The Student Room Group

applying for uni

I've received offers from surrey (economics and finance) SOAS (international relations and economics) and from city (economics)
I'm set on city being my insurance but I'm not sure if SOAS or Surrey is the better choice
Original post by Amznash06
I've received offers from surrey (economics and finance) SOAS (international relations and economics) and from city (economics)
I'm set on city being my insurance but I'm not sure if SOAS or Surrey is the better choice
which course do you prefer? if you had to imagine living in London or Surrey, realistically which one do you feel is better suited for you? these kind of questions are good starting points when trying to figure out your firm choice :smile:
Reply 2
SOAS has more academic clout, but you need to look closely at the course content for each Uni - the optional units of all years of each course - and think about the reality of studying that course, regardless of the Uni.
Hi there,

Congratulations on your offers!

The courses you applied for are all interesting and promise a great career.

Therefore, to make the best decision, make sure to research which career options satisfy or excite you more (whether it will be in economics, finance or international relations).

Additionally, research the opportunities offered by the univesities; such as, placements, study abroad or industry connections.

Lastly, make sure to check out the university's accessibility and location. Will you move to student accommodation or decide to commute to class?

I hope I managed to help!

Best of luck,
Melanie
LSBU Rep
Congratulations on your offer! I'm a final year Arabic and International Relations student at SOAS. I chose and love the IR degree at SOAS because it focuses on a global perspective where I studied the foreign politics of the Middle East, taking modules like the international political economy, International conflicts, rights and justice and Palestine/Israel. Every week the professors bring their expert insights and also the current affairs of these regions and enable us to debate, critique and share our views and expand our perspectives. SOAS is also a great uni because it's so diverse and offers a range of opportunities outside of your degree like part time work and tailored support through their careers service. There's over 100 societies to get involved in with things like sport, cultural clubs like MENA and UN Society.

I'd recommend exploring the course at all your choices, visiting the open days and speaking to students from those universities to get a better feel of where you'd prefer to go to. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them too!

Z
UG Arabic & IR
Hi there!

It's a good starting point to figure out which course you prefer, as they all seem to be different to each other. You can visit the Economics and Finance page here, where you can read about the modules offered, and decide if you like them.

You can also visit the Student Life page to get a better feel for what it's like living and studying at Surrey.

It's also always good to actually visit where you're applying to, because you can almost definitely tell if you'd enjoy being there for the duration of your degree. You can register your interest in coming for an open day here.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Hope this helps!

Marko
Accounting and Finance BSc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending