The Student Room Group

Are my AS grades Oxbridge material?...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mike_123
Only Imperial is comparable

Only for general engineering, really. Oxfords not great if you want a more specific course
Hi, I wanted to do Civil Engineering in University. I don't do Physics as one of my A-Levels. Will I be rejected by universities? Do you suggest I do Physics on top? Thanks!
Original post by *Stefan*
15 days are seriously too few to complete the PS, unless you don't care about its quality!

It's your choice in the end, but you should really re-consider about Oxford. It's risky as it is with a perfect PS (irrespective of whether they care about it or not -another uni may care a lot and actually reject you on the basis of your PS alone!)

You can do a PS in a night. Yes you have to through the rigmaroles of lying nicely like in any employment interview. But in the end, everyone knows it's bull**** and they look at hard evidence of how worthy you are.

C in Chemistry doesn't look good at AS, especially if you got an A in Physics. But having said that, I don't think unis ask for how many marks you get out of 600? or has that changed.

In anycase, I think Oxbridge are looking for A* now since they were introduced?
Original post by chromesilver7
Hi, I wanted to do Civil Engineering in University. I don't do Physics as one of my A-Levels. Will I be rejected by universities? Do you suggest I do Physics on top? Thanks!

Well I hear Physics is pretty important for civil engineering and I saw it was subject requirements for a lot of unis I am applying to. However I am not 100% sure.
Original post by chromesilver7

you'd have to check requirements for the universities you're interested in applying for. when i was applying i think maths was the only subject requirement, however physics is a really useful subject to have studied for civil engineering. :smile: although if you're doing a-level maths, and you study mechanics that may make up for the lack of physics a level..
I am doing these subjects for my A-Levels: English Literature, Maths, Spanish and Art. I'm not doing mechanics as part of my maths course, I'm doing Statistics. Thanks for the help though!
Original post by colourtheory
I actually have a friend who wrote her PS with a hangover about 5 days before the deadline last year and she got an offer for Arch and Anth! It can be done but the OP needs to be quick, efficient and spend hours a day editing and thinking carefully about their language etc. I personally spent about 6 weeks on mine so they are cutting it short for sure! :smile:

LOL no way! I'm applying for Arch and Anth this year, hopefully I get an interview

Quick Reply

Latest