The Student Room Group

Cambridge stem smart programme

People, who do it what is it like? I have already applied for it but I would still like to know what was it like and did you find it useful.
hi im in year 13 and have been doing it since this time last year, id highly recommend i have learnt a lot and the residential was amazing:smile:
Reply 2
Original post by oliviacantmath
hi im in year 13 and have been doing it since this time last year, id highly recommend i have learnt a lot and the residential was amazing:smile:

I just got accepted lucky. If you don’t mind me asking what kind of things did you do there? How helpful was it?
Original post by Rainyzack
I just got accepted lucky. If you don’t mind me asking what kind of things did you do there? How helpful was it?

yay!! the residential you mean?? ok so i stayed at st johns college, we got a tour of the college and of cambridge like where engineering classes are etc. most days we were at cavendish labs doing lectures on a lot of the problems we had been set over the course of the programme on isaac physics. we did an experiment to do with diffraction with some current students. we also did practice for the nsaa with the tutors, and watched a mock interview, they were extremely encouraging and optimistic about us all applying haha. we did some nice group evening activities and i made some lovely friends hehe.
overall extremely helpful because you are lectured by real cambridge teachers and tbh i had LOADS to put in my personal statement :smile: youll really enjoy it, plus im now slightly ahead of my class for year 13 because of how we went beyond the year 12 spec and sometimes even to uni level lol!!
Reply 4
yay!! the residential you mean?? ok so i stayed at st johns college, we got a tour of the college and of cambridge like where engineering classes are etc. most days we were at cavendish labs doing lectures on a lot of the problems we had been set over the course of the programme on isaac physics. we did an experiment to do with diffraction with some current students. we also did practice for the nsaa with the tutors, and watched a mock interview, they were extremely encouraging and optimistic about us all applying haha. we did some nice group evening activities and i made some lovely friends hehe.
overall extremely helpful because you are lectured by real cambridge teachers and tbh i had LOADS to put in my personal statement :smile: youll really enjoy it, plus im now slightly ahead of my class for year 13 because of how we went beyond the year 12 spec and sometimes even to uni level lol!!

Thanks for responding to my message. Hopefully I be able to go onto the residential as well. Since you in year 13 I’m assuming your applying to university, good luck and I hope you get into all the unis you want
Original post by Rainyzack
Thanks for responding to my message. Hopefully I be able to go onto the residential as well. Since you in year 13 I’m assuming your applying to university, good luck and I hope you get into all the unis you want

thank you i hope you get to go on it as well!
Reply 6

hi! if you don't mind answering, was the residential only for a select amount of people or could anyone join? and did you have to pay for anything? also, how was the transport to go there? thanks!
Original post by BokLok
hi! if you don't mind answering, was the residential only for a select amount of people or could anyone join? and did you have to pay for anything? also, how was the transport to go there? thanks!

Hi, I'm a fellow student on STEM Smart at the moment so I can't provide all the answers with hindsight, but I've asked the tutor groups about a few of these things. To my knowledge, it's split into phases. Phase one is the lectures and assignments we get weekly. Phase two - the residential, appears to be a select amount of people. From what I understand, it's based on "engagement", which I suppose is attendance and how many of the questions you attempt. I think it is ok if you can't answer questions though as long as you try. I think accommodation is also free, but we probably have to pay for transport - that's just a guess though, there's probably systems in place if it's unaffordable. Good luck getting in.
Original post by BokLok

hey, I got into the residential by progressing onto phase 2 I think? or 3 unsure. lots of people got into it there was so many people on it! all u have to do is be consistent with the work.
everything was free, food, accommodation,literally everything. we got reimbursement for travel, we had to make our own way there but they paid everything back to us for me it was train fees. hope this helped:smile:
Reply 9
hey, I got into the residential by progressing onto phase 2 I think? or 3 unsure. lots of people got into it there was so many people on it! all u have to do is be consistent with the work.
everything was free, food, accommodation,literally everything. we got reimbursement for travel, we had to make our own way there but they paid everything back to us for me it was train fees. hope this helped:smile:

thank you!!
Reply 10
Original post by GayAngel
Hi, I'm a fellow student on STEM Smart at the moment so I can't provide all the answers with hindsight, but I've asked the tutor groups about a few of these things. To my knowledge, it's split into phases. Phase one is the lectures and assignments we get weekly. Phase two - the residential, appears to be a select amount of people. From what I understand, it's based on "engagement", which I suppose is attendance and how many of the questions you attempt. I think it is ok if you can't answer questions though as long as you try. I think accommodation is also free, but we probably have to pay for transport - that's just a guess though, there's probably systems in place if it's unaffordable. Good luck getting in.

thank you!!
if you want an idea of what we did at cambs, here's the timetable from the 2022 residential... https://isaacphysics.org/pages/smart_res_22_c3?stage=a_level

last year accom was free and travel is reimbursed for everyone. top tip to maximise engagement - you can complete tricky questions after the tutorial, or if you still don't understand it go and ask some teachers at school :wink:
I got into stem smart this year and it’s way more than I expected how were you able to manage with school, other extracurriculars and work?
Also can you do the weekly assignments after the due date?
And does anyone know any good math YouTubers for a level maths because the hints in the assignments don’t help and my maths teacher is more lost than me🤦🏽*♀️
Reply 14
Original post by Anonymous #2
I got into stem smart this year and it’s way more than I expected how were you able to manage with school, other extracurriculars and work?
Also can you do the weekly assignments after the due date?
And does anyone know any good math YouTubers for a level maths because the hints in the assignments don’t help and my maths teacher is more lost than me🤦🏽*♀️

Bicen maths is the goat. Also use Zeeshan and Tl maths. Bicen maths has a whole file on questions and notes on every topic in the a level maths spec. I am also in stem smart and I asked one of the tutors if we can do the assignments after the due date and he said its fine. You also don't need to complete 100 percent every week i say be consistent and aim for around 80 percent of the assignments done every week if you want to go the residential.
Original post by wjdjcje32
Bicen maths is the goat. Also use Zeeshan and Tl maths. Bicen maths has a whole file on questions and notes on every topic in the a level maths spec. I am also in stem smart and I asked one of the tutors if we can do the assignments after the due date and he said its fine. You also don't need to complete 100 percent every week i say be consistent and aim for around 80 percent of the assignments done every week if you want to go the residential.

Thank you🙏🏽🙏🏽

Hello! i am on the STEM Smart course too right now and i take it you are in year 13 now? I am wondering how helpful the course is for uni applications/ how helpful it is for Cambridge specifically, if you applied or know anyone that did. Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending