The Student Room Group

Calling out A levelers Maths, Sciences etc. What do you mean when you say revise?

People here say they revise 1 hour a day of each subject, but when they say revise do they mean learn?

Also revise from pre day 0, do you mean learn the content. I know to give the best chance of getting brilliant grades you should start in Sept - but am I supposed to be revising already or learning.

I do about 5 hours a day when I am working that day, and about 9/10 otherwise.

And yes it is fruitful, not just inactivity.

We're all gunna make it yada yada.

But what do the people aiming for a stars mean when they say they revise?
Reply 1
i write down info from the textbook and i will try to use past questions in the future :wink:
Revision for me is basically doing a little bit of reading in the evenings in preparation for the next school day. The next school day I try to do all the homework in lessons that I was supposed to do the previous evening !
Original post by Azula
i write down info from the textbook and i will try to use past questions in the future :wink:

Interesting, I make notes from my guides and try to tackle the questions.

Original post by sunnydespair
Revision for me is basically doing a little bit of reading in the evenings in preparation for the next school day. The next school day I try to do all the homework in lessons that I was supposed to do the previous evening !

Right I see.

Do any of you guys, go ahead of where your class are - meaning do work that they havent covered yet?
Reply 4
Original post by ANEXIS kZstaR
Interesting, I make notes from my guides and try to tackle the questions.

Right I see.

Do any of you guys, go ahead of where your class are - meaning do work that they havent covered yet?

yeah i try to for biology and geography but im kinda short of time usually
Reply 5
Revising. As long as you're going through topics at the right speed, you don't need to be learning stuff before you get to it in school, it just means you'll be bored later when you're being taught it again in school (It got a bit boring learning integration by parts 3 times)

I did textbook notes for Physics, condensed the textbook into ~10 pages along with tables for the definitions to memorise. I also read mark schemes and occasionally examiners reports, as they tell you exactly what you need to include in answers, and the reports tell you where everyone else screws up so you can focus on those bits/

For maths, past or mock exam questions.
Reply 6
Well what I find as fruitful revision/studying is learning the content of the topic maybe the day before the lesson. Then of course once you get into the lesson, it would be easier to understand and catch more knowledge from the teacher. I would then go over what I've learnt the same day, the next day and then in a couple weeks time by practising exam questions until I can confidently get 80%+ on a past paper.
It worked for me in AS Maths and I managed to get an A.
So I'm doing the same this year and hoping for the same result.

People would give you different suggestion on how long you should study for each subject, but everyone learns differently as you know, so its best just to keep revising until you feel satisfied and that you know that you can confidently answer questions on the topic if a surprise test was to ever occur.
Original post by Azula
yeah i try to for biology and geography but im kinda short of time usually

Ah nice :biggrin:

Original post by __Adam__
Revising. As long as you're going through topics at the right speed, you don't need to be learning stuff before you get to it in school, it just means you'll be bored later when you're being taught it again in school (It got a bit boring learning integration by parts 3 times)

I did textbook notes for Physics, condensed the textbook into ~10 pages along with tables for the definitions to memorise. I also read mark schemes and occasionally examiners reports, as they tell you exactly what you need to include in answers, and the reports tell you where everyone else screws up so you can focus on those bits/

For maths, past or mock exam questions.

This is what I was looking for too thanks.

Would you advise doing other boards questions for maths, and for other subjects?
Reply 8

This is what I was looking for too thanks.

Would you advise doing other boards questions for maths, and for other subjects?

It's not something I looked at, but if you can find similar content from other exam boards then yeah you can do those questions too. Remember your main exam focus should be the most recent papers by your board.

Check their mark schemes first though, if other boards want you to answer questions using different working/methods than what your board says, I'd ignore those parts of their mark schemes and just make sure you get the right answer. Only answer exam questions in the way your board says otherwise you might lose method marks.
(edited 9 years ago)
It's not something I looked at, but if you can find similar content from other exam boards then yeah you can do those questions too.

Check their mark schemes first though, if other boards want you to answer questions using different working/methods than what your board says, I'd ignore those parts of their mark schemes and just make sure you get the right answer. Only answer exam questions in the way your board says otherwise you might lose method marks.

ah cool gr8 advvice.

u doing a levels atm brah?
ah cool gr8 advvice.

u doing a levels atm brah?

Just finished this year, going to university in a week.
Just finished this year, going to university in a week.

Nice, your grades are envyus :d

May I ask you why you are going York and not a higher uni if you don't mind me asking.

