The Student Room Group

a level options

im in year 11 and need to pick my as levels next week
i want to do medicine and so will be picking maths , chemistry and biology.
So its either sociology or geography as my forth subject.
i got a 9 for gcse geography. ive never done sociology before.
hey what did you get in your GCSEs? I usually recommend against 4 a levels. Most unis only look at three of your grades and doing an extra a level will very rarely put you at an advantage to those who do three. I was originally thinking about taking further maths as a fourth subject but ended up choosing against it after doing more research. Unless you WANT to do a fourth just because you really want to and enjoy the subject i would advise against it. This way you can put more time and effort per subject giving you better results, which actually affect your application.
Reply 2
Original post by biologyfruit
hey what did you get in your GCSEs? I usually recommend against 4 a levels. Most unis only look at three of your grades and doing an extra a level will very rarely put you at an advantage to those who do three. I was originally thinking about taking further maths as a fourth subject but ended up choosing against it after doing more research. Unless you WANT to do a fourth just because you really want to and enjoy the subject i would advise against it. This way you can put more time and effort per subject giving you better results, which actually affect your application.

my school likes it if students pick four in yr 12 and drop it in year 13 if they want. I want to do four so that i can drop one the year after if i dont enjoy something.
ive not got all my gcse results yet but i think its like 7-9s
Reply 3
Original post by biologyfruit

+1, although the one benefit to taking four A level people usually miss is that you then have the option to drop one you don't like

i took 4 AS levels and dropped my least preferred one in the second year. had i only taken 3, i would've been stuck with the one i went on to drop (because i couldn't have known i disliked it A level until i started it)

for op, i'd take both if you're fine with the workload, but stick with geography if not

Quick Reply

Latest