The Student Room Group

Enforced Maintenance Loan?

I'm an FdSc Counselling part time on UC. I'm on UC and my course is changing into the new BSc Counselling from September. I've been told ,to transfer onto the new course, I MUST stop my UC and take a maintenance Loan.Why??
Original post by Kizzykat077
I'm an FdSc Counselling part time on UC. I'm on UC and my course is changing into the new BSc Counselling from September. I've been told ,to transfer onto the new course, I MUST stop my UC and take a maintenance Loan.Why??

From the gov.uk website:

You may be able to get Universal Credit if you’re studying full-time and any of the following apply:

you’re aged 21 or under, in full-time non-advanced education and do not have parental support
you’re responsible for a child
you live with your partner and they’re eligible for Universal Credit
you’ve reached the qualifying age for Pension Credit and live with a partner who is under that age
you’re disabled, were assessed as having limited capability for work before starting your course and are getting:

Personal Independence Payment

Disability Living Allowance

Child Disability Payment in Scotland

Attendance Allowance

Armed Forces Independence Payment

You may also be able to get Universal Credit if you’re studying in full-time non-advanced education, you do not get a student loan or maintenance grant and you are available for work. If the course is more than 12 hours a week, this only applies from 1 September following your 19th birthday. This is because your parents can claim benefits for you before that date.

You may be asked to provide evidence of the course you are doing.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/universal-credit-and-students

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending