The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

dutch_stud
It is interesting that you say that because in essence there is hardly a difference between dreaming in waking life. While dreaming our mind is perceiving certain information just as our brain does during waking life. We see things and we hear things and we feel things and we have a sense of conciousness of some sort. The only difference thus between waking life and dreaming is that there are no nerves triggering these perceptions in the brain eg. if u touch a wall there is no nerve triggering through ur arm to your brain -but the perception part in the brain is still very much taking place.

Yet in a dream we touch a wall (or we think we do) and we feel it but we are not actually touching it. That may cause us to look, in more detail, the differences betrween dreaming and waking life.. when we are awake and touch a wall - do we touch something that is objectively there or do we just think we do?

Its a part of the brain that guides our perception of being awake or not, isn't it?
The Thalamus or something?
Reply 61
frank_drebin
When you find out how that works, will you please tell me?

Before or after I've made my millions? :wink:
Princess Ana

I've also experienced sleep paralysis and hypnopompic hallucinations -

Be careful what you wish for :smile:

I've never had paralysis but god hallucinations are terrifying. I had one about 4 years ago and it still scares me to think about it. I woke up, knew I was awake but I was still seeing my nightmare. [which happened to be a shadowed man standing in the corner of my room]

I did dream last night though that I was flying a jet and it was so much fun. :biggrin:

I don't know if any other lucid dreamers feel this way, but I never feel like I get a proper nights sleep.
Reply 63
BlackHawk
I never feel like I get a proper nights sleep.

:ditto:
Reply 64
I was once being chased in a dream by a tall hooded man when i realised, whilst being chased, that this must be a dream. I was so scared within my dream that i at once tried to blink, and instantaneously snapped back to reality. That was scary, I remembered all the details within that dream. It seemed as if i was conscious within my unconsciousness..
Princess Ana

Before or after I've made my millions?

Preferably before as you'll probably patent the idea after :biggrin:
Reply 66
i had a dream where i was a fish, a punky fish. hence the nickname :wink:

it was a cool dream though, i was in a band called the clams, and we went to play at the reef, and we stoped by at coral (the betting shop) on the way. crazy
Reply 67
I've also had lucid dreams for years and years. They happen at least once a week. I used to think they were amazing and I tried out so many stupid things (like walking through a giant pile of jelly to see if I'd suffocate). But now I wish I could stop them. My dreams when I'm not completely in control of them are far more interesting. When I'm forcing myself to think things up, it's not all that impressive. I'd prefer all of my dreams to be unpredictable.
Reply 68
I've done that for years... I can control what I'm dreaming and I can remember it all afterwards. I dream the same thing night after night and I alter it bit by bit... if something didn't come out the way I wanted it to the night before I try to correct it the night after that. It's hard to explain. It's kind of like writing a story in your sleep... You know that you're asleep and dremaing but at the same time you know that you can make anything happen so that's what you do... or well, that's what I do.

All have to do is think of something and it happens. Like I said, I feel that it's like writing a story. You make something happen, kinda putting it down on paper and then the next night you "read it through" but decides to change one part since it didn't come out right... When I'm happy with what I've got so far I move on, making the next part happen...

Since I remember my dreams afterwards I already know what I'm going to be dreaming about when I'm about to go to sleep, unless I choose to lay it aside of course. I get tired though (yes I get tired while sleeping) and sometimes have to, in my sleep while dreaming, put the whole thing aside.

I've never really thought about what I do before and doing so now I realize that I'm really weird.... :s-smilie:
punky_fish
i had a dream where i was a fish, a punky fish. hence the nickname :wink:

it was a cool dream though, i was in a band called the clams, and we went to play at the reef, and we stoped by at coral (the betting shop) on the way. crazy

Watch Shark Tale much? :wink:
Princess Ana
:ditto:

How do you wake yourself up?

I either do the cliche of pinching myself, or sightly weirder I force my eyelids open with my fingers.
Reply 71
BlackHawk
How do you wake yourself up?

I either do the cliche of pinching myself, or sightly weirder I force my eyelids open with my fingers.

I push myself up, and sort of "swim" up and out of the dream.

I find that if I pinch myself in dreams, I just dream I'm pinching myself. Nothing more exciting ever happens :biggrin:
heh that's different :biggrin:

When I was little I used to let the nightmare happen in order to wake up. So if I was being chased I'd let myself be caught. Glad I know a better way now. :wink:

I take it you don't have many nightmares either? My last one was about 3 years ago.
Reply 73
BlackHawk
heh that's different :biggrin:

When I was little I used to let the nightmare happen in order to wake up. So if I was being chased I'd let myself be caught. Glad I know a better way now. :wink:

I take it you don't have many nightmares either? My last one was about 3 years ago.

No, I don't - I had one over my A-level results, and that was my first and last in many many years.
I've actually come to really hate lucid dreaming. It has it's good points but I can't stop myself from doing it so I can't just sleep.

Latest

Trending

Trending