The Student Room Group

Work at Mcdonalds or Claim Job Seekers Allowance?

This poll is closed

Would you Work at Mcdonalds or claim Job Seekers allowance?

McDonalds 87%
Job Seeker's Allowance13%
Total votes: 45
If you had bills to pay and were looking for a job, which scenario would be better for you and you can't say either, you have to choose 1 of the 2

Would you A) Work at McDonald's and earn money

or B) Sit at home and claim Job Seekers Allowance?

Also explain why

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
MaccyD's looks a lot better on the CV than JSA. Not to mention it will pay better provided I work for it.
Take the job you lazy gob****e.
Reply 3
Depends... stay at home AND look for a job or stay at home and do nothing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
That fact that you are asking this question tells me you don't deserve either of the options.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
McDonalds. Having a job is more than just money; it's also giving somebody a sense of purpose and a reason to wake up in the morning.
Jobseekers; I worked at McDonald's before, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.
It's easier to find a job if you already have one.

What would you say when you finally get the interview of your dreams and they ask why you have not be employed in the last 6 months?
Reply 8
work ya reprobate
Reply 9
I start there tommorow
What happens if you are say a vegetarian and do not want to work in such an environment where you are directly contributing to something you are ethically opposed to?
Take the apples... In life you sometimes have to take what you want, as long as they don't actually see you.
Reply 12
McDonald's. More money plus it would be boring to sit at home all day, every day doing nothing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
i vote jsa
Original post by navarre
McDonalds. Having a job is more than just money; it's also giving somebody a sense of purpose and a reason to wake up in the morning.

Nothing purposeful about flipping burgers and serving fries on minimum wage. at least have a job in which you can showcase actual skills.
You know what id rather be a street sweeper then serves burgers at a greasy chain because you know what i am doing something more productive
I'd rather claim JSA. I wouldn't be caught dead working at Mcdonalds. What if people I know see me? :lol:

Original post by navarre

This is just ridiculous. You've been brainwashed to think that paying tax gives you a sense of purpose.
Original post by Henry Cavill.
I'd rather claim JSA. I wouldn't be caught dead working at Mcdonalds. What if people I know see me? :lol:

This is just ridiculous. You've been brainwashed to think that paying tax gives you a sense of purpose.

Well, Your Grace, Lord Charles Brandon, Duke of Suffolk, you clearly have no idea what you are talking about.
Reply 17
Work. It feels better to me to be working than to be doing nothing.
This attitude is what is wrong with Britain today, many young people feel they are too good for a job, when in reality they haven't proven themselves yet and therefor are not too good for ANY job.

So many graduates whining that they can't get a career in their field, but have never had ANY job what so ever, sure volunteering and charity work and societies are all good. But what a potential employer wants to see, is an employment, something that's going to present an image of your work ethic. If you have done volunteer work and such, its good, but most employers know that the company or organisation will feel obliged to give you a good reference because you worked for free.

However if you have 2 or 3 years in some minimum wage job, that you probably didn't enjoy, but still have a good reference, that immediatly tells the employer, okay, this person is capable of knuckling down, getting on with work and performing when things are ****.

I've worked at McDonald's, it's not the worst job in the world, I have also worked in factorys, cleaning warhouses, cleaning offices, driving lorries, security and call centres. And some of those jobs were much worse than McDonald's, I have peers who are stuggling on JSA because they get rejected from every job they apply to, I fire off a couple of Emails and I have enough job interviews that I have had to turn some down.

Even if you think a job is not relavent to your ambitions, work experience has so many secondary benefits when jobseeking in the future and employers of any level appreciate evidence of hard work.

Good luck with the job, McDonalds is actually an excellent job for students due to its flexible shifts, if you let your managment know in time, you should be able to easily get exam times off work.
To be fair if you're a manager McDonalds isn't even that bad and you can make money from having a franchise.

Quick Reply

Latest