The Student Room Group

I feel like I screwed up.

I'm currently studying AS Computer Science, Geography and Core maths. I didn't know core maths was only 1 year, meaning if I want to go to university I will only have 2 A levels and 1 AS, I would have to practically have an A* in everything to go to most unis. I want to study Game Development but I feel like I wont have a chance to due to my ignorance when picking my subjects. Am I right? Or do I still have a chance?
Original post by awibble39
I'm currently studying AS Computer Science, Geography and Core maths. I didn't know core maths was only 1 year, meaning if I want to go to university I will only have 2 A levels and 1 AS, I would have to practically have an A* in everything to go to most unis. I want to study Game Development but I feel like I wont have a chance to due to my ignorance when picking my subjects. Am I right? Or do I still have a chance?

correct me if im wrong but core maths counts as an AS i think. have a look at the entry requirements for the unis and courses youre interested in first to see what they say about AS levels. if they require 3 alevels (standard) and you have only just started y12 then speak to a teacher and see if you can enrol yourself in other A Level subjects you enjoy eg maths a level or computer science a level or just anything really as its not too late to pick something up now
Reply 2
Original post by arch17
correct me if im wrong but core maths counts as an AS i think. have a look at the entry requirements for the unis and courses youre interested in first to see what they say about AS levels. if they require 3 alevels (standard) and you have only just started y12 then speak to a teacher and see if you can enrol yourself in other A Level subjects you enjoy eg maths a level or computer science a level or just anything really as its not too late to pick something up now

I'm gonna automatically do a level cs and geog when on the 2nd year and yes core maths counts as an AS. my school specifically said in an assembly today thats its too late to change subjects, also i havent really picked a university i liked since i dont know how to tell between which university
I'm gonna automatically do a level cs and geog when on the 2nd year and yes core maths counts as an AS. my school specifically said in an assembly today thats its too late to change subjects, also i havent really picked a university i liked since i dont know how to tell between which university

speak to your school asap anyway, sometimes they can make exceptions eg adding a subject instead of swapping. have you decided on a subject or a few? id recommend beginning to research what youd like to do at uni and which unis are eg best, accessible to you, realistic to get into etc before speaking to your school so you can show them you've done your research and why they should let you do a third a level as it could seriously impact your chances at uni if you only have 2 a levels
Reply 4
Original post by arch17
speak to your school asap anyway, sometimes they can make exceptions eg adding a subject instead of swapping. have you decided on a subject or a few? id recommend beginning to research what youd like to do at uni and which unis are eg best, accessible to you, realistic to get into etc before speaking to your school so you can show them you've done your research and why they should let you do a third a level as it could seriously impact your chances at uni if you only have 2 a levels

ok, will do. thank you
ok, will do. thank you

no worries, if you'd like help to research unis and courses just let me know

Quick Reply

Latest