The Student Room Group

Obama more famous than Cameron

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jammy Duel
Then why do Americans make a big deal about the British Royal Family, at least as big a deal as their own president when they aren't even there and play as good as NO role in global politics, hmmm?

that just simply isn't true. No one thinks that the british royal family is more important than the president (because they're not), though how this is relevant to anything, I have no idea...
Original post by TheTechN1304
that just simply isn't true. No one thinks that the british royal family is more important than the president (because they're not), though how this is relevant to anything, I have no idea...

You seem to be falsely correlating fame to interest to importance.
You seem to be falsely correlating fame to interest to importance.

so you're implying that the british royal family are more important than President Obama? Really?
so you're implying that the british royal family are more important than President Obama? Really?

Obama as an individual is unimportant, and you seem to have some rather bent logic to be correlating fame to be equal to importance and to interest.
If you gave most people the choice to see either Obama (or whichever President is relevant at the time) and one of the most famous celebrities which do you think they would choose? I'm inclined to say that most would rather meet the celebrity, especially if they rarely visit the country, does that mean that the celebrity is more important? No, it just means that the individual gives fewer ****s about the US president.

If you had a choice between taking a picture of a pigeon and a bird that rarely visits Britain which would you take the picture of? Probably the bird that is rarely in Britain because you have fewer opportunities than you do to get the pic of a pigeon.
Obama as an individual is unimportant, and you seem to have some rather bent logic to be correlating fame to be equal to importance and to interest.
If you gave most people the choice to see either Obama (or whichever President is relevant at the time) and one of the most famous celebrities which do you think they would choose? I'm inclined to say that most would rather meet the celebrity, especially if they rarely visit the country, does that mean that the celebrity is more important? No, it just means that the individual gives fewer ****s about the US president.

If you had a choice between taking a picture of a pigeon and a bird that rarely visits Britain which would you take the picture of? Probably the bird that is rarely in Britain because you have fewer opportunities than you do to get the pic of a pigeon.

For you to think Obama is unimportant shows what a fool you are. At no point have I said fame equals importance. Obama's importance stems from the fact that, again, he is president of the world's most powerful country and largest economy. He therefore is much more important than many other individuals in international relations. If you disagree then you are an idiot.
Maybe because he's the president of the ****ing United States of America
For you to think Obama is unimportant shows what a fool you are. At no point have I said fame equals importance. Obama's importance stems from the fact that, again, he is president of the world's most powerful country and largest economy. He therefore is much more important than many other individuals in international relations. If you disagree then you are an idiot.

Please point out exactly where I said he is unimportant, and where exactly inportance came up in the OP.
The question is why is it that more people will go out to see Obama when he is around compared to Cameron, not which is more important, or have you forgotten how to read?

And again, answer the question as to which you would rather see, something that you don't get many opportunities to see or something you could see relatively often if you wanted to?
Also, China.
Original post by Joshale
Why is it that globally, but even in the UK, President Obama is way more famous, or should I say more worthy to line up for hours upon ends to catch a glimpse of him? when most likely nobody would go to the trouble for David Cameron?

I say this as a person who is a fan of Barack Obama (despite not liking a lot of things he does, as opposed to David Cameron)

is it because he has excellent speeches and is able to connect to most people, rather than David Cameron dull and lifeless speeches?

Because Cameron is a politician. Obama is an international celebrity.

If Hitler was alive he would bring far more publicity and Obama, simply because he is a timeless figure.
David Cameron is out of touch and has no charisma. He doesn't even do a job of not pretending he's a prick. I mean look at Nigel Farage, he has to try his hardest everyday not to look like a racist, homophobic, xenophobic bigot. Cameron doesn't give a ****. Barrack Obama just seems like a normal guy apart from the fact he probably sleeps in a business suit and is surrounded by more burly men than a professional Rugby player would feel comfortable with.

I think he's implying Queen Elizabeth the 2nd is more important than President Obama. The presidency is more important, perhaps than being the Queen/King... but presidency is more than just one man. Obama will be a blip in time. 8 years max and he's gone. Queen Elizabeth 2nd has been head of state of one of the most powerful nations in recent history (including during its empire days) for 62 years now.
Original post by Welsh_insomniac
I think he's implying Queen Elizabeth the 2nd is more important than President Obama. The presidency is more important, perhaps than being the Queen/King... but presidency is more than just one man. Obama will be a blip in time. 8 years max and he's gone. Queen Elizabeth 2nd has been head of state of one of the most powerful nations in recent history (including during its empire days) for 62 years now.

Not even that :tongue:
Merely that if you want to see somebody, unless it's a paid performance, it's likely for the novelty and not at all related to how important they are, since I reckon most people would rather see a famous celebrity rather than a politician. Although, in many respects the Monarch of the United Kingdom and the other Commonwealth Realms and Supreme Governor of the Church of England is probably getting on for being as important as the President of the US, Queen Elizabeth II is definitely more symbolic than Obama and I wouldn't be surprised if globally she is the more "popular" figure.
But I don't think much of Obama, so I would rather meet the Royals (who I also don't think a great deal about) or Cameron any day.
Original post by Welsh_insomniac

The 'Empire days' does not describe any part of the last 62 years. The British Empire started to dissolve long before this. Wasn't even in power until after World Wars one and two.
Not even that :tongue:
Merely that if you want to see somebody, unless it's a paid performance, it's likely for the novelty and not at all related to how important they are, since I reckon most people would rather see a famous celebrity rather than a politician. Although, in many respects the Monarch of the United Kingdom and the other Commonwealth Realms and Supreme Governor of the Church of England is probably getting on for being as important as the President of the US, Queen Elizabeth II is definitely more symbolic than Obama and I wouldn't be surprised if globally she is the more "popular" figure.
But I don't think much of Obama, so I would rather meet the Royals (who I also don't think a great deal about) or Cameron any day.

At least Obama doesn't have an overestimated opinion of himself. People don't bow to him, or curtsy, and call him 'your majesty'
OBVIOUSLY practically no one outside of the UK knows Cameron, especially people who aren't into politics. Everyone and their dog knows who Obama is, even teenagers. Obama is:
1) American, therefore everyone would know him
2) President of the US, the most known president in the world
3) Has cartoons made for him so he's in a lot of TV and cinema media
4) Is 'cool' with teenagers so more people know about him

list could go on
Reply 34
Original post by Joshale
Why is it that globally, but even in the UK, President Obama is way more famous, or should I say more worthy to line up for hours upon ends to catch a glimpse of him? when most likely nobody would go to the trouble for David Cameron?

I say this as a person who is a fan of Barack Obama (despite not liking a lot of things he does, as opposed to David Cameron)

is it because he has excellent speeches and is able to connect to most people, rather than David Cameron dull and lifeless speeches?

The US President is seen as the leader of the free world - they have more prestige than any other world leader.
Original post by Share Sharqi
At least Obama doesn't have an overestimated opinion of himself. People don't bow to him, or curtsy, and call him 'your majesty'

So traditional formalities are a sign of overestimated opinion? So teachers you called "sir" have an overestimated opinion of themselves? And all the politicians have overestimated opinions of themselves because they're all "
honorable gentlemen"?
Original post by TurndownforWha
OBVIOUSLY practically no one outside of the UK knows Cameron, especially people who aren't into politics. Everyone and their dog knows who Obama is, even teenagers. Obama is:
1) American, therefore everyone would know him
2) President of the US, the most known president in the world
3) Has cartoons made for him so he's in a lot of TV and cinema media
4) Is 'cool' with teenagers so more people know about him

list could go on

I really do fear for this country is either
1) Few people outside London know who Cameron is
2) People think the above
If you are in a position of authority, maybe, sure, but the Monarchy has no power, has nothing, they're not even rich anymore they have to be subsidised in their spending by the government
Original post by fwkjx
Cameron is a complete **** and all those who voted his party in (and subsequently him) are now regretting their actions. Obama did things for his country, Cameron just gained Clegg as a bum-chum.

Obama didn't do **** for his country. All those "change you can believe in" campaigns let so many people down. Apart from obamacare - and even that is ****- all the other stuff he promised has not been done.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Share Sharqi
If you are in a position of authority, maybe, sure, but the Monarchy has no power, has nothing, they're not even rich anymore they have to be subsidised in their spending by the government

It's not strictly true they have no power, nor is it true they having nothing since they have rather a lot actually, and Obama is also subsidised in is spending by the government in the same way as the main members Royal Family and Cameron and probably every other head of stand and/or government.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending