The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1180
Oxy
Isn't Professor Olsen a legend:p:

Oh have you got academic rents yet? I think I'm going to become an orphan :frown:

Professer Olsen is scary! And i am looking for children, where are all the freshers!
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 1181
sophie_c
You won't be an orphan, don't worry! You've got agesss yet! :wink:

mousy
Professer Olsen is scary! And i am looking for children, where are all the freshers!

Is it true he was born without the ability to regulate the volume of his voice?
M_E_X
Is it true he was born without the ability to regulate the volume of his voice?

.......who?

sorry, I don't so maths :frown:
Reply 1183
sophie_c
.......who?

sorry, I don't so maths :frown:

Sorry! Must've quoted you by accident. I'm talking about Prof. Olsen.
Reply 1184
Oxy

Just remember - never add matrices of different sizes. Your paper will spontaneously self-construct :P

Have you looked at his lecture notes?!

I never need to attend one of his lectures again! :biggrin:
Reply 1185
Bucky!
Just remember - never add matrices of different sizes. Your paper will spontaneously self-construct :P

Have you looked at his lecture notes?!

I never need to attend one of his lectures again! :biggrin:

Yeah, I got them. They're awesome :biggrin:

I love how he says equation lol.

mousy

*waves* :biggrin:
Oxy

Oh have you got academic rents yet? I think I'm going to become an orphan :frown:

I didn't like him to be honest!

Yeah my parents are the senior and deputy senior students of my hall :p:
It's awesome :cool:
Reply 1187
I must say that my introduction to the world of eccentric professors of mathematics was an enjoyable one.

Meteorshower

You just resent having to repeat the latter half of Advanced Higher: the guy's fantastic!
Oogamy

You just resent having to repeat the latter half of Advanced Higher: the guy's fantastic!

That may have a grain of truth to it :p:

A professor i'm really forward to potentially having in the future is Chris Hooley, I saw him at the debate on Tuesday and he is my kind of eccentric! Does physics too :cool:
This week has gone ridiculously fast in comparison to last.
necessarily benevolent
This week has gone ridiculously fast in comparison to last.

So true! I think having some structure with lectures existing now helps. I look forward very much to knowing when all my workshop/lab/tutorial times are though, so chaotic trying to fit everything in.
Reply 1191
Meteorshower

You're scarier than him now.
PeterR
You're scarier than him now.

Well it doesn't matter, I switched to MT2001 so I don't get him any more :p:
Reply 1193
Meteorshower
Well it doesn't matter, I switched to MT2001 so I don't get him any more :p:

They let you into that? :mad:

My american friend has done 2 years of university calculus and they still didnt let him skip 1002. Who did you ask?
Oxy
They let you into that? :mad:

My american friend has done 2 years of university calculus and they still didnt let him skip 1002. Who did you ask?

My advisor asked the prodean and he let me switch. My maths grades from last year were pretty good, maybe if your friend has just done calculus though he might have some blind spots? I dunno. I got the feeling switching to 2001, wasn't that big an issue, it was being allowed to keep doing astrophysics that was harder :p:
Reply 1195
Meteorshower
My advisor asked the prodean and he let me switch. My maths grades from last year were pretty good, maybe if your friend has just done calculus though he might have some blind spots? I dunno. I got the feeling switching to 2001, wasn't that big an issue, it was being allowed to keep doing astrophysics that was harder :p:

Yeah maybe, he said his adviser was the one that wouldn't let him skip 1002. Hmm
Talking to people I get the impression that if your advisor is a physicist, they're more likely to let you skip mt1002, but if your advisor is a mathematician you probably won't be allowed to.
Reply 1197
St Andrews university challenge on at the union tonight, 7:30 :smile: I'm going, should be fun!
If they win, I'm applying. I base my choices on the important things y'see.
That was some victory! It was quite fun to watch in the union :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending