The Student Room Group

AS Core 1 Maths Problem

Could someone please show me a step by step method for working out this problem using completing the square:

Solve for x and y

y=x^2+2x-4
y=x+2

Thanks
Original post by HelenaEllis
Could someone please show me a step by step method for working out this problem using completing the square:

Solve for x and y

y=x^2+2x-4
y=x+2

Thanks

We don't work like that. Could you should us your working please? A first step might be to form a quadratic in x and make it equal to 0.
Reply 2
Original post by Mr M
We don't work like that. Could you should us your working please? A first step might be to form a quadratic in x and make it equal to 0.

I did this, but not entirely sure i have done it right:

x^2+2x-4=x+2

x^2+x-6=0

(x+1/2)^2-1/4-6

I got x=-1/2+- (square root of 25/4)

Not sure i have done this right though :s-smilie:
I did this, but not entirely sure i have done it right:

x^2+2x-4=x+2

x^2+x-6=0

(x+1/2)^2-1/4-6

I got x=-1/2+- (square root of 25/4)

Not sure i have done this right though :s-smilie:

All good but what is the square root of 25/4?
Reply 4
Original post by Mr M

Square root 25/4 is 5/2 so + or - 2.5 as an entire fraction square rooted can be written as √25/√4 hope that helps

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mathscot
Square root 25/4 is 5/2 so + or - 2.5 as an entire fraction square rooted can be written as √25/√4 hope that helps

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was trying to prompt the OP. I wasn't asking for help. By the way your answer is wrong.

254±52\sqrt{\frac{25}{4}} \neq \pm \frac{5}{2}

Solve for x and y

y=x^2+2x-4
y=x+2

Thanks

Moved to Maths section :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Mr M
I was trying to prompt the OP. I wasn't asking for help. By the way your answer is wrong.

254±52\sqrt{\frac{25}{4}} \neq \pm \frac{5}{2}

This is right √25/√4 = + or - 5/2 why do you think it is wrong ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is right √25/√4 = + or - 5/2 why do you think it is wrong ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You shouldn't include a positive or negative sign. The answer is positive by definition.
Original post by Mr M

lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mr M
You shouldn't include a positive or negative sign. The answer is positive by definition.

-3^2 = 9 and 3^2 =9 hence anything square rooted normally could. Be + or - as it is a quadratic you need two answers that's how you get them
-3^2 = 9 and 3^2 =9 hence anything square rooted normally could. Be + or - as it is a quadratic you need two answers that's how you get them

One final time. No.

If you are asked to solve the equation x2=9x^2=9 then the answers are x=±3x=\pm 3.

If you are asked to simplify 9\sqrt{9} then the answer is 33.

If
Unparseable latex formula:

\sqrt

returned both results then there wouldn't be any need for a ±\pm symbol in the quadratic formula.
Reply 12
Original post by Mr M

Mirin' clarification.

Quick Reply

Latest