The Student Room Group

Are my AS grades Oxbridge material?...

For my AS grades last year I got AAAC, I got the C in Chemistry and A in Physics, Art and Maths. I dropped chem for Y13 this year, but my A in Maths and Physics are low A's and Art is a mid A. I mean I haven't even started by personal statement and want to apply for Oxford but Oct 15th is around the corner. Would applying for Oxford just be a joke and take up space from a more likely offer as they probably wouldn't take me up. I want to engineering and possibly civil engineering specifically.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by leroythelost
For my AS grades last year I got AAAC, I got the C in Chemistry and A in Physics, Art and Maths. I dropped chem for Y13 this year, but my A in Maths and Physics are low A's and Art is a mid A. I mean I haven't even started by personal statement and want to apply for Oxford but Oct 15th is around the corner. Would applying for Oxford just be a joke and take up space from a more likely offer as they probably wouldn't take me up. I want to engineering and possibly civil engineering specifically.

If we were discussing this in August, I'd say give it a go. However, given that the deadline is in 2 weeks and you've not even started your PS, I wouldn't bother, you've left it too late. Spend your time improving your application and maybe you can apply post-A2 if your results are really good.
Reply 2
15 days are seriously too few to complete the PS, unless you don't care about its quality!

It's your choice in the end, but you should really re-consider about Oxford. It's risky as it is with a perfect PS (irrespective of whether they care about it or not -another uni may care a lot and actually reject you on the basis of your PS alone!)
Yeah I wouldn't either. The applications for oxbridge are supposed to be about finished by now tbh
For engineering other unis are better anyway.
But yay for civil engineering I'm doing it too :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Chlorophile
If we were discussing this in August, I'd say give it a go. However, given that the deadline is in 2 weeks and you've not even started your PS, I wouldn't bother, you've left it too late. Spend your time improving your application and maybe you can apply post-A2 if your results are really good.

But whether your results are brilliant or not, oxbridge,lse,imperial,ucl,warwick dont do adjustments right? So can you still have a chance to get in if you achieve the grades or better the requirements but werent predicted these and/or werent made a conditional?
Original post by Rkai01
But whether your results are brilliant or not, oxbridge,lse,imperial,ucl,warwick dont do adjustments right? So can you still have a chance to get in if you achieve the grades or better the requirements but werent predicted these and/or werent made a conditional?

When I say post-A2, I mean applying for 2016 entry. Those universities don't to adjustment (certainly not Oxbridge or Imperial).
Reply 6
With that C your average UMS (+ no FM to outweigh it) will almost definitely rule you out for Cambridge as I doubt your average UMS is high enough.

Get 3 or more A*s and apply on a gap year if you really want to.
Reply 7
When I say post-A2, I mean applying for 2016 entry. Those universities don't to adjustment (certainly not Oxbridge or Imperial).

So if your predictions arent in line with requirements is it better not to apply now and if results are entry healthy then apply on results day because you havent been rejected already.
Original post by Rkai01
So if your predictions arent in line with requirements is it better not to apply now and if results are entry healthy then apply on results day because you havent been rejected already.

For the most competitive courses, the standard offers they make are probably going to be relatively easy to achieve for most applicants. If you don't think you will easily achieve their standard offer, then no, it's probably not a good idea to apply.
Reply 9
For the most competitive courses, the standard offers they make are probably going to be relatively easy to achieve for most applicants. If you don't think you will easily achieve their standard offer, then no, it's probably not a good idea to apply.

Whats the worst if you do unrealistically apply? Can other unis become put off by this?
I do believe I will get the standards but the predictions arent overly friendly.
Original post by Rkai01
Whats the worst if you do unrealistically apply? Can other unis become put off by this?
I do believe I will get the standards but the predictions arent overly friendly.

No, other universities don't see your choices. You've got nothing to lose as such by applying to unrealistic universities, you're just reducing your choices. There's nothing wrong with applying to an ambitious choice and as I said, if this were earlier I would have suggested applying to Oxford just in case. But I don't think it's worth rushing your personal statement to get it in for the 15th deadline.
Original post by okcherubble88
Yeah I wouldn't either. The applications for oxbridge are supposed to be about finished by now tbh

Cool, what draws you to civil engineering, why do you want to do it?

I actually have a friend who wrote her PS with a hangover about 5 days before the deadline last year and she got an offer for Arch and Anth! It can be done but the OP needs to be quick, efficient and spend hours a day editing and thinking carefully about their language etc. I personally spent about 6 weeks on mine so they are cutting it short for sure! :smile:
Original post by leroythelost
Cool, what draws you to civil engineering, why do you want to do it?

Wanted to do it from year12... Mostly because of my dumb a level choices inc maths and physics (why god why) The most sensible choice at the time seemed to be engineering and after looking into it, found I really liked the look of the civil engineering industry :smile:
Original post by *Stefan*
15 days are seriously too few to complete the PS, unless you don't care about its quality!

It's your choice in the end, but you should really re-consider about Oxford. It's risky as it is with a perfect PS (irrespective of whether they care about it or not -another uni may care a lot and actually reject you on the basis of your PS alone!)

Is it though? TBH I think I wrote essentially the whole thing in 1-2 evenings, and then polished it for a week.
Reply 15
Original post by *Stefan*

I spent maybe 5 hours on my PS and got into Cambridge. Tbh 15 days is more than enough to do one.
Original post by okcherubble88

Only Imperial is comparable
Reply 17
Original post by Principia
Is it though? TBH I think I wrote essentially the whole thing in 1-2 evenings, and then polished it for a week.

Original post by alow
I spent maybe 5 hours on my PS and got into Cambridge. Tbh 15 days is more than enough to do one.

Didn't say it cannot be done, it's just that most of the times the quality will suffer. Only 5 hours for the whole PS? Including polishing? Sounds a bit extreme to me tbh!

Moreover, as I already mentioned, Oxford and Cambridge have said that a really bad PS on its own will not lead to a rejection. They only use it as the basis for interviews (and still not always). It may, however, matter a lot for other unis (LSE and Bristol coming to mind) and he *might* get rejected just because of his PS. In that case, he's risking not only Oxbridge due to the intense competition, but also his other choices that *may* disregard his PS.

He's free to do whatever he likes of course- I'm merely stating my opinion.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by colourtheory
I actually have a friend who wrote her PS with a hangover about 5 days before the deadline last year and she got an offer for Arch and Anth! It can be done but the OP needs to be quick, efficient and spend hours a day editing and thinking carefully about their language etc. I personally spent about 6 weeks on mine so they are cutting it short for sure! :smile:

That is definitely not a good idea though.
That is definitely not a good idea though.

Of course not but I was just trying to illustrate that if people are quick and efficient they can still get their application in for the 15th, although it might be a bit of a struggle to polish it off completely. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest