The Student Room Group

I’m freaking out plz help

Im going into yr 11 which is the year we do GCSEs
I was looking at the new 2023 grade boundaries and all the ones I’m doing seem to have shot up by around a minimum of 4 or 5 percent (in general) from the 2019 grade boundaries. I’m freaking out cuz even though I’m still a good student in general I’m rlly worried abt not getting enough 8s/9s.
Will the grade boundaries get lower for 2024?
Can some1 who has a decent level of experience in GCSE give me any advice
Reply 1
Original post by pkeray
I was looking at the new 2023 grade boundaries and all the ones I’m doing seem to have shot up by around a minimum of 4 or 5 percent (in general) from the 2019 grade boundaries. I’m freaking out cuz even though I’m still a good student in general I’m rlly worried abt not getting enough 8s/9s.

Grade boundaries are set AFTER the papers are marked so no-one knows what they will look like. You need to stop looking at them - more people got 9s this year than in 2019!
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
Grade boundaries are set AFTER the papers are marked so no-one knows what they will look like. You need to stop looking at them - more people got 9s this year than in 2019!

Thanks
Reply 3
Original post by pkeray

A few things to note here:
- Your Grade Do Not Define You! Do not be disappointed in yourself as long as tried your best (I know it’s hard, but if you’ve done your best you should be proud of yourself!)
- For most schools, a 7 is the required grade to do an a level in the same subject and once you’ve moved onto A Level, GCSEs don’t really matter anymore!
- Good Luck, You’ve Got This!!
[Edit : I removed a sentence that was causing a disagreement]
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by 16hdennis
A few things to note here:
- Your Grade Do Not Define You! Do not be disappointed in yourself as long as tried your best (I know it’s hard, but if you’ve done your best you should be proud of yourself!)
- The Government RUINED grade boundaries this year and will hopefully have learnt their lesson by next year
- For most schools, a 7 is the required grade to do an a level in the same subject and once you’ve moved onto A Level, GCSEs don’t really matter anymore!
- Good Luck, You’ve Got This!!

Don't post nonsense - more top grades were awarded than in 2019. Many school had fantastic results

Exam boards decide grade boundaries it has NOTHING to do with the Government.
Reply 5
the grade boundaries relate to the difficulty of the paper - i did my gcses this year, i'd say the 2023 exam papers were slightly easier than previous past papers overall, explaining the increase in grade boundaries. but throughout the year when i was revising i went by 2019 grade boundaries and ended up with all 8s and 9s so i'd say that they are a pretty good indicator of where you are, so don't worry, just using 2019 grade boundaries as your guide. at the end of the day grade boundaries change from year to year and it's not like you can predict 2024's so don't worry about them
Reply 6
Don't post nonsense - more top grades were awarded than in 2019. Many school had fantastic results

Exam boards decide grade boundaries it has NOTHING to do with the Government.

I’m not sure about GCSEs, but A Level grades dropped dramatically and so many people missed out on their top choices on universities. There’s been plenty on the news about it. The government started a plan to bring grades back to pre-pandemic levels, despite these years still having been dramatically affected by COVID. I admit I may be wrong when it comes to GCSEs, but I know for certain that what the government did for A Levels was not fair at all. I witnessed it all first hand and my school had to send out notices to their year 11 students saying students across our area should be prepared to receive lower grades than they were expecting.
I’m really sorry if I made it sound worse for GCSE students that’s it was, I was just basing this of the knowledge from all the people I have seen impacted by the decisions made this year, that we weren’t warned of before exams season has ended.

[edit was just fixing a typo]
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 7
I’m not sure about GCSEs, but A Level grades dropped dramatically and so many people missed out on their top choices on universities. There’s been plenty on the news about it. The government started a plan to bring grades back to pre-pandemic levels, despite these years still having been dramatically affected by COVID. I admit I may be wrong when it comes to GCSEs, but I know for certain that what the government did for A Levels was not fair at all. I witnessed it all first hand and my school had to send out notices to their year 11 students saying students across our area should be prepared to receive lower grades than they were expecting.
I’m really sorry if I made it sound worse for GCSE students that’s it was, I was just basing this of the knowledge from all the people I have seen impacted by the decisions made this year, that we weren’t warned of before exams season has ended.

[edit was just fixing a typo]

A levels were dealt with fairly - more people got into uni than ever before. More top grades than 2019 as well. All the adjustments were announced last October so I've no idea why you did not know - there were many threads on it explaining. Your A levels were not impacted by covid - we did not lose one day of teaching.

It's NOTHING to do with the Government
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 8
A levels were dealt with fairly - more people got into uni than ever before. More top grades than 2019 as well. All the adjustments were announced last October so I've no idea why you did not know - there were many threads on it explaining. Your A levels were not impacted by covid - we did not lose one day of teaching.

It's NOTHING to do with the Government

I lost more than two months of teaching during year 12 due to covid and these were the first exams my year had sat due to missing our GCSEs. I know hundreds of a Levels students and so many of them are angry with the way things were dealt with.

I accept I may have said things about this years GCSEs without knowing the whole truth and I am sorry for that (I will delete that sentence form my original reply), but the A Levels this year were definitely impacted and so many students and teachers agree.

I wasn’t properly told by my college about the changes and admit there were other ways I could’ve found out about it, but I still don’t think It would have been fair even if had known.

I appreciate you informing me on some of the statistics that I wasn’t of aware of and I am going to look into it further myself, so I can get a better understanding. However I don’t think a thread where someone needs encouragement is the place to argue with me when I was trying to offer this person, who is sitting their gcses NEXT year, some help. It certainly isn’t going to benefit them.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 9
I lost more than two months of teaching during year 12 due to covid and these were the first exams my year had sat due to missing our GCSEs. I know hundreds of a Levels students and so many of them are angry with the way things were dealt with.

I accept I may have said things about this years GCSEs without knowing the whole truth and I am sorry for that (I will delete that sentence form my original reply), but the A Levels this year were definitely impacted and so many students and teachers agree.

I wasn’t properly told by my college about the changes and admit there were other ways I could’ve found out about it, but I still don’t think It would have been fair even if had known.

I appreciate you informing me on some of the statistics that I wasn’t of aware of and I am going to look into it further myself, so I can get a better understanding. However I don’t think a thread where someone needs encouragement is the place to argue with me when I was trying to offer this person, who is sitting their gcses NEXT year, some help. It certainly isn’t going to benefit them.

Didn't you sit KS2 Tests? Most students lost no teaching time at alll - our results were better than 2019. I know hundreds who did well .. as I said look at the data - it does not agree with what you are posting.

Quick Reply

Latest