The Student Room Group

Not sure what to write for my Film Studies personal statement..

So I've just had my course transferred to do Politics and Film Studies (strange combination, I know) and I'm allowed to alter my personal statement so it talks about film but I don't know what I should be writing about!
Should I talk about my favourite director? My own experience making short films? I'm not really sure what they expect!
Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by o.dowes
So I've just had my course transferred to do Politics and Film Studies (strange combination, I know) and I'm allowed to alter my personal statement so it talks about film but I don't know what I should be writing about!
Should I talk about my favourite director? My own experience making short films? I'm not really sure what they expect!
Thanks!

Have a look at the course description for the film studies course, and see what bits interest you. Then try to think why they interest you.

It will depend what course you're looking at, but experience making films may not be relevant. Some degrees are more about analysing other peoples' work rather than producing your own. You should be able to find the course description on the uni website.

Your favourite director isn't relevant on its own. But you might be able to talk about things they do that interest you, such as techniques used etc.

But I would strongly advise you to think very carefully about your choice. The fact that you can't write a personal statement suggests you haven't looked into this much. You're not opening up any opportunities by taking film studies, as there are no jobs that specifically require this degree. But there are a lot of jobs that will be closed to you, as it is seen as a "mickey mouse degree" or soft subject by many people.

If you look at the "career prospects" section of the KCL Film Studies page (might not be the uni you're looking at, but they are a well known university) they say

Our Film Studies graduates work in a range of careers, often directly connected to their education at King’s. Some pursue graduate work in filmmaking, acting and other creative aspects of the film and media industries. Others move on to film studies at graduate level. The study of film can also lead to exciting careers in print and media journalism, arts and other cultural management positions, film preservation and curating.

There is nothing there that you couldn't do with another degree. If you want to work in some of the areas (eg journalism) then there are other more respected and more obvious routes.
Thanks for such a detailed reply. I've looked at the course thoroughly and although I understand what you are saying I'm absolutely sure this is what I want to do. I'm only asking for advice on how to write the statement as I'm currently on a gap year and so I want to make absolutely sure I nail the personal statement because if I miss out this time I haven't got another year to wait. From what you are saying I know what I'll talk about, seeing as it's more of a technique based course I'll take it more from that angle.

As it's a combined honours course at a well-respected university I am confident I'm not going to end up with a bad degree as there are always going to be opportunities within Politics, I just want to diversify my options into something I love should I leave university and decide that isn't the direction I want to go in. Seeing as I don't want to go all in with a media degree I think this is the best thing!

Thanks for your suggestions though, they really are helpful!
Reply 3
Original post by username2794196
Thanks!

Hey! I’m currently in the same position, did you end up liking the course?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending