The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Scousers win courtesy of a peno, sounds about right.

(Couldn't help myself, not after all the years of Howard Webb abuse)
Original post by h3isenberg
Ludogorets were unlucky. They'll finish 2nd in this group behind Real though, quote me.

Blatant penalty, the referee is 'Blind':wink:
Original post by sr90
To be fair, i'm sure a lot of opposition fans would say that about Manchester United.

Lovren will come good I reckon, of their 832528582 signings this summer he's the only one who'd get into our matchday squad.

Alberto Moreno would definitely come in as well, for shaw. :ahee:
Original post by Saf94
I don't care if it's chips or anything else, it's the manager's right to implement his own ideas and practices at the new club. Van Gaal has come straight in and implemented an English only rule and round tables etc. I don't see any difference between the two, players must adapt to Van Gaal's changes because he's the boss.
Of course, I said I don't disagree with the principle of changing the ritual. Van Gaal has changed to everyone speaking English because he's calculated that the annoyance that some squad members will have at doing so will be counter balanced by a greater sense of team harmony with everyone speaking the same language. Moyes' pay off for doing this was what? He broke up a ritual which mattered to players, and in doing so he gained what?

Spoiler

Original post by sr90

Lovren will come good I reckon, of their 832528582 signings this summer he's the only one who'd get into our matchday squad.
Their fullback's aren't bad, I think Moreno would give Shaw a good run. Perhaps Can too.
Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce
After watching Liverpool and Arsenal I feel so much more optimistic about finishing top 4 or dare I even say 3rd.

Liverpool benefitted from other teams deficiencies last season. Chelsea didn't have much in midfield and a poor selection of strikers, City had nobody to partner Kompany and a manager completely new to the English game, as for United... do I even need to explain?

They'd have been much better off signing 3-4 quality players instead of 8 average ones.

Original post by Gob Bluth
Alberto Moreno would definitely come in as well, for shaw. :ahee:

What about Rojo?
Original post by Fizzel
Of course, I said I don't disagree with the principle of changing the ritual. Van Gaal has changed to everyone speaking English because he's calculated that the annoyance that some squad members will have at doing so will be counter balanced by a greater sense of team harmony with everyone speaking the same language. Moyes' pay off for doing this was what? He broke up a ritual which mattered to players, and in doing so he gained what?

Spoiler

Their fullback's aren't bad, I think Moreno would give Shaw a good run. Perhaps Can too.

Can would get into the squad, but he wouldn't start.
Starting to really think Lallana is a bit of a **** head. Refused the hand of a guy going to help him up and threw a strop each time he was fouled or thought he was.
Original post by sr90
Liverpool benefitted from other teams deficiencies last season. Chelsea didn't have much in midfield and a poor selection of strikers, City had nobody to partner Kompany and a manager completely new to the English game, as for United... do I even need to explain?

They'd have been much better off signing 3-4 quality players instead of 8 average ones.

What about Rojo?

Yeah agreed on most parts. Lallana looks bang average, Lovren has a defensive slip every now, Minolet just makes clangers and its starting to become a regular thing, Coutinho was woeful and the jury is still out against Balo since they're still adjusting to him. Really like the look of Moreno though.

If we beat Leicester and West Ham and get 3 wins on a bounce our confidence would be back and the momentum should carry us forward for the season.
If we beat Leicester and West Ham and get 3 wins on a bounce our confidence would be back and the momentum should carry us forward for the season.

Hopefully. Liverpool showed last season just how important momentum can be.

Leicester will be a very tough game, they're a really well organised team and it'll be a much stronger test than QPR. They've already taken points off Everton and Arsenal this season.
Original post by sr90
Hopefully. Liverpool showed last season just how important momentum can be.

And how quickly it can be lost, too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The Ronaldo gossip has died down. So I'll bring it back up:biggrin:
Balague and Neville:colondollar:
Someone has just said that Januzaj should take Mata's place:biggrin:
Original post by sr90
Leicester will be a very tough game, they're a really well organised team and it'll be a much stronger test than QPR. They've already taken points off Everton and Arsenal this season.
I've got a bit of a soft spot for Leicester, some of my family used to be part of the set up there. Really hope we get the 3 point against them though, don't want to go to Everton with the pressure on anymore than it needs to be.
I forsee a 2-2 draw with Leoicster
Original post by Rk2k14
Someone has just said that Januzaj should take Mata's place:biggrin:

Who?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Amphiprion
I forsee a 2-2 draw with Leoicster

For some odd reason I'm starting to have a bad feeling about our game against Leicester City. I think it's maybe the pessimist inside me but hopefully we smash em.

No one from here lol, saw it on Twitter:biggrin:
Original post by Rk2k14
The Ronaldo gossip has died down. So I'll bring it back up:biggrin:
Balague and Neville:colondollar:

Real Madrid were good tonight, but do you think they might have the same problem as us in terms of too many quality attacking players and not enough defensive minded ones? A front six of Benzema, Ronaldo, Bale, Rodriguez, Kroos and Modric seems not defensive enough for me. They've had a few results they wouldn't have expected.

Neville's comments were bang on this time. We got trolled in this thread in Summer where people doubted our ability to attract world class players, which is obviously now a defunct argument. I think the Di Maria and Falcao signings make Ronaldo more likely. But in truth, he's another attacking player we don't really need, I think we should go all out for Strootman and Hummels at whatever price.

Was delighted when Ludogorets equalised, amateur mistake at the end however.

Arsenal were their usual disappointment, they'll always be nearly men, another really poor performance from Ozil. Another chance wasted by Welbeck, are we really surprised?

Dortmund are just an amazing club. They sell to of their best players but still seem to attract quality players who aren't that high profile.
For some odd reason I'm starting to have a bad feeling about our game against Leicester City. I think it's maybe the pessimist inside me but hopefully we smash em.

You guys are forgetting that we have forgot to feed El Tigre:colone:
Original post by Eboracum
Real Madrid were good tonight, but do you think they might have the same problem as us in terms of too many quality attacking players and not enough defensive minded ones? A front six of Benzema, Ronaldo, Bale, Rodriguez, Kroos and Modric seems not defensive enough for me. They've had a few results they wouldn't have expected.

Neville's comments were bang on this time. We got trolled in this thread in Summer where people doubted our ability to attract world class players, which is obviously now a defunct argument. I think the Di Maria and Falcao signings make Ronaldo more likely. But in truth, he's another attacking player we don't really need, I think we should go all out for Strootman and Hummels at whatever price.

Was delighted when Ludogorets equalised, amateur mistake at the end however.

Arsenal were their usual disappointment, they'll always be nearly men, another really poor performance from Ozil. Another chance wasted by Welbeck, are we really surprised?

Dortmund are just an amazing club. They sell to of their best players but still seem to attract quality players who aren't that high profile.

I agree on RM having too many attacking players. Their most defensive player is Khedira, who is actually a box to box mid, so they are screwed, as they have no solid mid, (e.g. Alonso) covering their defence which isn't amazing. Bigger teams will expose this flaw, as AM did on the weekend, and for that reason I don't think they will retain the CL.

Neville's comments were on point, as usual:biggrin: and depending on Blind's performances I don't think we will need to get Strootman(someone will have to be dropped to accommodate him). Hummels is an absolute must. I love the guy. The way he reads the game is amazing. 40mill euros should do the trick considering we sold Kagawa for a cut price amount.

Arsenal were lucky Dortmund weren't running rings around them, some poor finishing from Dortmund saved Arsenal in a way, but poor finishing from themselves cost them. Dat guy Welbz wasn't on it, but his turn was nice:biggrin:

Latest