The Student Room Group

If I support gender rights, does that automatically make me a Feminist?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by louieee
can you repeat it again because I don't understand, sir

Sure, it's a just a 'bump' really
One does not have to be a feminist to support gender equality.

If you need any further help in understanding basic things ...tying your shoes, not wetting yourself ...why you should not stand in the middle of the M25, seek the advice of your nearest adult.
No.
That moment you realize you are a feminist...

I'm right handed. If I punch you with my left did I still punch you?

feminism literally is striving for equality between all genders. It focuses on womens rights because traditionally women have had less rights then men.

if it were in a matriarchal society, a similar movement for equality between all genders would focus on raising the standard of mens rights so that they'd have equality with women.
Original post by louieee
you fit the definition of the word 'feminist' entirely by wanting gender equality, t's only due to the radical feminist culture that the stigma around feminism makes it so undesirable to be one (even though many people are feminists without realising it). It's either be a feminist or be sexist, by definition. You are either one or the other.

eh? No it isn't.

Feminism is the advocacy of women's rights whereas sexism is prejudicial treatment of women.

There is a middle ground between not being a feminist and not being prejudiced.
Original post by Rosasaurr
I'm right handed. If I punch you with my left did I still punch you?

feminism literally is striving for equality between all genders. It focuses on womens rights because traditionally women have had less rights then men.

if it were in a matriarchal society, a similar movement for equality between all genders would focus on raising the standard of mens rights so that they'd have equality with women.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not.

Feminism is the advocacy of improved female rights on the basis of gender equality.

The movement itself by definition does not care for areas where men are treated worse than women. This means that feminism by itself is not sufficient for gender equality and it means that believers of gender equality need not identify as feminist.

Alternatively I would argue that anyone who is feminist should also be a masculanist since it's all for gender equality right? Ultimately there's no real point identifying by any side when egalitarianism includes it all.
Original post by ThatPerson
eh? No it isn't.

Feminism is the advocacy of women's rights whereas sexism is prejudicial treatment of women.

There is a middle ground between not being a feminist and not being prejudiced.

okay, well can you explain this "middle ground" because I can't understand how someone who doesn't want women to have equal rights to men can be not sexist.
Original post by louieee
okay, well can you explain this "middle ground" because I can't understand how someone who doesn't want women to have equal rights to men can be not sexist.

Not being a feminist doesn't imply that you don't want women to have equal rights. It means you don't advocate women's rights, which is quite a bit different.

Therefore there is a middle ground between actively promoting women's rights (and therefore identifying as a feminist) and being sexist.
Original post by ThatPerson
Not being a feminist doesn't imply that you don't want women to have equal rights. It means you don't advocate women's rights, which is quite a bit different.

Therefore there is a middle ground between actively promoting women's rights (and therefore identifying as a feminist) and being sexist.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I see, thankyou (sincerely) for pointing that out

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending