The Student Room Group

Does exfoliation actually do anything

I don't see how the average face scrub can do anything exfoliating.. it isnt abrasive enough.. I bought a garnier 1-3 mask scrub and I dont see how it will improve my overall skin.. im trying to lighten my ****ing pigmentation that have plagued me for 8 long years with no relief.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I use an Nspa exfoliant and I find it pretty useful even though it only has tiny little beads. Removes all the dead skin though. I used to use a St Ives one and it was really quite rough on the skin so if you're looking for something more abrasive I'd probably recommend that.
Original post by Waka Flocka
I don't see how the average face scrub can do anything exfoliating.. it isnt abrasive enough.. I bought a garnier 1-3 mask scrub and I dont see how it will improve my overall skin.. im trying to lighten my ****ing pigmentation that have plagued me for 8 long years with no relief.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah overall exfoliation doesn't really do anything to increase skin turnover it takes AGES before you see any kind of result I would recommend trying at home chemical peels it works a lot quicker and will overall reduce the pigmentation on your skin but that's just my opinion.:biggrin:
Use an exfoliating toner rather than scrubbing your face, works a lot better.
use St Ives Apricot Scrub - it is very thorough and gainy in texture. Also don't scrub so hard - this can lead to broken capillaries - which once there don't exactly disappear! Also use La Roche Posay Effaclar Duo - it contains salicylic acid which is a chemical exfoliator which keeps pores clean and help alleviate pigmentation. (It's actually on sale at feelunique and on escentual!!!). Also you can use a at home mask containing yogurt or milk because this contains lactic acid which will exfoliate the skin and help wth pigmentation. I like mixing nutmeg and milk and applying directly onto pigmentation marks (not all over face!).

As it's been troubling you for so long and I'm sure you have tried many different things, I'm wondering if you use sunscreen? The sun will make pigmentation worse so a UVA and UVB sunscreen is really important (spf 30 minimum!!!).

Quick Reply

Latest