The Student Room Group

Uni of Westminster Law Prospects

Hey,
I've applied to study Law at Westminster. I'm wondering if it is virtually impossible like most websites say to get a good job in London in a law firm, not necessarily just for the Magic Circle. I know the MC is awfully competitive between Oxbridge students so I'm not getting my hopes up, but I don't want to be doing my degree and there be little to no chance I'm not going to get a good paying job in London.
Thank you!
You'll have a tougher time than someone from a better uni, but it's not impossible.
Hey @eng12344,

Firstly, CONGRATULATIONS on applying to study Law at Westminster - I know its only the first step into a pursuing a legal career but it is an exciting achievement nonetheless!

I actually studied Law (LLB) at the University of Westminster (UoW), and like you I had similar concerns about getting a 'good job' in London. I graduated very recently and shortly after graduation, I received a London Training Contract offer from one of the top US law firms in the world! In response to your post, it is definitely possible to get a 'good job' in London if you work hard both in an academic and professional capacity.

As you've spoken specifically about MC firms, I'll address that. My insight is that it doesn't matter what university/background you come from as long as you are consistently getting a 2:1 or a 1st at university (and I think the teaching at the UoW was phenomenal so attaining these grades shouldn't be too hard), and you are shortlisted for some of the first year insight schemes, open days and vacation schemes. The careers service at the UoW is phenomenal and I was able to gain so much legal work experience from it. By way of very brief overview I was able to take part in the following exclusive UoW events:

-Interviewing and Networking events (where one of the attendees was a partner at HSF)
-Trainee Panel event (with representatives from Travers Smith and other reputable law firms)
-BLD talk (where I gained exposure from a variety of different law firms including Baker Mckenzie and DLA Piper to name a few, and received a vacation scheme as a result)
-Aspiring Solicitors talk (who shortlisted me for over 15 open days (including all the MC firms except Slaughter and May) and provided me with legal mentors who were practising in-house and private practice lawyers)

and so many others! They also have a fantastic application review service as well which I used for most of my applications and provided me with substantial help for most of my interviews. I received training contract/vacation scheme interviews from a range of law firms including US, MC, silver circle, swiss verein structured law firms and many others.

So, the opportunity is yours to grab! For me personally, I wouldn’t have received a training contract offer from one of the top law firms in the world without having attended and having the support of the UoW behind me. I also know quite a few other people in a similar position as me so it is definitely possible.

Happy to answer any other questions you may have as I know it can be quite a stressful and daunting time applying for universities and having to think about all of this!
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
@TheStudentLawyer

Hey im in abit of a situation.

Im just about to start uni at westminister law. I really want to get a commercial law training contract. I got DDD in a btec level 3. But was predicted MMP. So i was put off applying for higher end universities. I have a genuine drive and believe i can still get into a magic circle law firm. But im getting put off by the whole people with non russel group degrees in law have a tiny chance of getting in.

I believe with 1-2 vacation schemes, insight days, legal work at high street firm, overall having a great cv and first class grade can still make me a solid canditate, although studying at westminister

Really confused and worried please help me out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending