The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I used to lucid dream when I was younger, but then when I stopped remembering my dreams at about 10 or 11, stopped being able to. I used to be able to realise when I was having a nightmare and was able to wake myself up by blinking loads...and if that failed I'd just face my fears knowing that I'd wake up before anything bad could happen.

Also I used to have a recurring dream/nightmare where I would fall down the stairs during the night whilst going to get a glass of water. I would always wake up when I hit the bottom. Then one day when I was at the top of the stairs I realised I was dreaming and decided to jump to avoid suddenly falling, and the best thing was it was fun! Soon I was doing somersaults in the air and stuff and once I didn't wake up when I hit the bottom and continued to dream…weird but fun...:smile:

The strange thing is that I only thought about it recently, when a few days ago my sister and I were talking about dreams and I ended up looking up dream control on the internet and found the same site you did. Now I'm going to try to start lucid dreaming again as it's actually quite fun (I've had the odd lucid dream since, but they’re really rare so I thought I’d give the techniques on the site a try.) The main problem is being bothered to actually write about dreams you’ve had as soon as you wake up so you can remember them, I’m soo lazy but only remember a handful of dreams otherwise.

I haven't seen the Jacket, but I saw Waking Life a while back and thought it was pretty cool :smile:
Reply 21
July_Dragon
I used to lucid dream when I was younger, but then when I stopped remembering my dreams at about 10 or 11, stopped being able to. I used to be able to realise when I was having a nightmare and was able to wake myself up by blinking loads...and if that failed I'd just face my fears knowing that I'd wake up before anything bad could happen.

Also I used to have a recurring dream/nightmare where I would fall down the stairs during the night whilst going to get a glass of water. I would always wake up when I hit the bottom. Then one day when I was at the top of the stairs I realised I was dreaming and decided to jump to avoid suddenly falling, and the best thing was it was fun! Soon I was doing somersaults in the air and stuff and once I didn't wake up when I hit the bottom and continued to dream…weird but fun...:smile:

The strange thing is that I only thought about it recently, when a few days ago my sister and I were talking about dreams and I ended up looking up dream control on the internet and found the same site you did. Now I'm going to try to start lucid dreaming again as it's actually quite fun (I've had the odd lucid dream since, but they’re really rare so I thought I’d give the techniques on the site a try.) The main problem is being bothered to actually write about dreams you’ve had as soon as you wake up so you can remember them, I’m soo lazy but only remember a handful of dreams otherwise.

I haven't seen the Jacket, but I saw Waking Life a while back and thought it was pretty cool :smile:

That sounds really amazing! Let us know how it goes when you get back into it, im going to keep a dream journal as soon as I omve into my new house and get settled in, so all the surroundings are consistent and i get into a consisten pattern :smile: Thanks for your reply
It does not happen often but when it does, its top! Last week i was lucid dreaming, there was a very fit woman and she was doing interesting things to me(lol), then my stupid phone went and woke me up.

Sometimes i wake up thinking 'was that real?'. I once heard it can be dangerous? like the topic tho!
Reply 23
milesmartin
It does not happen often but when it does, its top! Last week i was lucid dreaming, there was a very fit woman and she was doing interesting things to me(lol), then my stupid phone went and woke me up.

Sometimes i wake up thinking 'was that real?'. I once heard it can be dangerous? like the topic tho!

It is interesting that you say that because in essence there is hardly a difference between dreaming in waking life. While dreaming our mind is perceiving certain information just as our brain does during waking life. We see things and we hear things and we feel things and we have a sense of conciousness of some sort. The only difference thus between waking life and dreaming is that there are no nerves triggering these perceptions in the brain eg. if u touch a wall there is no nerve triggering through ur arm to your brain -but the perception part in the brain is still very much taking place.

Yet in a dream we touch a wall (or we think we do) and we feel it but we are not actually touching it. That may cause us to look, in more detail, the differences betrween dreaming and waking life.. when we are awake and touch a wall - do we touch something that is objectively there or do we just think we do?
Reply 24
One can provoke more lucid dreams by attaining a mentality that involves question yourself constantly whether you are dreaming or not... so you start asking yourself, even in waking life - am I dreaming? Once you ask yourself enough you will start asking it in your dreams.. and become lucid once you do and realise that you are dreaming..

But what if we think too much and question too much to the point where we can no longer tell the difference?
Reply 25
dutch_stud
But what if we think too much and question too much to the point where we can no longer tell the difference?

You will realise the truth- there is no spoon.
I actually had a lucid dream last night - my first one actually. Usually I just go into a state called hypnogogia (where you fall asleep while still fully conscious), but last night it was different because I actually started to have a proper dream.

Basically, I was in a car with my dad and a colleague from work at night. I drove into an underground car park which, for some reason, had perspex walls. I pulled into a space between a wall and a blue Porsche 928, but my car didn't stop in time and the corner of the bumper smashed a hole in the perspex.

It was at this point that I realised that I was in a dream. I got out of the car to inspect the damage when two men walked up. One of them looked just like another colleague, wearing a yellow sleeveless shirt and jeans, while the other guy had floppy brown hair and had a green t-shirt tucked into jeans with a belt. He was carrying a thick piece of chain.

The one who looked like my colleague started talking to me, and although I forget what he said, I remember that he said the word 'elucidate' and that the general gist of his words was 'We own this car park and you've damaged it - pay up or we'll beat the crap out of you.'

I remember feeling really scared and paying the money, at which point yellow-shirt laughed in my face and said 'You didn't really crash the car - my mate here pushed it into the wall. Thanks for the money - we're going to kill you anyway.' The next few seconds were vague, but I remember suddenly having a big cardboard box in my hands and battering yellow-shirt over the head with it. Then things started to happen in slow motion, like I was underwater, and all the sounds were muted. The dream faded to black, began to fade back in again, and then I woke up.

My girlfriend said that my heart had been beating really fast, which I guess was when I got scared in the dream. I'm surprised and happy my body didn't hit out at things while I was dreaming though!
Reply 27
doublex
You will realise the truth- there is no spoon.

lmao good reference :p:
Reply 28
Will
I actually had a lucid dream last night - my first one actually. Usually I just go into a state ............. I'm surprised and happy my body didn't hit out at things while I was dreaming though!

Wow that sounds like quite the dream.. yoou should keep a dream journal! might be nice to look back at an analyse when you are 85 and have grandkids :p:
Reply 29
do you guys go back in time (repeat events) when you dream? e.g. something bad happens, you realise your dreaming, then try and rewind the dream. I never wake up due to a nightmare as i constantly rewind the dream again, the dream plays out the same several times untill i manage to change it, lol. I dont know what this is, if its normal or if it has any relevence, lol. I always have mad dreams and remember them when i get up.
Yeah usually towards the end of my dream when Im about to wake up I start being aware Im dreaming and start chaning the dream around so that it ends like I want it to end :biggrin:

Oh and :trs: ! Tsr 4 lyf and after lyf

And ffs Derek stop posting! :rolleyes:
Reply 31
(edited 10 years ago)
Last night I managed to control my dream so I was flying, it was amazing. I was aware of starting to wake up from a fairly epic adventure dream, and as i started surfacing I was running away from something, then I made my dreaming self think about being a bird etc, it was fantastic, i thought I was actually doing it, but knew i wasnt, was rather bizarre.
When i'm in my fallin in and out of being awake phase in the morning and i decide to stay in my bed rather than get up i always have loads of dreams and i'm in complete control of a lot of them. Tis great.
mikey! :eek:

Yeah I do the same :biggrin:
Reply 35
I got into lucid dreaming a couple of years ago and started the training process. It came with surprising ease actually. I didn't bother with the journal, just because i know i could never do it. But i did manage to get myself to wake up after every dream i had finished. I woke up straight after and remembered it. It makes you realise how many dream you actually do have. And then twice later on, i had dreams in which i stopped and looked at the person i was following (in one of them) and said 'this is a dream...it's not reak, this is a dream!' and i tried to tell them, but they ignored me, and just looked at me, and then said come on! and made me follow them, i just decided, what the hey, lets follow them. It was really weird being in a dream and knowing i am. The same happened in another dream. But to be honest, after that i just didn't have the energy to bother to continue with it. You have to do it EVERY night and sometimes i just wanted to fall into bed...so hey. But i might give it a go again soon :smile:
I love it when you know you're dreaming because you can manipulate it. I had a really good dream the other day, that was going well anyway, but after I realised I was dreaming I had a little more control over the events.
wow this sounds really interesting. Ive enjoyed reading this thread and am gonna start trying it, thanks :smile:
~ck~
I'd like to lucid dream... But I've got one major problem with it. When I'm trying to recall dreams.

I don't know... it seems as if I'm in a very deep sleep when I'm sleeping, I've been a late to school a couple of times because I couldn't hear the alarm go off.

Can anyone comfirm this please? Are we in a more deep state when we're concentrating on dreaming and recalling em.
Reply 39
well from what i've read, we tend to dream when we are in stage 5 of our sleep. REM. Rapid eye movement, roughly 90 minutes from falling asleep, but each sleep cycle is 100 minutes long, so we vividly dream for about ten minutes to begin with. But the more we sleep, stages 4 and 3 waver and so our dream stage increases the longer we sleep. We can dream at other times, but the most vivid are then

Latest

Trending

Trending