The Student Room Group
Erm.. this is general discussion. Move this to the psychology/statistics section
eeeeew mann-whitney u is bad. everyone i know who did it found their results were not significant! i did t-test though, much easier! i suggest you look it up on the net... theres loads about it! :biggrin: xxx
Reply 3
Knight-of-Ni
eeeeew mann-whitney u is bad. everyone i know who did it found their results were not significant! i did t-test though, much easier! i suggest you look it up on the net... theres loads about it! :biggrin: xxx

i have a major problem tho. i only have 2 sets of results. male and female. and a mean for each.
Reply 4
eeeeew mann-whitney u is bad. everyone i know who did it found their results were not significant! i did t-test though, much easier! i suggest you look it up on the net... theres loads about it! xxx

You can't just use whatever test you feel like.
It's relatively easy to do but I think you need someone to show you how it's done first.
Reply 6

i have a major problem tho. i only have 2 sets of results. male and female. and a mean for each.

Have you got scores or frequencies?
Reply 7
mipmapped
Have you got scores or frequencies?

my results are recorded in this table. left the results blank in the very unlikely event someone doing the same cwk as me. i have a mean at the bottom as well
Reply 8
Right, they're scores, so you can't use a T-Test.

It's an experiment, rather than a correlational design, so you can't use Spearman's Rho.

There's 1 IV.

Two groups, and the data are [I presume] non-parametric.

You have to use Mann-Whitney.

Gimme 5 mins to find a tutorial.
eeeeew mann-whitney u is bad. everyone i know who did it found their results were not significant!

That's probably because there was no significant difference between the two groups, rather than the test being faulty...
Reply 11
all i know is - thank god it didnt come up in my geography a level exam!!

Sorry not much help...

I can't believe you'd suggest such a thing! :wink:
Reply 14

wow, i did it on my own in the end grrrrr just seen this. but it comes out with a different u value to what i got :s-smilie:
mipmapped
You can't just use whatever test you feel like.

my results required i did a t-test :biggrin:

my results required i did a t-test

In which case, bargain. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending