The Student Room Group

Finding it hard to bulk up.

Okay, so here i go, some of this might sound stupid but yeah.
Ive been training just over a year, on average I train about 6 times a week, I do 2x 3 day splits, but I'm struggling to gain weight.
this is my split
Monday: Chest, Triceps
Tuesday: Back, Biceps, Shoulders
Wednesday: Legs
Thursday:Chest Triceps
Friday: Back, Biceps, Shoulders
Saturday: Legs
Sunday: Nothing.
I'm religious about training, so has anyone got any tips? I've tried eating more but I just become fat.
Original post by HaarryJ
Okay, so here i go, some of this might sound stupid but yeah.
Ive been training just over a year, on average I train about 6 times a week, I do 2x 3 day splits, but I'm struggling to gain weight.
this is my split
Monday: Chest, Triceps
Tuesday: Back, Biceps, Shoulders
Wednesday: Legs
Thursday:Chest Triceps
Friday: Back, Biceps, Shoulders
Saturday: Legs
Sunday: Nothing.
I'm religious about training, so has anyone got any tips? I've tried eating more but I just become fat.

You train 6 days a week. That's your problem.

Train 2-3 times a week with rest days and do compound movements like squats and dead lifts to pack on muscle.
Also eat more food.

As simple as 1, 2,3

Posted from TSR Mobile
What is your actual routine like? Exercises, sets, reps, weights and progression?
Reply 3
Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo
What is your actual routine like? Exercises, sets, reps, weights and progression?

Chest and Triceps:
Both flat and Inclined bench press, Flyes and cross overs.
Tricep extensions, Parallel dips

Back and Biceps amd shoulders:
T bar rows, single dumbell rows, lat pull downs, barbell rows
barbell curl, dumbbell curl, hammer curls.
dumbell press, both stood up and seated lateral raises. Rear dumbell rows.

Legs:
Squats, leg extensions, hamstring curls both seated and lying down. both stood and seated calf raises.

i usually work between 3 X 10-12 rep range

Thanks
Follow a proper/better routine.

There are lots to choose from. Plenty of people seem to like ICF, I really liked 5/3/1 with boring but big when I tried it.
Reply 5
Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo
Follow a proper/better routine.

There are lots to choose from. Plenty of people seem to like ICF, I really liked 5/3/1 with boring but big when I tried it.

Ohh, whats ICF?
1. eat more calories

2. get on a proper routine, (ICF 5x5, stronglifts, all pro's etc)
(edited 9 years ago)
Routine isn't even that important. If you're not getting bigger you're not eating enough. Simple.

A car won't run without fuel, nor can the body. Eat big to get big.

/thread
Two reasons.

I don't care what you say, you aren't eating enough. If you eat good, healthy food including plenty of fruit and veg as well as things like good quality fish, meat and eggs, you will get strong before you get fat. Vegetables are the forgotten supplement. Take daily in large doses.

Secondly stop doing pussy, isolation-heavy, bodypart-split routines. For beginners, size and strength are directly correlated, so you will not get bigger without getting stronger and vice versa! You need to do a full-body routine which focusses on regular strength progression in big, compound lifts. It's good that you do things like squats at all, too many don't, but they aren't just there for a pump. If you manage to increase your max weights across things like squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead press, rows and chin-ups, you 100% will be bigger. I cannot stress enough how much you should focus on strength first, even if it isn't your aim. I recommend checking out Starting Strength, Stronglifts, or Westside for Skinny Bastards 4, they have all helped infinitely more beginners put on size than any of the routines you see on BB.com or equivalent.
If the guy is eating enough to put on body fat (he says when he has tried eating more he gets fat) then at least at these points in time he was eating more than enough.

Quick Reply

Latest