The Student Room Group

Do Russell Group unis have clearing spaces for psych? Which one would be my best bet?

I've firmed Manchester for speech and language therapy (AAB offer) but I've decided now that I don't really want to do it, and I want to do psychology instead. Not particularly picky on a specific uni but I would like a Russell Group.

I'm predicted A*AA in sociology, psychology and English lit on UCAS, but I'm on track to get A* in both psych and sociology, and A in English. I know psych is popular and probably hard to get into through clearing, so currently my plan is to do a gap year and reapply, but I think I'd like to at least try to get a place this year.
Reply 1
Original post by inespatrick25
I've firmed Manchester for speech and language therapy (AAB offer) but I've decided now that I don't really want to do it, and I want to do psychology instead. Not particularly picky on a specific uni but I would like a Russell Group.

I'm predicted A*AA in sociology, psychology and English lit on UCAS, but I'm on track to get A* in both psych and sociology, and A in English. I know psych is popular and probably hard to get into through clearing, so currently my plan is to do a gap year and reapply, but I think I'd like to at least try to get a place this year.

My daughter is currently in year 2 of psych degree at Bristol and loving it! Good luck!

Nobody can tell who will be in clearing this year. Typically each year there are approx 1/2 dozen RG in clearing for most subjects. Cardiff, Liverpool, Sheffield and Southampton have most courses in clearing but there is no guarantee of that. Also look at somewhere like Lancaster. Very good university and every bit as good as RG.
I have just checked ucas course search and Birmingham, Liverpool and Queen Mary are the only RG universities currently showing vacancies for Psychology. There are many very good non RG showing vacancies. If you want to change course you would be better declining all your offers now and applying in extra as these vacancies may get filled before clearing. It is unlikely any university not in extra will reopen for clearing. All the others believe they will fill their spaces
Reply 4
A gap year may be the better option since many of the top unis did not go into clearing last year because they were full up. RG is now defunct - lots of great unis that are not in RG e.g. Bath, Loughborough, Lancaster.
Note that the bulk of clearing options get added on results day, so you should check then. Just because something isn't listed in clearing now doesn't mean it won't be at that point.

Also RG isn't really important for psychology if your plan is to become a professional (e.g. clinical, educational, forensic etc) psychologist. I'd note also one of the stronger psychology courses in the UK is at Bath, which isn't an RG uni.

If you’ve firmed Manchester then why not just ring them up and ask about swapping your offer to psychology?
Anything in the top 20 is fine, there will be some in clearing. Accommodation is what you need to be worried about, I would get phoning now to be honest.
Reply 8
Clearing isn’t open until July, isn’t it?

Quick Reply

Latest