(B2).

Therefore the answer is 2/3. (Please excuse my poor notation but I hope it helps you see the logic.)

Posted from TSR Mobile

the egg: the first modern day chicken will have been a mutation or hybrid of (a) very similar but nonetheless different bird(s)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 192
Your IQ

Posted from TSR Mobile

egg

Original post by mynameisntbobk
1/3

Original post by pjm600
1/2

Original post by Qari
50/50

Original post by Harvey.Specter
2/3 - Surprised I remembered Bayes Theorem from Probability this year lol

Original post by Doctor_Einstein
Definitely 2/3.

The cards are A(B1,B2), B(W1,W2), C(B1,W2)

Now you are either looking at A(B1), A(B2) or C(B1). Of these three possibilities, two of them will have black on the other side, namely A(B1) and A(B2).

Therefore the answer is 2/3. (Please excuse my poor notation but I hope it helps you see the logic.)

Correct answer is 2/3rds. Now use the same reasoning on this question:

Mr. Smith is the father of two. We meet him walking along the street with a young boy whom he proudly introduces as his son. What is the probability that Mr. Smith’s other child is also a boy?

Mr. Smith is the father of two. We meet him walking along the street with a young boy whom he proudly introduces as his son. What is the probability that Mr. Smith’s other child is also a boy?

It depends how you think about it, you could say that the events aren't linked and it's still 50/50 (what I would probably do) or go for the conditional probability route and get an answer of 1/3 (if I've done my calulations right)
Original post by Arithmeticae
It depends how you think about it, you could say that the events aren't linked and it's still 50/50 (what I would probably do) or go for the conditional probability route and get an answer of 1/3 (if I've done my calulations right)

If you do the conditional probability route, be sure to use the full Bayesian method...

If Mr. Smith had 2 children, then he could have these combinations:

Older Child Younger Child
Male Male
Male Female
Female Male
Female Female

Of course only the first three combinations are possible since you know he has at least 1 male child.

Now of those three combinations only 1 of them would result in the other child also being a boy.

Therefore there is a 1/3 chance that his other child is also a boy.

Note: If however you were given that you were viewing the older/younger son, then it can be easily shown that the chance is instead 1/2.
Original post by Doctor_Einstein
If Mr. Smith had 2 children, then he could have these combinations:

Older Child Younger Child
Male Male
Male Female
Female Male
Female Female

Of course only the first three combinations are possible since you know he has at least 1 male child.

Now of those three combinations only 1 of them would result in the other child also being a boy.

Therefore there is a 1/3 chance that his other child is also a boy.

Note: If however you were given that you were viewing the older/younger son, then it can be easily shown that the chance is instead 1/2.

Nope... use the same reasoning as you used on the card question.

Its basically the same question.
My school never taught me maths, I learnt by playing tribal wars.

However, a bit of common sense applies but since I had the other question wrong and had no understanding of how it was worked out, I can say its 50/50 chance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest