The Student Room Group

Classics ab initio interview

Hi, I'm going to be applying for the Classics ab initio course (4 years) at Cambridge, with no A-level background in Classics. On the website it says that there is a test at interview and also an interview testing "language and language aptitude".

Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm wondering what sort of questions I will get asked in the language interview, given that I have very little former experience with languages besides English, and what sort of thing will be in the test - as well as how I might prepare.
Reply 1
Original post by efjc
This isn't really something you can prep for - and don't worry about it! It'll just be on area of Latin chosen completely at random, they'll teach you for an hour, then you get tested - NO previous knowledge required.

I went through this process and secured a place and will be going up in October. I have no background in Classics but I did do a language A level.

Thanks for the response! :smile:

What would an "area of Latin" be? I imagine it'd have to be quite specific - could you suggest some example(s)?

Was there a "linguistics" or "language aptitude" test element for you? I understand they examine with that sort of thing for Oxford's ab initio Latin.
Reply 2
Original post by efjc
We were taught the Ablative Absolute (but obviously this changes every year) - this is the language aptitude test.

Ah I see... isn't that a bit unfair, as some people could have say GCSE-level Latin background, and others absolutely nought?

Though clearly it worked out for you just fine!
Reply 3
Original post by efjc
They completely take this into account and will make a decision accordingly :smile:

Ah sure.

How did they test the Ablative Absolute, and was the test written/formal or part of an interview?

By the way, which college are you in for?
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending