The Student Room Group

How essential is a laptop, if at all?

Off to university soon, and don't have a laptop. I could make room for it in the budget but it would make my budget that much tighter. I was wondering that, given there are computers available 24 hours a day on campus (with ability to prebook) and there is the option to book out a laptop for free for up to 8 hours, do I need a laptop?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
I have the same issue, don't know if a laptop is necessary D: Although I'll be living at home and thus will still have my desktop PC :smile:
Original post by askastatsq
Off to university soon, and don't have a laptop. I could make room for it in the budget but it would make my budget that much tighter. I was wondering that given there are computers available 24 hours a day on campus (with ability to prebook), and there is the optionto book out a laptop for free for up to 8 hours. Given all this do I need a latop?

Nope not at all.
For work, no. For general entertainment etc they'll be more useful than you think. (or a desktop).
In my opinion
yes
You never know if the IT suite will be packed or closed
Reply 5
Depends on the university. Check out the facilities/opening times on the website.

At my university the central library is 24/7 with reservation options, and laptops can be signed out on loan overnight etc. so there are usually plenty of options. Some departments (like mine) have computer rooms available only for departmental students, which helps when it's getting towards exam time. All universities can operate slightly different though.

Original post by blue n white army
For work, no. For general entertainment etc they'll be more useful than you think. (or a desktop).

I think this is a good point, about entertainment. Some sort of access to your e-mails when you're not on campus is particularly useful (anything like tablets/ipad probably do a reasonable job for most things, depends what you have available).
Reply 6
Original post by blue n white army

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I have an old worn netbook that missing a few keys that just about runs videos, so together with my Nexus 7 I think I might be able to get by. I could put off the laptop until (if) I get a job. I'm not a gamer other than the occassional android game, so all I really need is the ability to torrent and play shows which both my tablet and ****ty netbook can do. What do you think?

Original post by bittr n swt
In my opinion
yes
You never know if the IT suite will be packed or closed

Even with the ability to prebook?
Reply 7
Original post by Nymthae
Depends on the university. Check out the facilities/opening times on the website.

At my university the central library is 24/7 with reservation options, and laptops can be signed out on loan overnight etc. so there are usually plenty of options. Some departments (like mine) have computer rooms available only for departmental students, which helps when it's getting towards exam time. All universities can operate slightly different though.

I think this is a good point, about entertainment. Some sort of access to your e-mails when you're not on campus is particularly useful (anything like tablets/ipad probably do a reasonable job for most things, depends what you have available).

As far as I can tell from theuniversity website (Sheffield) it has all those options, not sure if the engineering department has it's own computers though.

I do have a nexus 7 and a barely working netbook, so I think in terms of entertainment I'll be fine.
Reply 8
As far as I can tell from theuniversity website (Sheffield) it has all those options, not sure if the engineering department has it's own computers though.

I do have a nexus 7 and a barely working netbook, so I think in terms of entertainment I'll be fine.

I'm at Sheffield, so yup, it does ;D you'll be fine.
While a laptop or desktop is not essential, you may find it difficult to access a computer available in the library or other location during busy times. Busy times at my university are normally 10-5 seven days a week, but other universities may not have the IT facilities shortages we have. Trying to print out work for an immediate deadline for an immediate deadline is more stress than it is worth.
A laptop affords greater mobility. You can write essays, listen to lectures anywhere where there is wifi. Sometimes thats needed when you have time to kill between lectures, you cant go all the way back to your residence and you have stuff that needs doing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I have an old worn netbook that missing a few keys that just about runs videos, so together with my Nexus 7 I think I might be able to get by. I could put off the laptop until (if) I get a job. I'm not a gamer other than the occassional android game, so all I really need is the ability to torrent and play shows which both my tablet and ****ty netbook can do. What do you think?

Even with the ability to prebook?

Sounds like you'll be fine with what you have. I didn't use mine for gaming etc but you'll have the odd day here and there where you just want to lock yourself away and watch films/ catch up TV.
For me it was pretty essential, I use it for everything. It makes talking to family, accessing lectures, etc. and doing and submitting work a lot easier, especially as I'm the type of person that gets more done stupidly late at night (when I don't want to be walking onto campus :tongue:).
However, plenty of people manage without one, so it's up to you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending