The Student Room Group

Lucid Dreaming?

Hello everyone..
Recently I have been reading about lucid dreaming a lot and it has really
sparked an interest in me to start practising it. For those of you who don't
know what lucid dreaming is: basically it's dreaming while you're aware that you're dreaming..

Having said this you my ask, what would be this point of this 'lucid dreaming'?
Well often when you start remembering your dreams, and being aware whilst dreaming them you can learn more about your self and start analysing what happens in the dreams. Eventually with practise you can learn to control them and what happens in them, thus giving you an action to a whole other world with fewer boundaries. With practise you can pursue or do almost anything you can dream of, such as flying etc. You can also use lucid dreaming and dream control to solve problems while you sleep (and still get good valuable sleep) or to practise speeches, or try things out (eg. asking a girl out and see how they react). It may sound silly but we only use a minor percentile of our brain - but you'd be surprised how accurately your brain can 'simulate' another persons character and recreate events accurately.

I once recall me speaking chinese in a dream (i took chinese last semester). Although I suprised myself because I used words that I had heard/learnt only once or twice but otherwise in waking life had already forgotten - this just shows how much more is hidden in that brian of ours.

Anyway I just wanted to know what everyone's opinions on lucid dreaming are and if anyone has practised it or has had experiences with it?

If you wish to kno more about the procedure visit http://www.dreamviews.com

:tsr2:

Scroll to see replies

I always wake up seconds after realising im in a dream
Reply 2
Peart
I always wake up seconds after realising im in a dream

Im glad to see that my thread has provoked numerous enthousiastic responses and that all the users put in excessive effort to make this all a grand success. I would like to thank all my fellow TSR peers and those who sacrificed blood sweat and tears to bring this thread to what it is today.
Reply 3
You're welcome
I find lucid dreaming an interesting topic too! Sometimes like Peart i do wake up after realising im dreaming but other times i can carry on and do what i want to. There was one time when i was dreaming that i was at a prom and i asked the guy i liked to dance with me because i knew that i was dreaming. In reality i would never have the guts to do this.

Lol is this reply what you call putting in excessive effort??? :smile:
Reply 5
Wow! Thank you! You replied! unlike the other choots that probably read the forum and left :biggrin: thats really cool, have you got any tips? i was thinking of keeping a drema journal at some stage, and perhaps getting myself into the mind set of trying to remember them!
dutch_stud
Wow! Thank you! You replied! unlike the other choots that probably read the forum and left :biggrin: thats really cool, have you got any tips? i was thinking of keeping a drema journal at some stage, and perhaps getting myself into the mind set of trying to remember them!

Calm please. It's only been an hour since the thread was opened, and yet again it's not really a health of relationships topic, so of course people are going to ignore it. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I did once try to get into a state of lucid dreaming but didn't manage and got a bit bored. :p: Any tips?
hmm, i dont really have any tips, it just randomly happens to me but i'll try:
1.Dream diary might be helpful
2. Think about what you want to dream about just before you go to sleep
3. As soon as you wake up from a dream, try to recall as much as you can from it

Does that help?
Reply 8
we only use a minor percentile of our brain

This is one of those urban myths that has absolutely no factual basis.
Reply 9
Hmm i dont know about that, there are certain people on the world that train to use more of their brain and these individuals can learn a language in a week or read a book and quote from any page u ask them to. There is a larger differences between these guys and normal people, than between apes and normal people..

I think there is a lot of the brain we dont use, or take for granted - as can be shown already by the chinese dream i explained about earlier
Reply 10
I read that whole website i gave and its quite helpful, have a read if oyu are interested, but iw as just curious about other peoples experiences etc.
Reply 11
Two films have particularly inspired be, them being:

the jacket
and
waking life
Reply 12
i discovered this topic a couple of years back, and did a gcse english talk on it (the best i had ever done since everyone was so interested). i was reading so much about it that i actually had one. but as someone said, i got so excited, i woke up. i think having the topic on your mind etc, and thinking about it before you go to sleep helps.

also sometimes i get interesting dreams when i so tired that i fall asleep in the day but keep getting woken up by annoying mother:frown:. but in this situation i can go back to sleep and continue the dream. i try before falling asleep again to remember im about to dream and try and make it lucid but it never works.

dreams are almost completely made up of events or thoughts from the past few days, so that is a good indication you are dreaming. also if something weird happens. i will try and lucid dream when i go to uni and have a chance to write a dream diary or something.

ps. is this reply long enough....
Reply 13
lucas05
i discovered this topic a couple of years back, and did a gcse english talk on it (the best i had ever done since everyone was so interested). i was reading so much about it that i actually had one. but as someone said, i got so excited, i woke up. i think having the topic on your mind etc, and thinking about it before you go to sleep helps.

also sometimes i get interesting dreams when i so tired that i fall asleep in the day but keep getting woken up by annoying mother:frown:. but in this situation i can go back to sleep and continue the dream. i try before falling asleep again to remember im about to dream and try and make it lucid but it never works.

dreams are almost completely made up of events or thoughts from the past few days, so that is a good indication you are dreaming. also if something weird happens. i will try and lucid dream when i go to uni and have a chance to write a dream diary or something.

ps. is this reply long enough....

Wow more people are aware of this whole lucid dreaming thing than I thought.. I read that there are usually several cues in the dreams eg. light swtiches dont work, you see yourself blurry in a mirror, time changes drastically on the clocl and things like that. I had a dream the other day where i became lucid, i was at a camera store trying a differnet lense, and the lense didnt work.. well it twisted and all but the zoom didnt change, thats when it clicked, but all of a sudden the store closed, and i was left outside with my friends then i woke up.. pretty interestingly weird.
A few days ago i also had the abilitiy to jump about 20 meters high but i could never go higher than that, and thbe more i tried the less high i could jump. Felt amazing tho.. another one about 2 weeks back - i was sky diving and jumped out of hte plane and then flew straight back up back into the plane! wicked ****
Reply 14
When I was little I've experienced it.. I managed to make myself dream about things I wanted to dream of.. like flying etc. I didn't tell anyone, except my sister about that experience, but she didn't believe me.. so I thought maybe I was just wrong... But now I can see it was a truly reasonable thing. Maybe I should try and practice over that.
dutch_stud
Two films have particularly inspired be, them being:

the jacket
and
waking life

Watch 'Open Your Eyes' (Abre los ojos).

The website you provided looks and feels exactly like the film.
I'm going to have to give this a go.
Reply 16
George_Insull
Watch 'Open Your Eyes' (Abre los ojos).

The website you provided looks and feels exactly like the film.
I'm going to have to give this a go.

ah wicked, ill have a look for it now, rip a lil torrent somewhere :biggrin:
Im gonna have a look, hopefully it opens my eyes teehee
let me know how it goes, i think this TSR plcae should open a dream forum! :eek:
maybe it has one already and im too friggin blind or lazy 2 look :rolleyes:
dutch_stud
Im glad to see that my thread has provoked numerous enthousiastic responses and that all the users put in excessive effort to make this all a grand success. I would like to thank all my fellow TSR peers and those who sacrificed blood sweat and tears to bring this thread to what it is today.

You asked if anyone had any experiences with it, and I responded, you y'know... shut up.
Reply 18
Peart
You asked if anyone had any experiences with it, and I responded, you y'know... shut up.

I do appreciate your repsonse and it wasnt particularly aimed at you but more at the general population on this forum... anyway it was slightly absurd that that giant fish of yours is 10x the size of what ur wrote :smile::biggrin:
Reply 19
Yeah, I just started a dream journal today. Hopefully it'll help me in having a lucid dream.

Latest

Trending

Trending