The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Current Bartlett students - what is the dept really like ?

Hi,
I am about to apply to universities for architecture and have been to many open days including Bartlett's.

I know that Bartlett has a good reputation and I would like to be a part of it, but despite the reputation, the following issues makes me nervous about applying

1. Even though I love Art, and am studying it at A level, it was made clear at the open day presentation that the first year will be spent almost exclusively in developing your art and creativity. This is fine, but I also want to learn all the other things to do with architecture, such as the history, theory etc. What is the reality of the extent of Art in the first year and in the three years overall. The Bartlett exhibition was very impressive, but it would not have looked out of place from a Fine Art show, are students being encouraged/taught enough to be architects who could work in the real world.

2. I have seen that the student satisfaction is rated very low in the various league tables, and seems to be partly down to rather aggressive and 'distant' methods by the teaching staff and a lack of a nurturing relationship with the students. I've heard that students have been reduced to tears during their crits. It almost seems to be a case of 'you should be grateful to be here'. I hope I am wrong on this.

3. I know that Architecture is an intense course which I am ready and prepared for, but it appears that you regularly need to (or are expected to) work late into the night and weekends week in week out, is this true and is it sustainable in the longer run ?

4. The facilities/ building doesn't seem to do credit to the dept, though I hear the building is being refurbished for,next year.

With hindsight, are you happy you are there ?

Thank you and any comments would be very much appreciated.
Be brave Bartlett students, tell us what you feel !
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Really wish someone would answer this thread...
I'm starting the MArch at The Bartlett this September but I have come to conclusions from my research, my own experience and from speaking to current and former students. Essentially, with architecture, if you wish to do well i.e. aiming for a first etc. (which you should be) then it's going to be tough, I think third year at undergraduate I worked or at least tried to work (and ended up procrastinating) every single day except Christmas Day, and that wasn't even at the Bartlett. With regards to the Bartlett itself, from what I can tell it's only marginally more intense in terms of workload than any other school, the main thing which makes it more demanding is the quality of the other students and the general sense of expectation. I would also say to you, not to worry about the course lacking in "practical skills", nothing will really compare to working in practice for real anyway, and I know from working in the industry myself that students from the Bartlett are very highly regarded (the highest regarded in the UK for sure) at best, and seen as at least as good as students from anywhere else at worst. You only have to look at the AJ100 to see this. They ask the top 100 architecture firms where their favourite students graduate from, and from memory 27% said UCL, with the second most popular being Sheffield with 7%, then Bath with 6%. That speaks for itself really. Having said all this, wherever you go, its up to you to prove yourself, I went to an average uni for undergraduate, but got a first and the highest mark in the year and have landed a job at a top London firm. So go where you'll be happiest I guess, but don't be afraid to challenge yourself and go to UCL.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending