The Student Room Group

What's my situation (DLA messing me about)?

My DLA ran out at the beginning of August, and I sent my renewal form back at around that time. A week later, dated 10th of August I got a surprising letter saying I'd again been awarded lower rate care and mobility (surprising because of the speed with which they sent back the confirmation). I received one payment which seemed to cover three weeks.

I then didn't get another payment, so rang them up today and was told they have no record of sending that confirmation letter, and that they're still deciding my claim. I definitely have this letter, and it definitely says I get lower rate care and mobility until August 2016. It also says that I can use this letter 'to prove your entitlement to Disability Living Allowance to a variety of organisations'. I did not however receive the usual other letter stating the actual dates of regular payments.

They're going to call me back with (hopefully) more information, but I can't speak to them until next Friday. My question is: if they turn down my application, as is their wont to do, does this letter I received count in my favour for an appeal, or can they just say it was a mistake and has no bearing on the case?

Any informed opinions would be most welcome! :smile:
The latter.

How come you are not being reassessed for PIP?
Reply 2
Original post by balotelli12
The latter.

How come you are not being reassessed for PIP?

:frown: Damn.

No idea, they just said I could reapply and sent me the form, so I filled it in and sent it back.
Reply 3
Original post by superwolf
My DLA ran out at the beginning of August, and I sent my renewal form back at around that time. A week later, dated 10th of August I got a surprising letter saying I'd again been awarded lower rate care and mobility (surprising because of the speed with which they sent back the confirmation). I received one payment which seemed to cover three weeks.

If you can remember, What date did you send the renewal form?

I then didn't get another payment, so rang them up today and was told they have no record of sending that confirmation letter, and that they're still deciding my claim. I definitely have this letter, and it definitely says I get lower rate care and mobility until August 2016. It also says that I can use this letter 'to prove your entitlement to Disability Living Allowance to a variety of organisations'. I did not however receive the usual other letter stating the actual dates of regular payments.

Can you scan the letter please, redacting all personal details? At this point it simply looks like an erroneous letter, with the payment covering the arrears you were owed until the previous claim ran out. What date did you receive the payment, how much was it for, and what date did you receive the payment prior to that?

They're going to call me back with (hopefully) more information, but I can't speak to them until next Friday. My question is: if they turn down my application, as is their wont to do, does this letter I received count in my favour for an appeal, or can they just say it was a mistake and has no bearing on the case?

They are likely useless, and will run you around in circles taking advantage of vulnerability. When they call back you need to raise a complaint to the complaints team. Should at least get £100 out of it. Do you know which benefits centre is handling it?

Currently your claim is pending, so I can't really say exactly what will happen. However it will likely have no bearing on any appeal, although it'd be worth taking to a tribunal judge anyway as they'd likely at least :lolwut: a bit at it, setting the mood.

I have 'some' numbers, but unfortunately they aren't much use until we know who's handling what.
Send them a copy (photocopy) of your award letter.

PIP hasn't been rolled out in every single area for DLA renewals from what I understand. Probably because of the huge backlogs.
Reply 5
Just got off the phone with them (not that they bothered to call me back - I had to ring them :rolleyes:) and I have been awarded DLA, they just didn't put it on the system! :facepalm:

Thanks for everybody's help, and Samba I think I will put in a complaint - less for the chance of compensation and more cos they need to learn not to treat people like crap. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending