The Student Room Group

Big problem for freshers - no ID!!

Hi,

My passport is expired and I have sent it to them today to have it renewed. They said it will take about 4 weeks. My freshers will be from 20th and will be one week.

Because my passport has expired I cannot apply for a provisional license and citizencards are not really accepted in London clubs.

Btw I am going to be studying at UCL. If I buy tickets for events before hand and take my Student ID will that not be enough. This will be at big venues in London.
Sometimes they accept expired passports as ID, but you've already sent yours off...You could be surprised by how early they send your new passport. Last year they sent mine within two weeks of applying. If nothing else works you could perhaps try borrowing an older sibling's ID? Best of luck & hope you enjoy freshers
Reply 2
Original post by tnetennba
Sometimes they accept expired passports as ID, but you've already sent yours off...You could be surprised by how early they send your new passport. Last year they sent mine within two weeks of applying. If nothing else works you could perhaps try borrowing an older sibling's ID? Best of luck & hope you enjoy freshers

Okay I will try doing that! Do they accept expired passports a lot?
Original post by wkahn

Yeah well I work in a pub and we're allowed to accept them. All we check for is the DOB, hologram and photo. I suppose the photo would be your main problem because if your passport has expired it might not look like you anymore.
I reckon general pubs/bars/clubs without the verification machines will be ok with it :smile:
I didn't have a passport when I got my provisional are you sure you can't get one?
you might be lucky, I cant see a lot of people applying for passports in September as it's not 'holiday season' - then again I could be wrong.

and when I had my passport renewed (in March) it only took about 2 weeks.
Get a provisional, I haven't got a passport and just got a provisional licence
You're really just going to have to hope the passport comes back in time.

The expired passport may not have been accepted anyway - when I was a barmaid I remember someone trying to hand over a passport with a picture of a toddler on it. All you could tell was that it was the same sex and ethnicity to the person in front of me. He didn't get served.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wkahn

I'd be surprised if a club bouncer would notice that it was expired, they tend to just check photo then DOB.
Original post by cjhamping
Get a provisional, I haven't got a passport and just got a provisional licence

same
Reply 10
Original post by wkahn
Hi,

My passport is expired and I have sent it to them today to have it renewed. They said it will take about 4 weeks. My freshers will be from 20th and will be one week.

Because my passport has expired I cannot apply for a provisional license and citizencards are not really accepted in London clubs.

Btw I am going to be studying at UCL. If I buy tickets for events before hand and take my Student ID will that not be enough. This will be at big venues in London.

Not to be Mr.un-fun here, but nevermind freshers - how are you going to enrol?? If the PI won't take an expired passport, you think UCL will?
Reply 11
Original post by wkahn
Hi,

If it doesn't come in time there's not much you can do. You might as well just give the expired passport a go I work at Tesco and very rarely check if its expired
I also didn't need/have a passport when I apllied for my provisional license.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending