The Student Room Group

BSMS A100 2015 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BaeBlade
Well I've ordered it to arrive tomorrow, will crash read it and post my review afterwards!

Your review pls ? :smile:
I've ordered it but I think it'll arrive on the 20th and my interview is on the 24th. Arghhh!!
Original post by sanjaikraj93
Your review pls ? :smile:
I've ordered it but I think it'll arrive on the 20th and my interview is on the 24th. Arghhh!!

It arrived here this afternoon.
An extremely thin 'book'.
To be fair I've only read a small amount but so far nothing has jumped out as 'unique' to BSMS: seems like fairly standard interview stuff.
Looking forward to reading it in detail but not quite risking holding my breath… Fingers crossed that there is something exceptional in there to justify paying such a huge amount for what appears to be a 'pamphlet'-sized tome...
Reply 982
Original post by Dr Gin
To be fair I've only read a small amount but so far nothing has jumped out as 'unique' to BSMS: seems like fairly standard interview stuff.
Looking forward to reading it in detail but not quite risking holding my breath… Fingers crossed that there is something exceptional in there to justify paying such a huge amount for what appears to be a 'pamphlet'-sized tome...

Unlucky
Original post by Dr Gin

Well, I did have my doubts. I'll stick to the isc book until it comes. Thanks
I have just spent nearly £18 pounds on a pamphlet. It works out to just under 30p a page.

Pros; It does detail the specific research BSMS undertakes, which I tried to find but was unsuccessful which of course is useful.
It details questions as a template, and expects us as candidates to fill the blanks with our own work experience. To be honest if you're not coming up with something like this structure already, I would be suprised to hear you had an interview aha!

Cons: The price. It's not a substantiated document, it's much more of a stimulus book. I also read in 30 minutes.

Imagine a 'Short introduction to BSMS', that's essentially what me and Dr Gin have bought. But for three times the price.
Original post by BaeBlade
I have just spent nearly £18 pounds on a pamphlet. It works out to just under 30p a page.

Pros; It does detail the specific research BSMS undertakes, which I tried to find but was unsuccessful which of course is useful.
It details questions as a template, and expects us as candidates to fill the blanks with our own work experience. To be honest if you're not coming up with something like this structure already, I would be suprised to hear you had an interview aha!

Cons: The price. It's not a substantiated document, it's much more of a stimulus book. I also read in 30 minutes.

Imagine a 'Short introduction to BSMS', that's essentially what me and Dr Gin have bought. But for three times the price.

So....
What specific research does BSMS undertake, might I ask? :smile:
Original post by sanjaikraj93
So....
What specific research does BSMS undertake, might I ask? :smile:

That would be telling, wouldn't it :wink: I'll post a photo in a bit
Are you guys putting voluntary work on the work experience form?
Just thought stuff like volunteering in a care home is just voluntary work compared to shadowing in a hospital which i always classed as work exp.
I'm sure it doesn't really matter but what do u guys think?
Original post by qwerty_96
Are you guys putting voluntary work on the work experience form?
Just thought stuff like volunteering in a care home is just voluntary work compared to shadowing in a hospital which i always classed as work exp.
I'm sure it doesn't really matter but what do u guys think?

Hey I think it said voluntary work AND work expierience, and if you had more than two you should put the two latest, so I am going to put down my two latest, one of which happens to be voluntary and one is my "real job", but it all said on the sheet I believe so read that again, this is just all I remember from glancing through so don't quote me anywhere😅

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by michellelinnea
Hey I think it said voluntary work AND work expierience, and if you had more than two you should put the two latest, so I am going to put down my two latest, one of which happens to be voluntary and one is my "real job", but it all said on the sheet I believe so read that again, this is just all I remember from glancing through so don't quote me anywhere😅

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol, my bad you're right it's on the sheet!
Thought I'd share my thoughts on the book...

-Having already bought the ISC book, most of the questions were not new just "why medicine" ect. Explainations were also shorter, lacking depth.
-I liked the ethical section, gave some different and challenging questions, but if you already know the basic principles you won't need this. Also v. short.
-Good section on research (the reason why I bought the book). I hope this will help if asked!
-The stuff specificaly on BSMS you can find on the prospectus, so again nothing new here.
-Was it worth £18? No.
-Would I recommend? Yes and No. If this is your only interview, you're mad keen on BSMS, or don't feel fully prepared then yes. But if you know your stuff, have other interview books, or Brighton isn't top of you're list then no.

Overall I'm glad I got it as I want to give myself every chance I can this year, and you never know if a research question comes up that might be the difference between an offer or a reapplication... This is just my opinion though, hope it helps!
Original post by Komodo dragon

-Having already bought the ISC book, most of the questions were not new just "why medicine" ect. Explainations were also shorter, lacking depth.
-I liked the ethical section, gave some different and challenging questions, but if you already know the basic principles you won't need this. Also v. short.
-Good section on research (the reason why I bought the book). I hope this will help if asked!
-The stuff specificaly on BSMS you can find on the prospectus, so again nothing new here.
-Was it worth £18? No.
-Would I recommend? Yes and No. If this is your only interview, you're mad keen on BSMS, or don't feel fully prepared then yes. But if you know your stuff, have other interview books, or Brighton isn't top of you're list then no.

Overall I'm glad I got it as I want to give myself every chance I can this year, and you never know if a research question comes up that might be the difference between an offer or a reapplication... This is just my opinion though, hope it helps!

That's a very helpful review, thanks so much for sharing your thoughts on it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Komodo dragon

-Was it worth £18? No.

So in a nutshell the books only worth it for the research section and maybe the ethical questions. Unless you don't have an interview book at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pharma21
So in a nutshell the books only worth it for the research section and maybe the ethical questions. Unless you don't have an interview book at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Basically! And even then it's still v. short. I presume most people on here already have some type of interview book, but if not I would recommend the isc one over this one, as it's far more in depth. This one is more of an "extra". :smile:
Thought a photo of the offending article would help; just to show how incredibly skinny it is (definitely a very loose interpretation of the term 'book')...

Hahaha! the enormous photo makes it look bigger than it is :smile:

(actually 14.5 x 21 cm)
That is a very small book
They knew what they were doing with that book
They knew how desperate us prospective medics are!
Original post by tealover96
They knew what they were doing with that book
They knew how desperate us prospective medics are!

Couldn't agree more..!
And just for completeness...

It's 4mm thick

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending