The Student Room Group

International Relations courses

Struggling to choose my 5 choices! I am predicted AAA and love campus unis - I have so far looked at Warwick and loughborough and really liked both, I would say Warwick is my first choice. (Didn't like Birmingham though). I live in London so I'm not interested in anywhere here...

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Either a politics and international relations course or just straight IR!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by srhmah
Struggling to choose my 5 choices! I am predicted AAA and love campus unis - I have so far looked at Warwick and loughborough and really liked both, I would say Warwick is my first choice. (Didn't like Birmingham though). I live in London so I'm not interested in anywhere here...

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Either a politics and international relations course or just straight IR!

Posted from TSR Mobile

York, Leeds and Nottingham and Bath are all worth considering. Bath offers a placement year and Nottingham offers an undergrad Masters which includes a year abroad on their IR & Global Issues course (they also offer a standard 3 year IR course too though).
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by srhmah

Depends on the particulars of your interest; departments and faculty radically diverge in their strengths. Departments that benefit from decent faculty and/or reputation on the whole include: LSE, Cambridge, St. Andrews, KCL and Aberystwyth. Of course, other universities cater well, if not exceptionally, for particular interests, i.e. Sussex has leading faculty in critical theory and feminist IR.
Choose carefully. Not all IR courses are the same!

Read the course descriptions - including the detailed unit descriptions for all 3 years. Do NOT assume that you will like the course, or find it appropriate to your interests just because it is asking for AAA.

Look for courses that include a Year Abroad. Nothing else will teach you more about international politics! You dont have to be good at languages - there are options for America, Australia, Canada etc. Leeds, Birmingham, St Andrews, Exeter, Durham, UCL etc, offer this option.

PS. You should spread your choices over a wider grade range than just those asking for AAA. Therefore look at other courses and Unis!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending