The Student Room Group

Do you value the capital one cup?

Why/why not? I definitely don't see it in the same light as say the FA Cup. Many teams don't take it seriously as well which lowers it's prestige but then a trophy's a trophy I suppose.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

No, because we're Manchester United and we're the biggest football club in the world.
A "big team" won it last season so I guess they are starting to take it more seriously
Yeah, it's a trophy. Every team wants to win trophies. :smile:
Only if we win it.
Absolutely. It's a trophy, a day out at Wembley, and a root into Europe. As well as in the earlier rounds often cheap tickets,good atmospheres and a chance to see lots of younger players and plenty of goals.
Couldn't care less about it. Wenger once said that finishing fourth is more important than winning it and he's right. When even Championship and League One clubs are now playing weakened teams in a 3/4 empty stadium, something is badly wrong. There's barely any prize money and changing the sponsor name every few years doesn't help. In my lifetime i've seen it being referred to as the Coca Cola Cup, Worthington Cup, Carling Cup, Capital One Cup... hardly sounds prestigious does it?

As far as i'm concerned it's the Football League Cup, so it should be for Football League teams. Maybe add a rule that Premier League teams should have to play their reserve teams, because the u21 league really doesn't do much for their development.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Manchester United
No, because we're Manchester United and we're the biggest football club in the world.

Behind Real, Barca and Bayern. If you were the biggest club in the world you should be able to beat better teams than QPR.
Why call it by it's sponsor name? Do you say the Barclays Premier League? It's the League Cup, calling it the Capital One Cup just makes it sound pathetic and amateurish.

Anyone who goes to matches knows for a football fan the League Cup is the best domestic competition in this country. Massive allocations, evening kick offs, a quick route to the final and very few JCL's.

Personally I love it. Don't mind too much if we go out and would rather win the FA Cup but it's a trophy.

Turning your nose up at major silverware is embarrassing.
Original post by The Shed End
Behind Real, Barca and Bayern. If you were the biggest club in the world you should be able to beat better teams than QPR.

I agree with the crux of what you are saying but 'big club' is not synonymous with 'good team'.

It is an underachieving MU team but that does not mean they are not a big club. Real Madrid have lost twice this season in the league already and you've got them ahead of MU.
Original post by Wilfred Little
I agree with the crux of what you are saying but 'big club' is not synonymous with 'good team'.

It is an underachieving MU team but that does not mean they are not a big club. Real Madrid have lost twice this season in the league already and you've got them ahead of MU.

Madrid are the biggest team in the world though, tbh that's undeniable. Real were disappointing to concede 4 against Sociedad, but the Atletico result has been blown way out of proportion because there as a good a team as last season. They were clinical against Deportivo, Sevilla and Basel etc, something United have been only once this season against arguably the worst team in the League.
Yes, because it's the only thing we've won.
Reply 12
Why call it by it's sponsor name? Do you say the Barclays Premier League? It's the League Cup, calling it the Capital One Cup just makes it sound pathetic and amateurish.

Anyone who goes to matches knows for a football fan the League Cup is the best domestic competition in this country. Massive allocations, evening kick offs, a quick route to the final and very few JCL's.

Personally I love it. Don't mind too much if we go out and would rather win the FA Cup but it's a trophy.

Turning your nose up at major silverware is embarrassing.

the only one here pathetic is yourself. You're essentially getting worked up over a non-issue really. It's heavily known and reported (e.g. by Sky, the official website even :rolleyes:, club websites too) as the capital one. Hardly amateurish :lol:.

And yes, i do call it the Barclays Premier League from time to time.

Nobody else has made any issue of calling it that. Save your rage for something else, lad.
(edited 9 years ago)
Madrid are the biggest team in the world though, tbh that's undeniable. Real were disappointing to concede 4 against Sociedad, but the Atletico result has been blown way out of proportion because there as a good a team as last season. They were clinical against Deportivo, Sevilla and Basel etc, something United have been only once this season against arguably the worst team in the League.

No I agree Real Madrid are the biggest club in the world. But if they had a crap season next year and got relegated they would still be the biggest club, is what I'm getting at.

MU might be punching below their weight but they're still top 5/6.

Liverpool are up there too.

We're the most valuable club in the world and we're the most supported club in the world.
Original post by YesAllMen
the only one here pathetic is yourself. You're essentially getting worked up over a non-issue really. It's heavily known and reported (e.g. by Sky, the official website even :rolleyes:) as the capital one. Hardly amateurish :lol:.

sr90 made the same point. Calling it that devalues it. It's the League Cup.

Gazprom Champions League :cool:

And yes, i do call it the Barclays Premier League from time to time.

lol
No I agree Real Madrid are the biggest club in the world. But if they had a crap season next year and got relegated they would still be the biggest club, is what I'm getting at.

MU might be punching below their weight but they're still top 5/6.

Liverpool are up there too.

I know, I was being sarcastic with the QPR bit, but they should be doing better and having spent over £50 million even on their defence they should have no excuse. Blind is a good CB yet they don't play him there, they bought three LB yet don't use a formation that uses one and he's playing Rojo over Shaw who they spent £30 million on.
Original post by Manchester United
We're the most valuable club in the world and we're the most supported club in the world.

Nah, Real are. Funny how you're fans always go on about number of trophies to Liverpool fans, but ignore statistics when saying things like you have more 'fans' than clubs like Real.
Nah, Real are. Funny how you're fans always go on about number of trophies to Liverpool fans, but ignore statistics when saying things like you have more 'fans' than clubs like Real.

I remember when Andy Green made a similar point when attacking Ferguson over senior staff at MU getting bonuses.

They claim to have 600m fans or whatever the number is, but many of these 'fans' are actually fans of other teams too.

Judging a club's size by fan base is silly anyway.
Reply 19
sr90 made the same point. Calling it that devalues it. It's the League Cup.

Gazprom Champions League :cool:

lol

Don't think he's in agreement with what you say though; he doesn't value it whereas you do :colondollar:. And you're getting annoyed at me calling it by it's sponsor name whereas I'm guessing he means the idea that it's constantly rebranded by different names showing they don't care what it's called too much.

Not many sites report it or call it the Gazprom CL though do they? Unlike the capital one cup. Do you hear managers mentioning Gazprom? Sky Sports? BBC? Nope. Whereas it's very common for the other cup to be called by it's sponsor name. Their fault for devaluing it then?

Quick Reply

Latest