The Student Room Group

Should I take R.E GCSE ?

My School has introduced a new way of teaching R.E and the idea is that you have to attend all the lessons but can choose not to sit the GCSE exam itself.

I’m not sure how I feel about this - please advice me! If I pass, then it’ll be an extra GCSE. Also, attending a lesson each week and not doing the exam seems like a waste of time because I could be doing something else with that time, right?
I also feel like there are more important subjects (like the Sciences) that I should be focusing on.

Any advice please?
Original post by Aubrey Story
My School has introduced a new way of teaching R.E and the idea is that you have to attend all the lessons but can choose not to sit the GCSE exam itself.

I’m not sure how I feel about this - please advice me! If I pass, then it’ll be an extra GCSE. Also, attending a lesson each week and not doing the exam seems like a waste of time because I could be doing something else with that time, right?
I also feel like there are more important subjects (like the Sciences) that I should be focusing on.

Any advice please?

It will be because the teaching of RE at schools is mandated. It was at my daughter's school and I negotiated that she would attend the lessons but not take the GCSE. If she had taken it, that would have been 11 GCSEs in total. One extra GCSE will not make any difference to your future but it will impact on your revision workload. In the run-up to exams when the class focused on revision, my daughter went to another room to revise other subjects. If you don't intend to take RE further, then don't sit the GCSE.
Bro just do it. RE is a **** easy GCSE. You can basically get a good grade by writing your name on the front of the exam paper.
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
Bro just do it. RE is a **** easy GCSE. You can basically get a good grade by writing your name on the front of the exam paper.

That is just not true. Every GCSE requires work and revision.
It depends on if you think you can fit RE revision in with all your other revision. It's not true that RE is an "easy A" because all GCSE's take work. You might be more advantaged in it if you go to a Catholic school or are religious because some of the things will come naturally to you. I would say if you don't need it, don't do it. An extra GCSE doesn't really mean anything unless you are applying to oxbridge and even then it's better to have 10 really high grades that 11 good grades.

I did GCSE RS and ended up loving the subject! It was really surprising since I'm more of a science person. I did end up getting a high grade and taking it onto A level, but you can also enjoy the subject without taking the exam as well.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by normaw
That is just not true. Every GCSE requires work and revision.

As someone who has done a GCSE in RE and got a B I can assure you that this is untrue
Reply 6
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
As someone who has done a GCSE in RE and got a B I can assure you that this is untrue

I got an A* and did sod all work for it. But our exams were on the design of Catholic Churches and then one on the Catholic Sacraments, both things with which we had been bombarded since age 5. So yeah, easy enough.

I'm a qualified RS teacher and it's not a difficult examination usually. It's very much formulaic and you can be trained to pass well within a matter of weeks.
I was forced to take it at my school and as a result, I really did not enjoy it. It was rather easy for me though, and I've never got lower than an 8 on mocks. However, I am religious and have been brought up as a Christian, so I feel like this did help me with 50% of the course.

If you've found it easy in the past and enjoy it, I'd take it, but it's not worth taking if you're going to hate it
I mean schools are required to provide religious studies teaching anyway under the national curriculum as I understand it, so you'd have to go to lessons for it no matter what.

In this case it seems your school has decided to just not make the exam mandatory (even though the lessons are due to the national curriculum I think) so as to allow able students to take the exam but enable less able students to not take it. This is probably more for their benefit to improve their GCSE result statistics, but honestly probably also not a big deal for less able students to not take it and may help them focus more on core subjects they really do need to pass (maths and English language), so I don't think I'd begrudge them that.

That said I didn't get the impression it was particularly hard, I got a B with zero revision and we spent most lessons watching films (I did not go to a great school for my GCSEs :tongue: ). If you actually put in any real effort to revising for it I imagine you can get a pretty decent result?
(edited 1 year ago)
I might not be understanding the whole situation correctly but in my opinion, what have you got to lose? If you are going to attend all of the lessons anyway, then you may as well get a GCSE out of it! If you enjoy it, choose it, if you don’t, don’t! Good luck with whatever you choose!
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Aubrey Story

Any advice please?

i took re gcse as my school made me, however i have really enjoyed it and i'm taking philosophy and ethics for a level. however, some colleges don't require you to have re gcse to take religious studies/philosophy at a level, so if you don't like the look of the course, i wouldn't take the exam.

Quick Reply

Latest