The Student Room Group

Jeremy Clarkson angers people (yet again)

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/oct/03/top-gear-argentina-jeremy-clarkson-bbc

"Jeremy Clarkson and the cast and crew of BBC2’s Top Gear are flying out of Argentina after protests from politicians and army veterans for using a car whose number plate apparently referred to the Falklands war.

The team used a Porsche with the registration number H982 FKL, which some people suggested could be seen to refer to the Falklands conflict which took place in 1982. The BBC has denied any intended reference, saying the car was bought by a member of the production team and was entirely coincidental".

Well I'm not actually sure it was done on purpose this time. You'd have thought with such a massive international audience they'd make sure things like number plates don't offend people.

Have Top Gear ever done a show in China?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

It's precisely this kind of attention that Clarkson craves. The best response to this (really trivial) issue is to just ignore it.
Original post by datpiff

Well I'm not actually sure it was done on purpose this time. You'd have thought with such a massive international audience they'd make sure things like number plates don't offend people.
Of course it was done on purpose. That second part is bull****, they go out of their way to offend people. But it's only the Argies so.....big deal.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by thunder_chunky
Of course it was done on purpose. That second part is bull****, they go out of their way to offend people. But it's only the Argies so.....big deal.

I think it was to poke fun, but they do it in so many other cases, most of all Germany. It's funny that some Argentine place allowed them to register this number plate though.
Lol, what a non-issue, as usual.
Original post by Snagprophet
I think it was to poke fun, but they do it in so many other cases, most of all Germany. It's funny that some Argentine place allowed them to register this number plate though.

Maybe they didn't get the reference when the number plates were registered.
They do poke fun and take liberties, but the Argies are serious about this topic even 32 years on. Tough **** for them though.
Reply 6
Original post by Viva Emptiness
Lol, what a non-issue, as usual.

It's quite refreshing to talk about something else other than 'dose damn moosealems'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by datpiff
It's quite refreshing to talk about something else other than 'dose damn moosealems'

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can't argue with that.
You can't actually buy number plates with that font anymore, I'm actually inclined to believe the car just happened to have that registration.

Whether the production team actively looked for a car with that number plate is another matter.
Original post by Chlorophile
It's precisely this kind of attention that Clarkson craves. The best response to this (really trivial) issue is to just ignore it.

Exactly. He can't even get it in an original way though. So many BBC cronies are so tired now. This could genuinely stoke the argies up again over this issue. What an idiot.
Original post by datpiff
http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/oct/03/top-gear-argentina-jeremy-clarkson-bbc

"Jeremy Clarkson and the cast and crew of BBC2’s Top Gear are flying out of Argentina after protests from politicians and army veterans for using a car whose number plate apparently referred to the Falklands war.

The team used a Porsche with the registration number H982 FKL, which some people suggested could be seen to refer to the Falklands conflict which took place in 1982. The BBC has denied any intended reference, saying the car was bought by a member of the production team and was entirely coincidental".

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought this was bull****, especially as the same thing got levelled at hammond and May. Hammond because his number plate had 269 on it and this was "close" to the number of british casualties in the falklands war (255) and May because his number plate has 646 in it and this number was close to the number of argentinian casualties 649.

This was the argentinian people deliberately finding something about the british to take offence with, and somehow to them this justified trying to stone them whilst they got petrol.

I get the top gear lot aren't that PC or culturally sensitive but they weren't at fault here this time. Especially as when the BBC denied it, the argentinian response was, "They said they didn't want to upset anyone but we know the british have lied for the last 200 years"
Pretty funny if it was intentional to be honest, particularly since the Argentine government (at least) still wants the islands.
Reply 12
**** of a man
People are so easily offended. It's exactly this sort of reaction that Clarkson looks for. He's a world class troll.
Reply 14
What a big hoohah about sod all. Good for them if it was on purpose. Good on them! The Argies need to grow a sense of humour. Remember also, they started that war and then they lost. Sore losers.
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
You can't actually buy number plates with that font anymore, I'm actually inclined to believe the car just happened to have that registration.

Whether the production team actively looked for a car with that number plate is another matter.

I've already ran this reg number through compare the market's car insurance quote machine and it correctly identifies the car.

Capture.JPG
Original post by Gwilym101
I thought this was bull****, especially as the same thing got levelled at hammond and May. Hammond because his number plate had 269 on it and this was "close" to the number of british casualties in the falklands war (255) and May because his number plate has 646 in it and this number was close to the number of argentinian casualties 649.

This was the argentinian people deliberately finding something about the british to take offence with, and somehow to them this justified trying to stone them whilst they got petrol.

I get the top gear lot aren't that PC or culturally sensitive but they weren't at fault here this time. Especially as when the BBC denied it, the argentinian response was, "They said they didn't want to upset anyone but we know the british have lied for the last 200 years"

This, Argentinians have to be the most over-sensitive bunch I have ever witnessed. Imperialistic buggers with a victim complex who can't even run a country without reneging on their debts and becoming an international pariah.

If they want to chase everyone else out let them, they can rot in their Patagonian hide-away until they implode on themselves.

Seriously, one of the most collectively irrational and childish people there is. Not to generalize to hard, not usually my style, I want to and will happily accept plenty of Argentinians are normal decent folk but **** me, their national group psyche is just pathetic.
Original post by datpiff

Yes. Couple of years ago they did an episode from there, commenting at length on the blatant and obvious copyright infringements that are rife in all aspects of Chinese manufacturing.

And not one comment was made by anybody in any newspaper.

Why do you ask? Some half arsed attempt to suggest that they wouldn't try to be funny or insult anyone with 'power', or were you just trying and failing to be clever?

The BBC won't do anything about them (and in this case, nor should they), the show is one of the most watched in the world and earns the corporation a huge amount of money.
(edited 9 years ago)
frankly speaking- I wouldn't be bothered if that old idiot Clarkson would finally got what he was asking for.
Clarkson's account is now in the Sunday Times. Anyone have a mirror for those who don't have a subscription?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending