The Student Room Group

Working at an aiport?

Does anyone here work at in international airport in the UK? I've been offered an office job at one but they said I need to go through security screening every time I go to work!

That seems rather excessive and if they don't trust their employees why should I? Surely that environment breeds distrust as it looks like the airport doesn't trust its employees?
Original post by GodAtum
Does anyone here work at in international airport in the UK? I've been offered an office job at one but they said I need to go through security screening every time I go to work!

That seems rather excessive and if they don't trust their employees why should I? Surely that environment breeds distrust as it looks like the airport doesn't trust its employees?

It may be a government requirement due to the sensitivities of the environment you're working in.
I know someone who used to work in duty-free at Heathrow. She had to go through security at the start of every shift. nothing wrong with them trying to minimize any danger.
You can blame both Al Qaeda and Tommy Yaxlob Robinson for that really, because of their violent excesses we just don't tolerate suicide bombers and drunken wifebeaters working in airports any more.

In seriousness, plenty of jobs where daily security checks are a thing, even in retail.
They can't afford to not trust their employees.
There is presumably some edict from the government detailing a level of care that must be taken, and I also doubt that airlines want to deal with a terror attack on their hands.
And from a financial angle, after 9/11 air travel took a massive hit which reduced profits for airlines. A similar occurrence would then likely take place with another attack with similar ill consequences for the industry.
Airports are one of the most obvious targets.
For sabotage, terrorist criminals and organised crime gangs involved with smuggling.
Enhanced precautions at the most popular international airports including security screening of airport staff, pilots and passengers are crucial tools to prevent crime & protect national security.

If the security restrictions are not compatible with your personality or lifestyle preferences, focus your job hunting on another work venue outside of the airline or travel industry.
One that has much less history of being targeted by smugglers or violent criminals.
Good luck!
Original post by GodAtum

Not excesive at all. I would be surprised if any employee going airside did not have the same security treatment as the rest of the passengers, especially when the security checks on employees are not exactly comprehensive security clearances.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Sabertooth
I know someone who used to work in duty-free at Heathrow. She had to go through security at the start of every shift. nothing wrong with them trying to minimize any danger.

Could u able to tell me which type of question they will ask on call interview the duty free

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending