The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Security

Just wondering what security is like in the colleges, particularly on the ground floor? Are there many break ins? Have people had any possessions stolen before? Is there anywhere in your room to store important items and documents (passport, credit/debit cards, money, etc.)... like a safe, or a lockable cupboard?

I'm covered insurance-wise, but just want to see how likely it is for my laptop to end up on eBay (I'm on the ground floor BTW)!

Ta! :tsr2:
Well you can lock your room. Also it might be worth shutting your curtains if you're leaving your laptop on display. I didn't hear about much like this - there's the odd incident, but it's not exactly widespread.
University of York
York
My former neighbour got his door kicked in (ground floor Derwent) and they stole a flat-screen monitor and mp3 player. He got the monitor back though.

The key thing I think was that the outside door wasn't locked properly, even though the room door was. Closing the curtains when you aren't in the room seems pretty wise. Also every room has a locking cupboard or drawer for sticking stuff in.
Reply 3
Secruity depends alot on your college, somewhere like Alcuin is more physically secure as it is newly built. However, you need to be aware that York is an open campus and people do go on it to nick - chavs from tang hall. The first day i was there someone broke into the bike sheds in Alcuin and stole all the new bikes. Get your stuff insured and dont assume that because you are at uni you are safe. Dont make yourself a target by being stupid and leaving windows or your door open. It only takes a second to pick up a laptop and leg it, you will be lucky to get it back as secruity services are not that good. Also, although its nice to think all students are honest - they are not, there may be nasty people about. Like anything just be careful.
Reply 4
dandan covered things really well there.

There was a rather amusing incident where apparently someone was claiming to be a student and was walking around James College asking people if he can spend the night in their room and trying to get into houses, and the description precisely matched one of my housemates.
Reply 5
I heard about that, pretty wierd, was sleeping on random peoples floors, why would you let someone do that?

Latest