The Student Room Group

I've been around the world...AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jeanlucpicard
That's really cool! :biggrin:

I agree. Where have you been then that has disappointed before then? I thoroughly recommend travelling to anyone and everyone, old or young, it doesn't matter. It was so nice to experience different cultures and it gave me an insight just to how other countries live and always adapt to their environment! So my words of wisdom....JUST DO IT! :biggrin:

volunteering in a third world country...camp america in america (obivously:P) or interrailing across europe?

rank in order of what youd want to do most and why:?
Original post by Riku
Did you meet Daft Punk

around the world (around the world)?

Stole my goddamn joke.
Reply 22
Original post by paradoxicalme
Stole my goddamn joke.

well next time you should go a little

harder, better, faster, stronger

I'll grab my coat :P
Reply 23
Original post by trustmeimlying1
volunteering in a third world country...camp america in america (obivously:P) or interrailing across europe?

rank in order of what youd want to do most and why:?

1. Volunteering - having experienced a lot of South East Asia, it would be amazing to go and volunteer (gutted I didn't when I was there). I can imagine the satisfaction you get from volunteering is beyond amazing too! We didn't volunteer as such in Thailand but we went to a dog shelter and helped out for the afternoon, we took them treats and food and the owners were just extremely appreciative that we did it!
2. Interrailing - Something I've wanted to do, yet you can interail whenever, this is why it's so nice to live in Europe. There's always a chance to go and you can go for as long as you want! I would love to visit Budapest :smile:
3. Camp America - CA is a weird one. I would like too, but it's 3 months at the same place...I can imagine it's amazing too, but I think I may get a tad bored...having said that, apparently it's HARD work.

What about you?
I've travelled with my best friend, yet when we were out there we met lots of people which was cool. We travelled a month with another couple too! Everyone is in the same boat you, so it was great to get to know others and hear about their experiences too! :smile: Have you ever been?

No not yet, how did you meet others just randomly ?
Reply 25
Original post by IMBCFC
No not yet, how did you meet others just randomly ?

Yep, really randomly. You meet so many nice people in Hostels though! Everyone is in the same boat as you and they are so friendly that you just end up travelling together! :smile: Are you thinking of going soon?
Yep, really randomly. You meet so many nice people in Hostels though! Everyone is in the same boat as you and they are so friendly that you just end up travelling together! :smile: Are you thinking of going soon?

Not really I doubt it. Maybe just a holiday next year if im lucky.
1. Volunteering - having experienced a lot of South East Asia, it would be amazing to go and volunteer (gutted I didn't when I was there). I can imagine the satisfaction you get from volunteering is beyond amazing too! We didn't volunteer as such in Thailand but we went to a dog shelter and helped out for the afternoon, we took them treats and food and the owners were just extremely appreciative that we did it!
2. Interrailing - Something I've wanted to do, yet you can interail whenever, this is why it's so nice to live in Europe. There's always a chance to go and you can go for as long as you want! I would love to visit Budapest :smile:
3. Camp America - CA is a weird one. I would like too, but it's 3 months at the same place...I can imagine it's amazing too, but I think I may get a tad bored...having said that, apparently it's HARD work.

What about you?

1.Yeh I would be stuck in the same place.the ethics behind it..is a bit dodge.fundraising and that would be damm hard..and its essentially youre holiday so iffy too.that said it naturally interests me the most!my parents arent the biggest fans of it tho with my nut allergy.take a bit of convincing me thinks.
2.interrailing-true its by far the easiest one to do..at any age..for a short period of time.so yeh later definitely but later.
3.yeh america doesnt overly interest me so not sure id enjoy it so much but travelling is better than nothing at all.
where'd you go in America?
Reply 29
Original post by JNDSAN
where'd you go in America?

I went to Los Angeles, Las Vegas and San Francisco. Have you ever been to the states?
OP, that trip sounds awesome. I hopefully will be travelling this year. How did you plan your trip? Did you just buy the airline tickets and remained flexible when you were in-country? Or were you a lot more meticulous with your logistics?

Also, whereabouts did you travel in Australia and what were your highlights of that part of your trip? What places in Australia would you recommend visiting and what places would you recommend avoiding? And did you go on a cheeky trip to NZ?
Reply 31
Original post by ParetoOptimum
OP, that trip sounds awesome. I hopefully will be travelling this year. How did you plan your trip? Did you just buy the airline tickets and remained flexible when you were in-country? Or were you a lot more meticulous with your logistics?

Also, whereabouts did you travel in Australia and what were your highlights of that part of your trip? What places in Australia would you recommend visiting and what places would you recommend avoiding? And did you go on a cheeky trip to NZ?

Thank you :smile:, it was pretty epic if I'm honest, you will truly have the best time of your life! Buy the plane tickets, have a rough idea of where you want to go, but warning, you won't stick to the plan! With my trip as I had a date to be back I had to be in a certain place at a certain time, yet, still managed to stay flexible!

I flew into Brisbane, went up to Cairns in a camper and then flew to Sydney for a few days. It was cool, but I'm gutted I didn't the great ocean road - I've heard alot of good things! Where are you thinking? Didn't go to NZ, gutted we missed on that too, but we did do Fiji :smile:

When are you going?

I think my favourite food/ cuisine was Vietnamese too. I had this most amazing dish in Nha Trang - it sounds weird, but it was stuffed beef wrapped in lot leaves served with some tasty friend rice - it was delicious! What's your favourite type of food?

ooooo! :biggrin: im a vegetarian so i cant really imagine but its sounds interesting! :ahee:

mines easy! pizza!!!! :woo:

if you could only go back to one country out of the ones you visited again, which would it be and why? :biggrin:
Reply 33
Original post by cupcakes87
ooooo! :biggrin: im a vegetarian so i cant really imagine but its sounds interesting! :ahee:

mines easy! pizza!!!! :woo:

if you could only go back to one country out of the ones you visited again, which would it be and why? :biggrin:

Aha, nice one :smile:

I would go back to Vietnam in a heartbeat. Having said this, a close second would definitely be the US. I don't what it is about the US, but it's just such a jolly place! Have you ever been? If so, where?
Is there anywhere you didn't like? Eg danger or just didn't like the place? And how were the bugs/insects? I can bare most insects but flies and spiders
Aha, nice one :smile:

I would go back to Vietnam in a heartbeat. Having said this, a close second would definitely be the US. I don't what it is about the US, but it's just such a jolly place! Have you ever been? If so, where?

aww! cool! what was the weather like in Vietnam? :smile:

i went to California! :woo: my uncle lives in San Jose there and he took us to Los Angeles :biggrin: from his house you could see mountains and i was all like :eek: but my cousins have never seen snow! :eek:
Reply 36
Original post by Joshale
Is there anywhere you didn't like? Eg danger or just didn't like the place? And how were the bugs/insects? I can bare most insects but flies and spiders

I wasn't overly keen on Cambodia - I loved Siem Reap/ Angkor Wat, but the capital city and the coastal towns weren't great. You felt a tad unsafe! Still lovely beaches however :smile: The insects were ok, there were just mosquitoes...EVERYWHERE!! My friend was bitten 28 times on one leg over night...take deet spray if you ever go!

Original post by cupcakes87
aww! cool! what was the weather like in Vietnam? :smile:

i went to California! :woo: my uncle lives in San Jose there and he took us to Los Angeles :biggrin: from his house you could see mountains and i was all like :eek: but my cousins have never seen snow! :eek:

The weather was so, so hot in Vietnam, it was lovely though!

Oh wow, that's really really cool. Yeah LA is cool, I only really liked Hollywood and Beverley Hills, but in the main bit. Downtown LA wasn't what it was cracked up to be really - I did however enjoy Macy's! :tongue:
Thank you :smile:, it was pretty epic if I'm honest, you will truly have the best time of your life! Buy the plane tickets, have a rough idea of where you want to go, but warning, you won't stick to the plan! With my trip as I had a date to be back I had to be in a certain place at a certain time, yet, still managed to stay flexible!

I flew into Brisbane, went up to Cairns in a camper and then flew to Sydney for a few days. It was cool, but I'm gutted I didn't the great ocean road - I've heard alot of good things! Where are you thinking? Didn't go to NZ, gutted we missed on that too, but we did do Fiji :smile:

When are you going?

Thanks for your reply! Yeah you confirm what everyone who has travelled has told me - be flexible. For someone who likes everything ordered I might have to get used to that lol

Last time I was in Oz I also visited the Port Douglas/Cairns area and Sydney. I'll keep the great ocean road in mind too. Everything's still up in the air for me, I need to sort out a grad job for next year etc so I'm waiting on that. Hopefully I'll be free to travel in early 2015.

Anyways, I'll be sure to ask you some more questions when I think of them! Cheers
Reply 38
Original post by ParetoOptimum
Thanks for your reply! Yeah you confirm what everyone who has travelled has told me - be flexible. For someone who likes everything ordered I might have to get used to that lol

Last time I was in Oz I also visited the Port Douglas/Cairns area and Sydney. I'll keep the great ocean road in mind too. Everything's still up in the air for me, I need to sort out a grad job for next year etc so I'm waiting on that. Hopefully I'll be free to travel in early 2015.

Anyways, I'll be sure to ask you some more questions when I think of them! Cheers

Nice one :smile:

Cairns and Port Douglas are cool aren't they, pretty chilled too.

Whenever you want get in touch :biggrin:
I went to Los Angeles, Las Vegas and San Francisco. Have you ever been to the states?

Only ever on the East Coast, New York State on the border with Canada- how were they?

Quick Reply

Latest