The Student Room Group

My textbook suggests i should be able to work this out WITHOUT a calculator?! URM???

So my text book has just told me for AS Maths, i should be able to work out the following questions without a calculator.
It's a simple question but my god, i am not able to work this out without a calculator?! lol

Have a think guys...

(-1) / 6 x 84

Am i missing a simple transposition here or something?
-14. It's just 84*(-1)/6. i.e. -(84/6). Is there a typo? That doesn't sound like an AS question.

How have you approached it?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by lewif002
So my text book has just told me for AS Maths, i should be able to work out the following questions without a calculator.
It's a simple question but my god, i am not able to work this out without a calculator?! lol

Have a think guys...

(-1) / 6 x 84

Is it not -14?

I presume you can divide 84 by 6 without a calculator.
The question is asking what's 84 divided by -6. Can you do that in your head?
Original post by lewif002

Have a think guys...

(-1) / 6 x 84

You just treat the 84 as the fraction 84/1 and multiply the two fractions together, you should be able to work it out from there.
AS level? GCSE level? Please, someone, reassure me that this simple mental arithmetic is still covered at primary school.
Not trying to be a dick but if you can't divide 84 by 6...
Original post by yo radical one
Not trying to be a dick but if you can't divide 84 by 6...

When you get to primary school and enter the world of formal education you'll find that you can. :rolleyes:
Original post by Good bloke
When you get to primary school and enter the world of formal education you'll find that you can. :rolleyes:

Note the word if

If you cannot divide 84 by 6, you have a problem
Original post by yo radical one
Note the word if

If you cannot divide 84 by 6, you have a problem

Ah! I missed that all-important word and took the ellipsis for a typo. I apologise.
Original post by Good bloke
Ah! I missed that all-important word and took the ellipsis for a typo. I apologise.

No worries Gb

Quick Reply

Latest