The Student Room Group

Three A levels or four??

Is it better to do really well in three A Levels or should I continue with 4. Do universities like UCL look down on those just doing 3? I am coping with the 4 but think I could do better and be less stressed doing 3.
Universities would rather you have three high grades than four average ones, AAA is better than AABB etc etc etc

Drop the fourth A-level, take the other three to the highest grade you can.
Original post by Icesk8ing97
Is it better to do really well in three A Levels or should I continue with 4. Do universities like UCL look down on those just doing 3? I am coping with the 4 but think I could do better and be less stressed doing 3.

It's better to have 3 great A levels than 4 okay ones. If you do 4, then you'll get a conditional offer to suit that, but universities would probably rather you just do 3 - they won't pick someone else just because they're doing 4.
Do three
Exception would be of course Medicine. (Although only on the dropping one part, not on the getting lower grades part.)
Reply 5
Original post by Icesk8ing97

If you can fulfil both of these conditions, it is worth it to take four A levels:
1. You are considering applying for Cambridge or any university in the Republic of Ireland. I say Cambridge rather than Oxbridge because Cambridge places more weight on the academics and Oxford on the interview (of course, once the grades are up to a certain standard). From what I know from talking to students and admissions tutors at both unis, a fourth A level is a huge advantage for Cambridge but not really for Oxford.
The ROI use an exam system which involves broad study in the final year of school, so their points system rewards breadth in English qualifications too. BBBB scores higher than A*A*A*a.
2. You will not drop a vital grade by taking the fourth A level, or are willing to take that risk. I was intending to apply to Cambridge post A levels (long story why a PQA) and needed A*A*AA. I got A*A*AB, and the admissions office said it would be very unlikely they would take me with that, even though the typical offer only specifies A*A*A.

If everyone at your school usually takes four then you will have a harder problem explaining why you did three. But at most places it's an optional extra, so don't feel pressured to bolt it on. And apart from Cambridge and ROI most unis don't care, so you're better off trying to do really well in 3 than average in 4.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending