The Student Room Group

Combined Honours at Durham?

Hi all,

I'm considering applying for this course (social sciences I think) at Durham. However my personal statement will be a History and Economics PS, which is one subject in the arts and the other in the social sciences. My question is whether that is ok and whether it would put me at a disadvantage?

Also do Durham put a lot of emphasis on AS grades and predicted or more on PS? I got A*(maths)aab (B in history) - worried about B because History v. competitive there?

Thanks for any help!!
The way I understand it (I was originally going to apply for the same course, then changed due to the grade requirements) is that it's perfectly okay. Durham recognise that there are few universities who offer such similar combined courses, and the whole design of the programme is to allow modules from across a wide range of subjects, so if you apply for CHSS, you can take up to half your modules from Arts or Science subjects (so 3 economics/3 history, or a skew one way or the other). I don't believe you even really have to disclose which subjects you want to do before you have to register for modules - of course, they may guess from your PS, but it's not certain, so they can't assume completely.

As far as the emphasis in offers goes, I believe they place the greatest emphasis on predicted grades, as they want to know that they're giving the offers to people capable of achieving them (though, of course, taking AS grades into account)! After that, it comes from the personal statement.

The website is pretty good, so have a look here :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending