The Student Room Group

gcse 2024

i'm doing aqa for:
english lit and lang (macbeth, jekyll and hyde, lord of the flies, power and conflict poems)
biology (single science)
physics (single science)
chemistry (single science)
religious studies
german
french

i'm doing edexcel for:
maths
geography

and i'm doing ocr for:
computer science

all my subjects are higher tier and I need some help with revision notes and quotes for english and stuff please
Reply 1
Original post by fdfd\aa
i'm doing aqa for:
english lit and lang (macbeth, jekyll and hyde, lord of the flies, power and conflict poems)
biology (single science)
physics (single science)
religious studies
german
french

i'm doing edexcel for:
maths
geography

and i'm doing ocr for:
computer science

all my subjects are higher tier and I need some help with revision notes and quotes for english and stuff please

what specifically do you need help with?
im personally a if i get it i get learner so im not gonna be much help bvut i can try like point you in certain directions lmao
RIGHT I MEAN IN SCIENCE BTW
english isnt really my forte nor my first language and also i did not do any of those i did romeo and juliet, love and relationship poems and pride and prejudice :')
also do you speak german/ french at home? js curious bc most ppl dont take 2 so
Reply 2
Original post by fdfd\aa
i'm doing aqa for:
biology (single science)
physics (single science)
religious studies
german
french

i'm doing edexcel for:
maths
geography

and i'm doing ocr for:
computer science

for science deffo watch some vids for basic understanding bc i struggled in physics with microphones for example but even after i understood it i could only explain like if i was chatting about it like rn "the sound waves go through the wire bc it alternates or smth? the magnet induces a field and makes a noise" i made that up btw i lit forgot everything dont quote that but yeah lmk what specifically it is bc if its not understanding then its not as necessary obvs
Original post by fdfd\aa
i'm doing aqa for:
biology (single science)
physics (single science)
religious studies
german
french

i'm doing edexcel for:
maths
geography

and i'm doing ocr for:
computer science

Hey,

I did my GCSEs a couple of years ago now, but I can try and help.

I'm going to be honest with you, I barely revised for English, but I still managed to get a 9 for English. I'll try and give you some tips I should have done/ things I did the night before my exam.

do practice papers!!!

revise!

for each character, revise around 10-15 quotes.

create mindmaps, Quizlets, flashcards etc

For poetry, I used Genius to get all my annotations

For paper 1, question 5, I had prewritten 3 stories that matched with all the past exam questions and got my teacher to mark it so that by the time my exam rolled around, I just memorised those stories and only spent 20 minutes in the real exam for question 5 only needing to make minor adjustments. If you do that, make sure you look at ALL past paper questions and get them marked to full marks.

do some light reading on the context of the texts you're studying e.g. for Macbeth, read about religion, Divine Rights of Kings etc, for Jekyll, read about Freud's theory

look at the mark scheme and understand the weighting on your A0s and what they mean

time your questions properly

This posts seems very messy as I am writing this at half three in the morning so apologies in advance. I'd say don't do what I did because getting a 9 with little revision is a very rare case. I was incredibly stressed out when my exams came around and I got off lucky. It also sets you up for a bad future as currently, I am studying for my A-levels and, because I didn't master revision techniques, I'm struggling.

If you need any more in depth tips or the structure I used, feel free to DM me and I'll try my best to answer them.
Original post by fdfd\aa
i'm doing aqa for:
biology (single science)
physics (single science)
religious studies
german
french

i'm doing edexcel for:
maths
geography

and i'm doing ocr for:
computer science

I did my GCSE’s 2 years ago but I am a A Level English literature student and might be able to help you. Is there any specific quotes you are wanting like themes , characters etc? For higher grades in English literature always add in your own interpretations ; like for example, if you want to make a social commentary on Macbeths power being fuelled by signs of mental health struggles or how lady Macbeth isint acruallt a powerful women she is instead a women who is obsessed and addicted to gaining it making her weak and corrupted. Any interpretations you have that steers away from what your taught is what makes you hit the top marks. As well as, If there is any stage directions in the plays you study make sure you make points about them , like lighting etc because the exam board want to hear about the analysis but also the structure that differentiates it from the novels you learn. I don’t know if that helps but if you ever need help just drop me a message on here as I still have all my revision notes hidden somewhere
Reply 5
Original post by Graciemosley05
I did my GCSE’s 2 years ago but I am a A Level English literature student and might be able to help you. Is there any specific quotes you are wanting like themes , characters etc? For higher grades in English literature always add in your own interpretations ; like for example, if you want to make a social commentary on Macbeths power being fuelled by signs of mental health struggles or how lady Macbeth isint acruallt a powerful women she is instead a women who is obsessed and addicted to gaining it making her weak and corrupted. Any interpretations you have that steers away from what your taught is what makes you hit the top marks. As well as, If there is any stage directions in the plays you study make sure you make points about them , like lighting etc because the exam board want to hear about the analysis but also the structure that differentiates it from the novels you learn. I don’t know if that helps but if you ever need help just drop me a message on here as I still have all my revision notes hidden somewhere

hey i am taking english literature for my A levels aswell but my main strength is english language. my school doesn't do english language so I'm wondering if there are there any tips for A level? my grades at the beginning of y11 were:
English literature 8
English language 9
Original post by fdfd\aa

hey i am taking english literature for my A levels aswell but my main strength is english language. my school doesn't do english language so I'm wondering if there are there any tips for A level? my grades at the beginning of y11 were:
English literature 8
English language 9

It is very important to go into English literature open minded as it is very different to GCSE. You will need to learn how to incorporate critics , interpretations and context ( most essays questions are more contextual than critical analysis depending on your exam board). When you begin the best thing to do is always do extra further reading outside of college and learn new content outside of your lesson as the exam boards LOVE your own debates and interpretations. It can be quite challenging at time so when your further in the year I do suggest doing practice papers as the questions are quite broad and subjective to fit to a wider range of literary texts and it can be hard to figure out what your writing about. Overall , English literature is a hard subject in terms of grade boundaries but it is so interesting , especially the 14th century part. Before I started sixth form, we got the reading list so when you get that in august time I do suggest maybe reading ahead before the class even if your reading it in the class as it means you can open a discussion in the class with a wider understanding. Gutted there’s no English language for you I do a level eng Lang too and it’s so interesting but COMPLETELY different to GCSE

Quick Reply

Latest