The Student Room Group

Disabled people forced into workfare. Mandatory! Or lose Benefits.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/terminally-ill-face-being-forced-690027

So this is new news. Ian Duncan Smith of the Conservative Party is forcing people in the ESA WRAG group to do work experience other known as workfare or they will lose their benefits though sanctions.

Now let us be clear. The majority of the Left-wing on TSR warned people about this and the Right-wing Tory supporters denied it would ever happen.

Well it looks like the Tories cuts know no bounds.

So I say this to you all!

First they cut benefits for the Disabled, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not Disabled.

Then they cut benefits for Single Parents & Families, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Single Parent or didn't have any children.

Then they cut benefits for the Working Poor, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Working Poor person.

Then they cut all benefits, taxed me to oblivion and privatized the NHS.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well I think it goes without saying that such a policy would be abhorrent and downright cruel, but as far as I can see from the article there's nothing certain about the policy happening and I'd be surprised if it actually becomes a reality, the backlash would be huge and it wouldn't help their cause going into next year's election, to force the terminally ill to work would be just madness, even for the Tories.
Original post by Olie
Well I think it goes without saying that such a policy would be abhorrent and downright cruel, but as far as I can see from the article there's nothing certain about the policy happening and I'd be surprised if it actually becomes a reality, the backlash would be huge and it wouldn't help their cause going into next year's election, to force the terminally ill to work would be just madness, even for the Tories.

I wouldnt be so sure about that.

They might make a policy that doesn't allow people to vote under £35,000 wage bracket.
Reply 3
Original post by illegaltobepoor

They might make a policy that doesn't allow people to vote under £35,000 wage bracket.

I think it should be £100k :rolleyes:
They came for the rich,
And I did not speak out, because I was not rich.
Then they came for the middle-class.
But I did not speak out because I was not middle-class.
Then they came for the workers,
But I did not speak out because even though I was a worker I was much too afraid to stand up for my fellow workers.
Then they came for me, and there was no-one left to speak for me.
Original post by The Dictator
They came for the rich,
And I did not speak out, because I was not rich.
Then they came for the middle-class.
But I did not speak out because I was not middle-class.
Then they came for the workers,
But I did not speak out because even though I was a worker I was much too afraid to stand up for my fellow workers.
Then they came for me, and there was no-one left to speak for me.

What a stupid bastardisation of Martin Niemöller's classic poem. Who would come for the rich? Or even the middle class?
Reply 6
Original post by meenu89
I think it should be £100k :rolleyes:

£100k? Are you having a giggle?

Spoiler

Original post by theinquirer
What a stupid bastardisation of Martin Niemöller's classic poem. Who would come for the rich? Or even the middle class?

That's what I thought.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/terminally-ill-face-being-forced-690027

So this is new news. Ian Duncan Smith of the Conservative Party is forcing people in the ESA WRAG group to do work experience other known as workfare or they will lose their benefits though sanctions.

Now let us be clear. The majority of the Left-wing on TSR warned people about this and the Right-wing Tory supporters denied it would ever happen.

Well it looks like the Tories cuts know no bounds.

So I say this to you all!

First they cut benefits for the Disabled, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not Disabled.

Then they cut benefits for Single Parents & Families, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Single Parent or didn't have any children.

Then they cut benefits for the Working Poor, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Working Poor person.

Then they cut all benefits, taxed me to oblivion and privatized the NHS.

Sounds like a load of tosh OP. The government and everyone involved deny it, and the Mirror are the ones making the claim.
Original post by Arkasia
That's what I thought.

First of all, they came to take the gypsies
and I was happy because they pilfered.
Then they came to take the Jews and I said nothing,
because they were unpleasant to me.
Then they came to take homosexuals,
and I was relieved, because they were annoying me.
Then they came to take the Communists,
and I said nothing because I was not a Communist.
One day they came to take me,
and there was nobody left to protest.

Bertolt Brecht FTW.
Original post by Arkasia
£100k? Are you having a giggle?

Spoiler

That's what I thought.

Sounds like a load of tosh OP. The government and everyone involved deny it, and the Mirror are the ones making the claim.

Though if the poem was ironic, then I do agree that workers are hardly the ideal people to idealise, after all they are just as likely to be Daily Mail reading scum as anything else.
Reply 9
[QUOTE="theinquirer;50769791"]
Original post by Arkasia
That's what I thought.

First of all, they came to take the gypsies
and I was happy because they pilfered.
Then they came to take the Jews and I said nothing,
because they were unpleasant to me.
Then they came to take homosexuals,
and I was relieved, because they were annoying me.
Then they came to take the Communists,
and I said nothing because I was not a Communist.
One day they came to take me,
and there was nobody left to protest.

Bertolt Brecht FTW.

Never seen that one, I prefer the Niemoller original.
[QUOTE="Arkasia;50769867"]

Never seen that one, I prefer the Niemoller original.

It is intended to be ironic. Not as poetic as Niemoller's but has a sense of mischievousness as Brecht was brillant but also lied and cheated his way to success.

It is intended to be ironic. Not as poetic as Niemoller's but has a sense of mischievousness as Brecht was brillant but also lied and cheated his way to success.

Fair enough, I guessed as much.

Well that would violate human rights legislation. :rolleyes:
If disabled people are still capable of doing something profitable then why shouldn't they?

Then why is the dateline on the article February 18th 2012?
Reply 15

Er, the whole point of the Work Related Activity Group is that people are supposed to undertake actions to make themselves employable and re-enter the labour market. While they may have some barriers to employment, the whole point of this group is to break them down.

Ultimately if you're in the WRAG then you're assessed as capable of work-related activity. If there is something they cannot physically cope with reasonable adaptations will be made to a person's needs. That's obvious. That's exactly how WRAG can help people get into work that is suitable and appropriate to their needs.

Why you have any problem with this is beyond me. And why you're presenting something from February 2012 as news is also a question worth answering...
(edited 9 years ago)
Ideology is dangerous.

The government? Unless it's the rich controlling it. Which typically happens when the government contemplates destroying the rich.
Original post by L i b

Ultimately if you're in the WRAG then you're assessed as capable of work-related activity. If there is something they cannot physically cope with reasonable adaptations will be made to a person's needs. That's obvious. That's exactly how WRAG can help people get into work that is suitable and appropriate to their needs.

Although Illegal etc is spouting nonsense there is a flaw deep in the concept of the WRAG.

The legislation was drawn on the basis that the people in this group are people with conditions that will improve with time and treatment but who need assistance to get them into work.

However when the Regulations were written they were written in terms of more serious (Support Group) and less serious (WRAG) conditions regardless of prognosis.

The WRAG is therefore full of people with chronic and in many cases deteriorating conditions who will never be employable but whose conditions are less serious than those in the Support Group.
[QUOTE="theinquirer;50769589"]What a stupid bastardisation of Martin Niemöller's classic poem. Who would come for the rich? Or even the middle class?[/QUOTE

I don't know they did in the French Revolution. Surely if a disabled person is capable of working there is no reason for them not to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending