The Student Room Group

OCR F585 June 2015 The Global Economy

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lionelmessi19
Oh ok, that's alright then.. I was just curious when I read the specification, and I thought that if they have told us in advance, that the case study will be on transport, they might expect you to have some knowledge of the market..
And yes, we should move our discussion to the transport thread.. Is there one already made? Do you have a link?

Yeah just a little bit of awareness is okay, nothing intense is required. Here's the link for the 2015 transport exam:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2962013
Original post by PurpleMash
Yeah just a little bit of awareness is okay, nothing intense is required. Here's the link for the 2015 transport exam:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2962013

Oh right! Cheers! :smile:
Reply 382
Just quick question - not straightforwardly related to global economy, but - is anyone retaking As units?
I am taking Economics both as and a2 (never studied it though before, it's my first and last year) so maybe you have some recommendations?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Describe two factors that affect the terms of trade?
-Exchange rate
-Quality of the goods

What else hmmmm
Original post by Makashima
Describe two factors that affect the terms of trade?
-Exchange rate
-Quality of the goods

What else hmmmm

1. Means of protectionism (tariffs make it more expensive to export a good etc)
2. Elasticity of demand of a country's products (if the products of a country are inelastic, whereas domestic products are elastic, the terms of trade will not be favourable).
3. Size of population/country: a heavily populated country will demand more imports than a lightly populated one, which means the terms of trade will be unfavourable.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! Good points!~

How about this Q, from tutor2u

To what extent has the UK achieved an improvement in competitiveness in recent years (10 marks)

Anyone feel free to attempt ^O^
Could somebody please PM me the 2014 exam papers? :frown:
^ And me as well please! Especially the transport one, if anyone has it. I would be grateful!
An increasing long term unemployed people are less likely to get job than the newly redundant people.

How should I explain the cause of this without sounding weird?

-Perhaps discrimination, the employers perceive opinionatedly that there is something wrong with these long term unemployed people hence they are unemployed for so long.

Any ideas?
An increasing long term unemployed people are less likely to get job than the newly redundant people.

-Perhaps discrimination, the employers perceive opinionatedly that there is something wrong with these long term unemployed people hence they are unemployed for so long.

Any ideas?

Simple one is a loss of skill over time.

Or you could say that it could imply structural unemployment because those who are classed as unemployed in the long term could have very ridged skill sets. Occupational/geographical immobility of labour could be included here.

Any ideas?

-Those out of work for a long time may not be able to keep up with the demands of current jobs, as their skills have not been updated recently and may have only been suitable before technogical advancements took place. In contrast, newly redundant people are more employable because they only just lost their jobs and so, theoretically at least, are better informed and shouldn't lack any of the required skills. As such, the difference is that the former's skills are outdated, whilst the latter's will be fully updated -meaning that they are more likely to get a job as it saves extra training costs and time for the employers (who, as you said, may discriminate against the long term unemployed).

This is a loosely structured answer I'd give.

I'll try to get back with the question above tomorrow.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Any ideas?

Long term unemployment causes unemployment itself (this is known as the hysteresis effect). The longer people are out of work, the more difficult it can be for them to gain another job. Employers may be reluctant to take on someone who has been out of work for a long time for two main reasons. One is that the length of time they have been out of a job may indicate that they are not good workers. The other is that the longer someone is unemployed, the more rusty their skills become and the more out of touch they become with advances in working methods and technology.

The newly redundant people have been out of work for a smaller period of time and thus, may still have the skills needed for a particular job. It also does not indicate that they're not good workers, nor does it imply that they're out of touch with the advances in technology and new working methods. In fact, because they are newly redundant, they may be aware of the advances in the new technology, and therefore they are well informed.
(edited 9 years ago)
^ And me as well please! Especially the transport one, if anyone has it. I would be grateful!

And me aswell, I need the Unit 2 paper and mark scheme, I've got the corresponding unit 1 material to trade

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by A level sufferer
And me aswell, I need the Unit 2 paper and mark scheme, I've got the corresponding unit 1 material to trade

Posted from TSR Mobile

By unit 1, do you mean transport or do you mean global?
By unit 1, do you mean transport or do you mean global?

Oh sorry, I was talking about Markets in action as I'm resisting that but I've also got Transport from June 2014

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh sorry, I was talking about Markets in action as I'm resisting that but I've also got Transport from June 2014

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh right, sorry about the misunderstanding from my part! Would you be able to lend me the 2014 Transport paper and markscheme please?
(edited 9 years ago)
Oh right, sorry about the misunderstanding from my part! Would you be able to lend me the 2014 Transport paper and markscheme please?

PM me your email and I'll send it them when I go into school (some time this week)

Posted from TSR Mobile
PM me your email and I'll send it them when I go into school (some time this week)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you very much!!
Hmmm true about the skill loss. But that means they are unable to work if they have skills that are unapplicable so they shouldn't be classified as unemployed. As unemployed are individuals that are willing and able to work; actively seeking job. But I can tell I'm complicating this. I'll just say skill loss. Hehehe thanks ^_^
(edited 9 years ago)
Hmmm true about the skill loss. But that means they are unable to work if they have skills that are unapplicable so they shouldn't be classified as unemployed. As unemployed are individuals that are willing and able to work; actively seeking job. But I can tell I'm complicating this. I'll just say skill loss. Hehehe thanks ^_^

They can still work. It's just that their employers will have to train them for the new job if they don't actually have the required skills.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending