The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

1.5 points a game at this stage of the season isn't a problem. Although 1 point a game at this stage requires title form for majority of the season to get into top 4.

United are already out of the title race as they're not going to get through that tough fixture list but Liverpool have faced a lot of top teams so far in comparison.
geuninly think that this weekend has so much potential for goals..

I dont think anything can live up to last weekend, but:

Arsenal - spurs
Liverpool - everton
Uniited - anyone

All have the potential to be huge goal-fests..

Let alone city + chelsea having easier games that could become thrashings..

If I was a betting man, my money this weekend would be on lots of goals..
Reply 382
Original post by fallen_acorns
geuninly think that this weekend has so much potential for goals..

I dont think anything can live up to last weekend, but:

Arsenal - spurs
Liverpool - everton
Uniited - anyone

All have the potential to be huge goal-fests..

Let alone city + chelsea having easier games that could become thrashings..

If I was a betting man, my money this weekend would be on lots of goals..

"United - anyone"

Looool. It must be so peak to be a united fan

It's true though, if this weekend is even close to the beauty of the last then we're on for a treat, especially with the games on this weekend. I just hope it'll be good, it's gna be my last weekend before I start work & so I'll miss most live games up until Christmas :frown:
Really, going to Stamford Bridge to face Chelsea is like facing a man with several assault weapons and hoping you come out alive against him with just a spear and a shield. If you have a game plan you'll be lucky to lose 1-0. If not, get ready for Diego Costa to literally TEAR THROUGH your back four.
Original post by fallen_acorns
mm, I mean, the season as a whole I am honestly not that worried for..

at the moment it looks so much easier then last season, no fixture pile-up, no other consistant threats, bar the top2..

We are not playing great, and yet already we sit in 4th..

I honestly do not see any reason we would get bellow 3rd, or 4th at the very lowest, considering how many problems liverpool, united, spurs, and everton are having at the moment..

Sure it wont be the season we all wanted, and we could have had, if we had built on last season - but it will do whats important: maintain the status quo, until arsene leaves, allowing his successor to start with a really good base of CL football (depressing that this is what I am hoping for now)

That said, some fixtures do worry me, like the chelsea game. My heart says we have a chance, but chelsea are brutal these days, and just like at city last week, where they would have weasled to a win if it were not for one of their own.. I can just see them being ruthless this season and crushing most things that come before them..

- on a positive though, win tommorow and we go into their game unbeaten :redface:

You've lost two of your last three games...
Reply 385
Original post by The Shed End

Unbeaten in the PL.
Original post by Lúcio
not really.
a loss gives 6 from 18 = 1/3 points total.
a win gives 9 from 18 = 1/2 points total.

a win is obviously good but it still puts us below our aim.
we're looking for an average of 2 points eevery game = 2/3 points total.
so even a win tomorrow wouldn't end things "very well", merely "less unsatisfactory".

Overall, perhaps, but Derby days are always a separate event, not necessarily about the points.
Original post by SHOO
Unbeaten in the PL.

That's cute.

They fielded a completely unfamiliar back four against Southampton. Dortmund result was predictable, not even the mighty Real could beat them at the Westfalen (and some would suggest that Arsenal winning there last season "was a fluke")
(edited 9 years ago)

We lost 6 or so games during the invincibles, still counts as going unbeaten when it's competition specific.

Also, the league cup is hardly a measure of a team, and Dortmund can expect to beat any team in world football at their ground.
Original post by Pete_91
We lost 6 or so games during the invincibles, still counts as going unbeaten when it's competition specific.

Also, the league cup is hardly a measure of a team, and Dortmund can expect to beat any team in world football at their ground.

Hence why the invincibles is such a ridiculous name
Original post by Nedum Onuoha

The League Invincibles is better.
Original post by Gob Bluth
The League Invincibles is better.

although less catchy

Get over it, it's done. More than 10 years ago now they didn't give themselves that name blame the media.

Henry and Vieira talked about being unbeatable in the league and the media took it from there.

Lol at your attempt to diminish the achievement though.
Original post by Pete_91
Get over it, it's done. More than 10 years ago now they didn't give themselves that name blame the media.

Henry and Vieira talked about being unbeatable in the league and the media took it from there.

Lol at your attempt to diminish the achievement though.

It's not as amazing as people make out. They were playing for a draw at the end ffs
It's not as amazing as people make out. They were playing for a draw at the end ffs

If it's so easy why has it not been done since or before in the 20th/21st century?

**** off we were playing for draws. The last 2 or so games where the league had been wrapped up maybe we did but not for 34 games at least. Whereas Chelsea played not to lose the whole of the next season and still lost 1 game.
Original post by Pete_91
If it's so easy why has it not been done since or before in the 20th/21st century?

**** off we were playing for draws. The last 2 or so games where the league had been wrapped up maybe we did but not for 34 games at least. Whereas Chelsea played not to lose the whole of the next season and still lost 1 game.

Because the aim of football is to win, not to avoid defeat. There's plenty of times where a team has lost only one or two games throughout the season, and those defeats have been to the big teams so they could have played for a draw and stayed unbeaten, if that was the aim. But it's not, points are so playing for a win is more beneficial.

That's why I said at the end. Chelsea 04-05 are the goat premier league team. They played not to lose yet still scored the same number of goals as Arsenal 03-04 :lol:
(edited 9 years ago)
Because the aim of football is to win, not to avoid defeat. There's plenty of times where a team has lost only one or two games throughout the season, and those defeats have been to the big teams so they could have played for a draw and stayed unbeaten, if that was the aim. But it's not, points are so playing for a win is more beneficial.

That's why I said at the end. Chelsea 04-05 are the goat premier league team. They played not to lose yet still scored the same number of goals as Arsenal 03-04 :lol:

They spent hundreds of millions on attacking players that's why...Our only purchases were Reyes and Lehmann. There's a reason we're held in a higher regard because we didn't buy it. The fact that they still lost to QPR is glorious tbh...
(edited 9 years ago)

This doesnt make much sense. Earlier in the season I can vividly remember games we drew when 1-0 up because we kept attacking. When Chelsea 2005 went 1-0 up they basically settled and killed the game. Efficient surely, but much much more negative than Arsenal. Had Arsenal 2004 done the same, no doubt they'd have got the points total record as well.

That ''played for draws'' thing was started by Adrian Durham and loads of people who literally couldnt name a single specific example of that just repeat it. I was at those games and I cant remember us ever playing for draws. There were times when there were nerves about losing of course, but that's not the same thing.
Original post by Zürich
This doesnt make much sense. Earlier in the season I can vividly remember games we drew when 1-0 up because we kept attacking. When Chelsea 2005 went 1-0 up they basically settled and killed the game. Efficient surely, but much much more negative than Arsenal. Had Arsenal 2004 done the same, no doubt they'd have got the points total record as well.

That ''played for draws'' thing was started by Adrian Durham and loads of people who literally couldnt name a single specific example of that just repeat it. I was at those games and I cant remember us ever playing for draws. There were times when there were nerves about losing of course, but that's not the same thing.

I don't see that as a negative. In terms of entertainment maybe, but in terms of a good team no. The aim is to get the most points and holding out for the points is often the best way to do that.

0-0 at home vs Birmingham when the title was already won?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/3655241.stm
Arsenal barely managed a shot on target

A team that had already won the league but didn't have the unbeaten record to keep would have attacked more. I don't remember these games though so what do I know.
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest