The Student Room Group

TSR Publicity aimed at parents - good or bad?

I have just overlooked a small quote in a magazine released today, done (I believe) without any official sponsership, so it's all good :smile:

Although the magazine is aimed at 'pushy' parents who want their children to get into Oxbridge, and recommend our site as a good resource, and therefore it will be mostly parents that join, what do you think? Do you think parents should use resources like this to push on their children, or just let their children do what they want?

(Oh, the magazine was an insert in the Mail on Sunday which my parents read: You magazine.)
Reply 1
If people think the idea of this website is to get people into Oxbridge I think they have completely the wrong end of the stick. Yes, there is some career advice, but for me TSR is about the atmosphere, the conversation with like minded people, and tips on how to get by in life as we move into new things. And if parents start coming on here I don't think they will be received well at all.
Reply 2
I've only been on here for a couple of months but only a tiiiny part of TSR has to do with Uni's etc.

It's mostly for people to share their experiences/opinions and give advice to others.

Having parents on here would be really odd and with the whole age difference and different mindset, i seriously doubt it would ever work!
Reply 3
I can't really see why any parents would want to browse the majority of posts on TSR, and to be honest, I would have thought there'd be better resources a magazine could recommend for Oxbridge entry.

In response to your question, I'm completely against parents using any kind of resource to push their children into doing what they want. I think that is a completely out-dated idea, and parents should know better than to put more pressure on their children than they can deal with.
Reply 4
I don't see anything wrong with parents pressurising 18 year olds. They should be old enough to make decisions in spite of pressure by now. They will have to make controversial decisions all their lives if they want to get top managerial roles at work etc.

And if you are going to push, oxbridge is a good direction-as long as its not a wrong subject direction. Personally i will be kicking my sister well up the bum to get into oxbridge or goldsmiths (she's an arty farty type).
Reply 5
allymcb2
And if you are going to push, oxbridge is a good direction-as long as its not a wrong subject direction.

Oxbridge is not a good direction for everybody.
I believe that resources should be made avaliable for parents to be kept in the loop. They should have the same information that their children will have access to. Parents are (often) good people to go to for advice about university, I know my parents have been invaluable for helping keep me thinking clearly about my optins and the course of action I took. However, wanted advice is where it should end. By all means, a parent should pass this web address onto their child and reccommend it as a good source of "real-life" advice and information. But for a parent to know of this site, and for some reason deny their child knowledge of it, and then to selectively present information in an attempt to push their child one way or the other?

And this site does often present the "darker" side of uni. Would a pushy and uptight parent want to know about threads like "how often will I get laid at uni?" Such information in the hands of the wrong parent could be disasterous for the youths choices. I know enough children who have effectively broken away from slightly pushy parents about uni choices. It can cause major rifts.
Reply 7
Personally I'd rather keep my parents out of the loop on everything bar finance. I wish society would quit conspiring against me.
Reply 8
Personally I can't see how this site can give you much of an advantage regarding Oxbridge etc.

There's not much TSR can do to regulate it though.
I read that article and it was just a typical posh southern ponce whinging about not being able to get his son into Oxbridge.
Reply 10
gas_panic!
I read that article and it was just a typical posh southern ponce whinging about not being able to get his son into Oxbridge.

They publish stuff like that in the Daily Mail now. Whatever next?

Latest

Trending

Trending