The Student Room Group

deleted

….
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by spliced
I take maths, psychology and geography. Initially I had the intention of applying for psych at Uni, but everytime I settle on it there’s always something that makes me reconsider it. I’ve been exploring my options, and law is something that has peaked my interest. I know Unis don’t require any specific subjects for law, but normally history or English is preferred. So would it still be possible for me to get into a top uni (eg Russell group) with my a level choices? My predicted is currently A*A*A*. And if I ended up not wanting to pursue law post grad, would I be more or less employable than if I graduated with a psych degree instead (in non vocational fields)?

I can partially answer this: no, it shouldn't matter which subjects you do. The essay subjects are preferred to demonstrate you are able to read the material (there would be a lot of material to go over), but it's not mandatory. I know of a law student who got into Oxbridge with science A Levels.
If anything, your personal statement and LNAT would be more important once you have the grades.

Having said that, if you intend to be a socilitor (not a barrister), then you can do so with a degree in any subject via the SQE. The PGDL is necessary if you want to be a barrister and you don't have an LLB (not just any law undergrad).
You could still go into psychology if you do a postgrad conversion course in case you did an LLB instead of an undergrad in psychology.

I can't comment on the employability aspect for either subjects.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by spliced
I take maths, psychology and geography. Initially I had the intention of applying for psych at Uni, but everytime I settle on it there’s always something that makes me reconsider it. I’ve been exploring my options, and law is something that has peaked my interest. I know Unis don’t require any specific subjects for law, but normally history or English is preferred. So would it still be possible for me to get into a top uni (eg Russell group) with my a level choices? My predicted is currently A*A*A*. And if I ended up not wanting to pursue law post grad, would I be more or less employable than if I graduated with a psych degree instead (in non vocational fields)?

Heya!
Law degrees don't need specific alvls so your alvls should be fine, especially with high predictions :h: If it helps, check out this free law application course for top unis!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Reply 3
There are no specific subject requirements for Law - you just need 3 high grades.
Many people find an essay-based subject useful for writing skills but is not essential.

Law is useful degree even if you dont pursue a Law career - you will find Law grads in a very wide range of careers that have nothing to do with Law, but do rely on analytical skills, ethical judgement, 'seeing the bigger picture' and general intellectual breadth and ability.

Go to some Uni Open Days in May/June and sign up for the Law subject presentation, and you will a) learn what a Law degree actually involves and b) what graduates go on to do afterwards.

Quick Reply

Latest