Nice course, too though. However Mechanics itself @ A Level is quite laborious if you nomsaying?
Hmm... I need to keep an eye on this thread
Nice, your grades are envyus :d

May I ask you why you are going York and not a higher uni if you don't mind me asking.

Nice course, too though. However Mechanics itself @ A Level is quite laborious if you nomsaying?

Thanks, I wanted to do joint maths/physics so that limited choices a bit. I was interested in Durham, but they didn't do the course and it's only 20 minutes away from my house, so a little too close to home. I got a B (210 UMS) at AS Physics as well, so some universities that needed an A/A* at A2 Physics may not have given me an offer. My options after results day were either York, adjustment or a gap year, and universities don't like maths students taking gap years. Also all the higher ranked universities that offered the course are mainly down south, and I didn't want to move that far away.

York seemed like a good combination of: good uni (Russell group and top 20), distance away from home (1 hour by train) and I liked the modules on offer. Plus I'm interested in nuclear fusion and they have the York Plasma Institute on campus.

Mechanics 1 was so boring for me. We did it in normal maths at A2, but unit 2 Physics (which was mainly mechanics) was done at AS, so everyone who had done AS physics already knew pretty much all of M1. We just did FP4 in M1 lessons instead. M2 was a lot better though.
Thanks, I wanted to do joint maths/physics so that limited choices a bit. I was interested in Durham, but they didn't do the course and it's only 20 minutes away from my house, so a little too close to home. I got a B (210 UMS) at AS Physics as well, so some universities that needed an A/A* at A2 Physics may not have given me an offer. My options after results day were either York, adjustment or a gap year, and universities don't like maths students taking gap years. Also all the higher ranked universities that offered the course are mainly down south, and I didn't want to move that far away.

York seemed like a good combination of: good uni (Russell group and top 20), distance away from home (1 hour by train) and I liked the modules on offer. Plus I'm interested in nuclear fusion and they have the York Plasma Institute on campus.

Mechanics 1 was so boring for me. We did it in normal maths at A2, but unit 2 Physics (which was mainly mechanics) was done at AS, so everyone who had done AS physics already knew pretty much all of M1. We just did FP4 in M1 lessons instead. M2 was a lot better though.

Quite insightful, fair play to you brah.

You seem like a decent guy, I wish you all the best at uni mate :smile:

Last question, for someone extremely willing to get straight a stars at a level, do you have any specific advice to help me out please :smile:
Quite insightful, fair play to you brah.

You seem like a decent guy, I wish you all the best at uni mate :smile:

Last question, for someone extremely willing to get straight a stars at a level, do you have any specific advice to help me out please :smile:

(Thanks for the follow)

I had to put in a lot of work over the year, mainly for physics as the B/C borderline AS grade shocked me a bit. I did pretty much every past paper since 2010 and went over all the mark schemes for them. However in physics, I still neglected revising for the practical experiment, and I ended up getting B's in them and that was the main place I lost UMS. It may not be worth as much as the exams, but it's still important to make sure you get it right. I don't know what it's like for other sciences, but for the physics practical, when you get around the A/A* boundary each mark starts being worth 2/3 UMS, so mistakes lose a lot of UMS.

As for maths, I did further maths as well, so all my maths revision was covered when I revised further maths. I did additional modules (FP2 and D2) and if I hadn't done those, I'd have gotten an A in FM instead of an A* (87% average at A2 instead of 93%). Also, I found a graphical calculator very useful as I could use it to make sure some of my answers were right. They can't help you with your working though, the majority of the work answering questions will be you, not your calculator.

While I did get A*'s, the downside is that; between learning additional modules and revising for physics resits, I had loads of work to do over the year and didn't get to talk to friends a lot about non-school related stuff, and ended up with 3 maths exams, 5 FM exams, and 4 physics exams (the entire AS and A2 physics course) at the end of the year, and it's difficult to know all that material at once, or set up a decent revision plan for it. So great outcome, but not a lot of fun doing it and it was pretty stressful over the exam month. I only took 1 day off over the month while people were on study leave as I had that much to revise.

Make sure you don't overwork yourself in the aim of getting straight A*'s, you'd be in danger of a major screw up if you try to do too much at once. If you're capable of getting it, great, but remember that if you do more stuff, either you have to spend less time on each topic, or you set aside more time for revision and less time for things you enjoy (Hence the "great outcome, not a lot of fun doing it" bit above). It's a difficult thing to do no matter how many people on TSR come forward with their 9374 A* grades and say otherwise. Overworking is dangerous.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest