The Student Room Group

which Cambridge languages degree to choose

I'm applying to Cambridge to do French + another language, but I'm not entirely sure which to pick as my second yet. I was originally thinking either Italian or Russian and so would apply for Medieval and Modern Languages. However, I've been thinking about what language I'd like to do quite a bit recently, and think that Arabic would be really fascinating. It isn't possible to combine French + Arabic under MML, but it is possible under Asian and Middle Eastern Studies. My worries about applying for AMES though are that they would expect my personal statement to be something which it just isn't since it's very french focused (though the books I mention are based in Algeria so vaguely could be linked to arabic, but I can't do much to edit my personal statement now), and that this whole idea of studying Arabic is something I'm just going to change my mind about quickly. As far as I'm aware, for MML you just indicate your desired languages on the separate Cambridge application and it is possible to change your ab initio language choice. Would it be possible to just apply for MML, choose a language I'd be happy with as my second, but see if its possible to swap if I get a place? Should I just apply for AMES and hope they see that french is my primary focus currently but explain my interest for arabic in the Cambridge application? idk, any help would be really appreciated thanks :smile:
Original post by Anonymous #1
I'm applying to Cambridge to do French + another language, but I'm not entirely sure which to pick as my second yet. I was originally thinking either Italian or Russian and so would apply for Medieval and Modern Languages. However, I've been thinking about what language I'd like to do quite a bit recently, and think that Arabic would be really fascinating. It isn't possible to combine French + Arabic under MML, but it is possible under Asian and Middle Eastern Studies. My worries about applying for AMES though are that they would expect my personal statement to be something which it just isn't since it's very french focused (though the books I mention are based in Algeria so vaguely could be linked to arabic, but I can't do much to edit my personal statement now), and that this whole idea of studying Arabic is something I'm just going to change my mind about quickly. As far as I'm aware, for MML you just indicate your desired languages on the separate Cambridge application and it is possible to change your ab initio language choice. Would it be possible to just apply for MML, choose a language I'd be happy with as my second, but see if its possible to swap if I get a place? Should I just apply for AMES and hope they see that french is my primary focus currently but explain my interest for arabic in the Cambridge application? idk, any help would be really appreciated thanks :smile:

probably too late but what did you choose to do??
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous #2
probably too late but what did you choose to do??

MML for french and ab initio portuguese :smile: bit of a rogue choice tbh but after a lot of consideration it felt like the best choice. i won't go into detail but due to extenuating circumstances i'm having currently, applying for MML seemed like it would give me the strongest chance I could with making a competitive application.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending