The Student Room Group

suggestions on what degree I should do at university

Scroll to see replies

Original post by __Adam__
Looking at the first page of google, some unis don't mention physics, some want either chem or physics, some want both and some recommend physics but don't require it.

As for forensic science, I've heard that there's too many forensic science graduates trying to get a job in that field, but a chemistry degree should put in just a good a position (If not better) as them for a job there along with all the other fields a Chem degree can get you into. You might find more people that know about it if you posted a thread specifically asking about forensics, I can only go off what I've heard.

In case you're wondering about Chemistry vs Forensic Science degrees, I just found this, you may want to skim through it but it seems like a Chemistry degree is preferred for forensics so you're on the right track if you're interested. It seems like it would also put you ahead of forensic science graduates if you had a good Chemistry degree.

Try posting a thread so people with experience can tell you about it.

Spoiler

ohh okay, well I guess I'll just keep chemistry on my mind for now, is there any factors to consider when choosing a degree? I would like to make a wise decision
Original post by bubblegumcat
ohh okay, well I guess I'll just keep chemistry on my mind for now, is there any factors to consider when choosing a degree? I would like to make a wise decision

That come to mind now?

(Assuming you mean choosing one degree subject over another, rather than a degree at one university over the same degree at a different university. I can be more specific if that's what you meant)

Module options - Make sure you will actually enjoy what you're studying, you'll be spending 3 or 4 years of your life doing it. Your opinions on this may have changed by this time next year when you're applying with your AS results.

What your A-Levels allow you to do - Obviously you're thinking about this now and it's good that you're getting info together already

Your AS grades and A2 predictions when you get them.

Employment prospects - the Prospects website I linked earlier has info on fields you can go into with different degrees, also look on websites like Indeed, search for something like "Chemistry Graduate" or something similar and you''ll see job advertisements for those graduates to give you an idea of what skills employers are looking for.

The kind of course you want - 3 year Bsc, 4 year Integrated Masters, BSc with a year in industry or a year abroad
(edited 9 years ago)
I went to my first open day at the end of Year 12, and I know people who went in Year 11, so it's definitely not too early to consider uni!

If anything, I found going to an open day can really give you better ideas about your course. I went to Aberystwyth's open day to consider their genetics course, and whilst I'm not too hot on the idea of attending Aber, I found that Genetics would actually be a much more interesting course than I had previously considered, and now 3/5 of my options are for genetics, whereas it used to be just Aber.
Now is a good time to start thinking about both open days and work experience. Go and visit a university, attend some chemistry and chemical engineering talks and maybe talks for your other subjects. See if anything seems interesting.

I'd agree that except for maths gap years are actually popular with admission tutors as long as you have spent at least part of the year doing something relevant to the planned degree. They think you'll be more sure about your choice so less likely to change course and more mature so probably more organised and responsible. If applying to Oxbridge they like to see something academic so if you have relevant work experience mention the reading it inspired you to do and what extra things you learnt.
Original post by loperdoper
I went to my first open day at the end of Year 12, and I know people who went in Year 11, so it's definitely not too early to consider uni!

If anything, I found going to an open day can really give you better ideas about your course. I went to Aberystwyth's open day to consider their genetics course, and whilst I'm not too hot on the idea of attending Aber, I found that Genetics would actually be a much more interesting course than I had previously considered, and now 3/5 of my options are for genetics, whereas it used to be just Aber.

sorry for the late reply, which time of the year do universities hold their open days? is it all a specific month in the year or are they spread out? sorry if that's a silly question, I know nothing about university so far lol
Original post by parentlurker
Now is a good time to start thinking about both open days and work experience. Go and visit a university, attend some chemistry and chemical engineering talks and maybe talks for your other subjects. See if anything seems interesting.

I'd agree that except for maths gap years are actually popular with admission tutors as long as you have spent at least part of the year doing something relevant to the planned degree. They think you'll be more sure about your choice so less likely to change course and more mature so probably more organised and responsible. If applying to Oxbridge they like to see something academic so if you have relevant work experience mention the reading it inspired you to do and what extra things you learnt.

sorry for the late reply, what sort of work experience do you think will be useful towards chemistry? also I'm not planning on applying to oxbridge but my gcse's are very mediocre compared to everyone else on here, I'm aware A-levels are much more important but considering I got a couple of A/B's and 1 C, are there any universities that I should avoid applying to? especially if I do plan on doing something like chemistry/chemical engineering
Reply 26
OCR

I Also took OCR and got an Scraped an A in AS, take F323 seriously because it's very easy to get 100% in and you can get a lot of easy marks from it. F322 is the tough one
sorry for the late reply, what sort of work experience do you think will be useful towards chemistry? also I'm not planning on applying to oxbridge but my gcse's are very mediocre compared to everyone else on here, I'm aware A-levels are much more important but considering I got a couple of A/B's and 1 C, are there any universities that I should avoid applying to? especially if I do plan on doing something like chemistry/chemical engineering
Check where students from your school went last year, talk to your chemistry teacher, maybe contact local firm or the nearest university.

for chemistry anything in a lab or perhaps with a pharmaceutical company. Take a look here http://www.futuremorph.org/14-16/next-steps/follow-your-favourite-subject/careers-from-chemistry/work-experience-in-chemistry/

Sorry but you need to research uni requirements yourself as they change from year to year. Do well at AS, get good predicted grades and as long as you have maths and english GCSE you'll find places to apply.
(edited 9 years ago)
sorry for the late reply, which time of the year do universities hold their open days? is it all a specific month in the year or are they spread out? sorry if that's a silly question, I know nothing about university so far lol

Typically, they occur in two patches - june/july and september/october, but there can be exceptions. Often, each university has two/three open days in a year. Check opendays.com (I think it's that url) and they'll give you a list of university open days.
Original post by Sirk
I Also took OCR and got an Scraped an A in AS, take F323 seriously because it's very easy to get 100% in and you can get a lot of easy marks from it. F322 is the tough one

isn't F323 the practical skills thing? unfortunately I'm taking F322, looking at the outline of it, it does look somewhat boring :/ congrats on your A
Original post by parentlurker
Check where students from your school went last year, talk to your chemistry teacher, maybe contact local firm or the nearest university.

for chemistry anything in a lab or perhaps with a pharmaceutical company. Take a look here http://www.futuremorph.org/14-16/next-steps/follow-your-favourite-subject/careers-from-chemistry/work-experience-in-chemistry/

Sorry but you need to research uni requirements yourself as they change from year to year. Do well at AS, get good predicted grades and as long as you have maths and english GCSE you'll find places to apply.

ok thank you, I spoke to someone who recommended looking for work experience in a hospital, as it would tie in with chemistry, biology or psychology
Typically, they occur in two patches - june/july and september/october, but there can be exceptions. Often, each university has two/three open days in a year. Check opendays.com (I think it's that url) and they'll give you a list of university open days.

thank you! :smile:
thank you! :smile:

No problem! If you do decide to go to an open day, make sure you get there before midday so you can go to subject talks. I got to the Bath Spa one around 2pm because of traffic, and it meant I only really have impressions of the campus to go by as opposed to the actual course.
No problem! If you do decide to go to an open day, make sure you get there before midday so you can go to subject talks. I got to the Bath Spa one around 2pm because of traffic, and it meant I only really have impressions of the campus to go by as opposed to the actual course.

oh wow, yeah i'll make sure to do that, don't want to regret applying to certain uni's
oh wow, yeah i'll make sure to do that, don't want to regret applying to certain uni's

quite a few universities run 2 subject sessions, one in the morning and one in the afternoon. They book up quickly so you need to be organised.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending