The Student Room Group

Why did schools stop teaching creationism?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Chief Wiggum
I can't believe people are taking this thread seriously.

Because Poe's Law
Reply 21
They teach the one that actually has evidence going for it.
Original post by Schezerade
That's not true. Were you around 6000 years ago? No? Then how do you know for sure?

‎"The believer speaks little, but does much.
And the hypocrite talks a lot, but does little.
The believer's speech is wisdom,
his silence is contemplation,
his gaze is pondering,
his actions are righteous.
So if this is your state, you shall perpetually be in worship"

- Fudayl bin Iyyad

An isotope is a version of an element containing a certain number of neutrons. Some isotopes (for example, carbon-14) are unstable, and will gradually turn into different isotopes (in this example, carbon-13) over very long periods of time. The carbon dioxide in the air has a more-or-less fixed concentration of carbon-14 because it's being constantly produced from other isotopes by ionising radiation in the upper atmosphere. When plants fix carbon dioxide in the air into their own biomass through photosynthesis, the carbon-14 concentration begins to slowly decrease, as it converts to carbon-13. This continues even after the plant has died and been fossilised. Here's the punchline: the observed ratios of carbon-13 to carbon-14 in many fossilised plants found on Earth suggest that those plants lived and died much, much more than 6000 years ago - on the order of millions of years, in fact. This is why we don't need to have been around 6000 years ago to know that the world already existed. We have found the remains of life forms that lived on Earth far earlier than that.

You're going to reject this out of hand, of course, but I had to at least try.
Reply 23
Original post by bertstare
Neither is evolution, it is a theory

Semantics

Original post by Miss Posh
Well which word should he have used instead of 'creating'?

He didn't.

That's not true. Were you around 6000 years ago? No? Then how do you know for sure?

his gaze is pondering,

- Fudayl bin Iyyad

I don't think my grandmother will appreciate being told that her parents never existed.
10/10 troll thread

Bertstare is a dentistry student ie probably pretty good at science.
Original post by Chlorophile

Technically speaking gravitation is a law, not a theory. But yes, we know that evolution through natural selection is valid to a similar extent to gravitation (i.e. virtually 100%).

Gravitation has laws yes, but we don't know what "gravity" itself is and we can't integrate it into the standard model and general relativity at the same time so it's still a theory?

Also isn't gravitation the mechanics of gravity not gravity itself?
(edited 9 years ago)

his gaze is pondering,

- Fudayl bin Iyyad

Carbon dating.

What sort of logic is 'were you around? If not you can't be sure?'

I'm 23, so by your reckoning I can't be certain the Cold War existed, WWII ever happened, Henry VIII ever sat on the throne of England etc.

Quoting from a book does not truth make, show me some evidence.
Assalamualaikum.

Evolution? Do you guys actually believe in this bull****? It's a weak theory bundled together with random ideas including humans coming from monkeys, snakes losing legs, and birds having ancestors who were dinosaurs - absolutely nonsensical diabolical tripe!

This is what makes me think that the theory of evolution is a poisonous zionist ideology perpetuated by the illuminati.

No wonder society has hit an all time low. You have the masses indoctrinated with all these laughable theories. When will this madness end?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
An isotope is a version of an element containing a certain number of neutrons. Some isotopes (for example, carbon-14) are unstable, and will gradually turn into different isotopes (in this example, carbon-13) over very long periods of time. The carbon dioxide in the air has a more-or-less fixed concentration of carbon-14 because it's being constantly produced from other isotopes by ionising radiation in the upper atmosphere. When plants fix carbon dioxide in the air into their own biomass through photosynthesis, the carbon-14 concentration begins to slowly decrease, as it converts to carbon-13. This continues even after the plant has died and been fossilised. Here's the punchline: the observed ratios of carbon-13 to carbon-14 in many fossilised plants found on Earth suggest that those plants lived and died much, much more than 6000 years ago - on the order of millions of years, in fact. This is why we don't need to have been around 6000 years ago to know that the world already existed. We have found the remains of life forms that lived on Earth far earlier than that.

You're going to reject this out of hand, of course, but I had to at least try.

Le Nombre
x

Exon
x

Was trolling lol... seem to have been pretty convincing though. :lol:
Neither is evolution, it is a theory
Are you and QuantumSuicide really that obtuse or just unbelievably belligerent?
(edited 9 years ago)
Troll harder mother****er, I'm not biting.
Reply 31
Was trolling lol... seem to have been pretty convincing though. :lol:

So was I
Reply 32
Since evolution is just a theory and hasn't been confirmed, isn't it incredibly arrogant of the scientific community to tout their beliefs as the be all end all, so much that they actually ban the teaching of alternative viewpoints?

For people who are supposed to be open minded to new ideas, I find that astounding... when the theory actually becomes fact then maybe we can go down that route but until then it is ridiculous that creationism isn't taught as standard.

I think you misunderstand the meaning of the word 'theory' in a scientific context - where it is used to mean a hypothesis which is well supported by evidence. We have a substantial body of evidence regarding evolution (not only consisting of fossil records and DNA evidence etc.: it's also been observed in real time). Creationism does not fit this definition of the word theory as it has no evidence - until a sufficient amount of evidence for creationism can be produced (though I doubt that it can), it should not be taught in schools.
I so hope you are a troll.

If not, I hope you don't procreate. Humanity would be better off without genes that lead to this kind of bs.
4/10 for fooling a lot of people.
Reply 35
Original post by QuantumSuicide

Evolution? Do you guys actually believe in this bull****? It's a weak theory bundled together with random ideas including humans coming from monkeys, snakes losing legs, and birds having ancestors who were dinosaurs - absolutely nonsensical diabolical tripe!

The idea that organisms adapt over generations through a combination of random mutations and natural selection is 'nonsensical tripe'? Secondly no evolutionary biologist worth their salt would say that 'humans came from monkeys', merely that we share a common ancestor and current evidence suggests that many dinosaurs were feathered and warm blooded.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending